The most bullcrap boss/es.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Arontala said:
Does anyone remember the final stage for Fire Emblem?

Trying to get through that mission with no-one dying was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.
I actually did that first time. The second fire emblem however, can go shove it. That game frustrated me to no end and that's without bosses!

Ruag

Nov 18, 2009
Kazuma in Yakuza 4.
Up to that point you learn to use a fast character, they change it for a guy slow as dead snail with a brand new set of moves you know nothing of and BAM a fight against a guy that can stun lock you for 70% of your health. I stopped playing the game.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
AuronFtw said:
Fucking Motaro from Mortal Kombat. Cheater teleported, reflected freeze beams, and shot tail lasers.
As much as I hated Motaro, Shao Kahn was so much worse. Motaro I could at least beat every now and then. Shao Kahn on the other hand liked to block everything and beat me to death with a hammer. Eventually I found the cheat codes and beat him by turning off his ability to block, but Jesus Christ he was impossible for me otherwise. One of the many reasons I refuse to play any variation of MK3 again.

Lucian The Lugia

Nov 4, 2011
I'd have to give all my votes to Dark Raven's Second Form from Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. What you had to do was catch these projectiles that the boss threw at the right time, so you could roll them back at him, and catching them was nigh impossible.

Although I have the rest of Giant Palace unlocked so...somehow I managed to do it.

Also gotta mention not just Seth, but T. Hawk and Zangief from SSF4. I just dreaded seeing them as my next opponent.

And while we're on the subject of fighting game characters; Unlimited Hazama in BlazBlue Continuum Shift is a pain...although not so much anymore now that I've gotten better. My only fear is how hard he'll be with his new Distortion Drive in EXTEND.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
There was one final fantasy boss that was pure bullshit. Can't remember which game it was in or the name of the boss, but it had this attack that did damage based on YOUR damage. If you were over leveled that attack did enough damage to guarantee a TPK.

Yes that's right, taking some time to level past the boss resulted in the boss stomping your face into the ground. How's that for bullshit?

Joccaren said:
Haven't done the mages guild boss yet, too busy with my over 9000 other quests that every bugger wants to give me. This explains my feelings well when it gets to the 5 second or so town quest giving bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlC6Z0iRoOA

Do yourself a favour and bring along a few scrolls of summon storm atronach for it. The bugger is scaled up to level 50 no matter what, and throws really powerful shock spells around. Scrolls mind you, he's got a mind control (Or maybe frenzy) daedra spell that will see anything summoned by spell or staff turned against you.

RedFox742 said:
Yeah, Sephiroth was a secret battle in both games and probably the hardest in each (save for some of the ridiculous stuff in the Japanese Final Mix, with Roxas and whatnot.)

In which game he was more difficult is a matter of opinion, but I think the first, because he was cheaper. It took figuring out a very specific attack pattern to even touch him, and then you needed to wail on him for a good two minutes (depending on your level) to make his health bar even start to dip (and he had five of them, six including the invisible one.) By the end of the battle he had attacks that were beyond impossible to block or dodge, so you just had to frantically heal and hope to sneak in a chip attack now and then.

In the second game he had FIFTEEN health bars, but due to reaction commands and Sora's generally upgraded skills, it was actually an easier fight, even on the Expert difficulty. There was still a good degree of trial and error, and most of his attacks were basically insta-kills (the perks that let you hang on to a sliver of life no matter what were beyond essential), but with the right skills you could knock the silver-haired, silver-tongued punk into the air and wail on him for a good dozen or so hits, then repeat. It was actually possible to beat him without even getting touched, but it was much easier to let him launch you (which did very little damage), then strike back and pound away.

Of course, both battles were much easier if you had the patience (and boredom) to grind Sora into the 80s level-wise.

In the second game the fight wasn't between you and Sephiroth, but between your ether stockpile and his HP bar. The whole thing consisted of trinity limit--->chug pot--->repeat until one of the two ran out.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
leet_x1337 said:
How about the one that's literally unbeatable unless you get bullet-time, and there isn't a bullet-time button so the boss gives you bullet-time just before attacking, and even then you probably still won't dodge it?
~~~~
I'll leave you to check all your gaming codices to figure out who this is (you probably won't find it anywhere) and move onto someboss else: Sho Minamimoto, from The World Ends With You. Both times. Mostly because 90% of the time, just before you hit him, he teleports. Right behind you so he can hit you harder. And most fights in that game are pretty short - this one usually takes about 7 minutes. And you have to bring your best health pin, because you will take a lot of damage. And that's on normal.

(Protip: you're not meant to win round two, and he only teleports when you touch him directly with the stylus. And I beat both forms on hard before working that out.)
Did you ever fight Panthera Cantus?
Mr H, on Another Day on top of pork city.
Yeah, That took me hours. Definitely one of the toughest bosses I've faced in a long while. Still enjoyed it though. A lot.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
If anybody here has played Monster Hunter Tri, you'll know. That game is a game made up of only boss fights, and you'd better have a good hour or so of free time because they don't go down easily.

Kiytan

Feb 23, 2008
Hisshiss said:
Funny this comes up today, a few hours ago I reached the point in Terraria where you have to go kill the Wall of Flesh to advance, and although I knew he was death, I did not know to what extent.

My first attempt ended with me taking out about...4% of his health before plummetting into a pit of lava and proceeding to drown/burn.
the easiest way I've found to beat him is this:
Make a hellavator (2 wide tunnel straight down to just above the hell layer, and add some water at the bottom to easily get up and down). Then with all the stone you got from mining the hellavator, build a bridge as far left and right as you can be bothered (takes maybe 15 mins) then run to one end and summon him, run backwards and spam-fire ranged weapons (a phoenix blaster is a pretty good choice). He's actually not too difficult, just be warned the stuff that spawns after him: fecking hard

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
DustyDrB said:
blank_64 said:
3rd Deus Ex Boss, without augmentations or any upgraded weapons (I was doing a no kill run and just sold all my upgrade kits)... I died in pretty much 1 hit and had to slowly crawl through the battle saving once every minute... Took me about 2 hours.
Ummm...then this might make you mad.

Actually, no way that can make you mad. That still makes me crack up.
You can't perform a takedown without augmentations, though. And even with them, that method didn't work for me. Personally, I bought the Typhoon augmentation and shot it four or five times in his face (then never used it again).

Mordekaien said:
Propably Gurdy from The Binding of Isaac...
Oh, gods, that thing is awful.

AuronFtw said:
Fucking Motaro from Mortal Kombat. Cheater teleported, reflected freeze beams, and shot tail lasers.
Wow, here's a nice one. I forgot how much I hated that guy.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Siskel and Ebert. Otherwise known as Orstein and Smough from Dark Souls. Solo, no summoning other players. They...they did things to me.....
This. Seriously, fuck Ornstein. Fucker kept attacking me through Smough and I could barely get a hit in without getting hit myself.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Mobius Evalon said:
Inherent to the term "boss" is an arbitrary NPC that is important to the plot somehow, who is thusly magically able to take a tactical nuclear missile to the face and only lose a sliver of health.

The entire concept of a boss fight is BS, and I've run into so few games where a boss character can die as easily as anyone else that I can't even recall which games they were. I simply cannot stand any boss that is a damage sponge, even more so when only a specific type of attack can damage it.
Yeah, I liked how the "boss" characters in, say, Fallout New Vegas, were just humans, who died by means of bullet to face (except maybe the ones in heavy powerarmor) very quickly.

In Skyrim, when the draugr overpowering gets all too noticable, I tend to just cheat my meleedamage up to 5000 or so (player.forceav meleedamage 5000) and beat the shit out of them with a puny iron dagger or something.

It would be very nice if someone made a mod for skyrim that turnes arrows-to-faces into lethal one-shot kill options. Helmets should then give a deflection chance or something. Damn you Draugr Death-lord guys!

Mystify

Apr 15, 2009
Dr Namgge said:
Chase bosses, where they run off, and you have to dodge a load of shit to get close enough to hit them. Usually all it takes is one wrong move, and you lose all your progress getting closer and the boss goes to maximum distance whether you were still ages away, or a couple of inches.

Worst one of those I ever fought was in Sonic Generations (a game where four out of seven bosses are actively fleeing from you). The last boss has you doing the usual Super sonic thing of "lol I'm invincible, but if I hit anything I get knocked back, and I need to keep my rings up or I die for some reason". The only way to even try to get close to the boss is to boost constantly, so you're dodging stuff that will appear half a second before you can react to it. Furthermore the boss itself has an attack where it teleports it's arms to you that can leave them right infront of it's one weak point.

But all of that is nothing compared to it's final trick. It arbitrarily, and randomly switches between the two perspectives, side on, and infront. Everytime it does you have to swap as well, a move which losses all the distance you had gained, and can stop you from grabbing any rings. The only hint you get that it's switching is a character announcing it, as it's doing it, so you've no way of knowing if you're getting close enough to win, or if you're wasting time.
I hated the bosses in sonic generations. The rest of the game is good, but you are right, the chase bosses are horrible.

However, the need to keep up the rings is not arbitrary on the final boss. That is a normal attribute of supersonic, has been since the first sonic. Being supersonic burns through rings, so when you are on a boss where supersonic is needed to live, ring management is key. Granted, they could have handled that aspect better, but the fact that it was there is fine.

I also agree that the bosses in human revolution were borked. first playthrough was a pure stealth/heacking pacifist build, and hte bosses where nothing but pain. Second runthrough I built for combat and pain, and they functioned much better. Considering that the entire game is about making choices as to your playstyle, and is pretty much begging for the pacifist stealth build, having bosses that fly in the face of that is a fail on many levels.

The mage guild boss was also BS. If I recall correctly, he has some serious magic resistance. And likes the throw mana-sapping electircty bolts that devestate you. I had to contually dart out of cover, through a spell to scratch him, duck into cover, regen my mana, heal, regen my mana again, repeat. Even using speciala ablities, powers, and potions doesn't give you enough of an edge to really deal with him, and I emptied several high-level staffs into him.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
geekRAGE said:
This isn't a boss fight but on batman arkham asylum the fight with all the generic henchmen right before the fight with the joker. The one where more jump down from the balcony with the big dudes. On the hard difficulty, omg that area took me like 637585 tries to finish -_-
Am I the only one that found that fight hard?
That took me an embarrassingly long time to beat, especially considering how much easier the Joker fight was afterwards (still took me a while, but nothing compared to what you described)

But in terms of worst boss fight in terms of BS, I'm about to win the thread: Gears of War 2.
Spoilers (in case anyone still wants to play GoW2 for the story?):
After going through all sorts of trouble to help get a nuke in position to explode/sink Jacincto, which is a really retarded plan in itself (you spent the entire rest of the game trying to prevent the worm from doing the exact same thing), the helicopter f---ing drops it into the Imulsion. But then a random Locust Brumak, thousands of which wandered around the Imulsion every day for decades, suddenly turns into a Lambent Brumak, which you reckon can be just as powerful as the nuke anyway. Then for the actual fight, you point a laser at it 2 or 3 times while slowly circling it in a helicopter on autopilot. Boom, splash, credits. The gameplay is laughably simple for a final boss, the story is abysmally stupid (the secret post-credits reveal is that, suprise! Destroying the last refuge of humanity might have been a bad idea!), and the whole thing was extremely disappointing compared to the first game's epic ending.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
Has to be Liquid Snake in MGS2 for me on Euro Extreme, I just couldn't beat the damn guy even though I was doing everything right! Anyway on like my 100th attempt a friend came over and he had a try and beat him first go... Best thing was though on his MGS2 save he was stuck on the Rays on Euro Extreme and so we put his memory card in and I beat that boss for him, what's that saying about back scratching again?

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Stingy Fellow said:
What/who is the most infuriating boss type enemy you have ever faced down in a video game?
Barring any really hard fights, what was the biggest lemon of a showdown you can remember?

I'll go first.

I just had to reload for the Nth time and break my rule of not going into any difficulty lower than normal to get past this incredibly obnoxious archer draugr boss in Skyrim who Fus-Ro-Dah'd me all over the cave and turned my svelte mage body into a Breton pincushion, and it got me wondering what some other people might consider a hard or just plain annoying boss.
If you ever come across paralysis potions, these can come in handy when dealing with foes who will spam-fuck your ass off and have a ton of health.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
tanis1lionheart said:
ZOE2 there was one boss that you had to grab to hurt, because if you didn't it'd kill some chick it captured.

To this day I still can't beat it w/o cheating...even on easy mode.

Rest of the game? Fine, hard on hard mode, but I can still beat the rest of it.

Just-that-one-frelling-boss!
really you had trouble with viola ardjet? well i had trouble too but really its all about timing your hits with her hits so you break her guard i had more trouble with that boss when i ''cheated'' because she died in one or two hits.

OT: sephiroth KH 2 i have never been able to defeat him.
actually every bonus boss in the kingdom hearts franchise is a pain in the ass.