The most disappointing thing you learned as a kid?

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
Finding out that most people are selfish and will accept and (if your lucky) thank you for your help. But won't return the favour as often as you would think. In my opinion, it's just right to help someone who's been out of their way to help you in the past.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
When I realized there is no god. I was about 6 I think.
Sigh... So much for making it past one page without someone saying it. Y'know. I don't blame you, so much as I blame myself for not seeing it coming. I literally thought, as I wrote my opening post, "Should I put a 'Please nothing about God.' in here? Nah. Nobody's going to go there. They're better than that." Man I'm stupid.

Twilight_guy said:
Definitely the "there is no Santa" talk. Still, I think the world is much more interesting when you understand it. Its not made of magical rainbow unicorns and raisin bread dragons but sometimes the real world is more interesting.
Says the guy with the Twilight Zone avatar. <(''<(

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
yeah, that sucks. ever since i was 5 i fear death now, i can thank my dad for that revelation -.-

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
When I had my mid life crisis at the age of 10. That's kind of worrying.

But to be a bit more OT: When I learned that toilet humour was not actually funny.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
That I would never be omnipotent.

I planned for years to catch either Santa Claus or the tooth fairy - not the Easter bunny, because of assumed communication issues - and convince them to give me magical powers, which I would then use to get more magical powers, until I became all-powerful.
Failing that, I'd search for and recover some kind of artefact that would get me started on my journey. But by the time I was old enough to stay awake for most of the night, I'd begun to realise that Santa wasn't coming, and that I would never get totally kick-arse powers.

Yeah, I was a weird kid.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Kenko said:
When the school-nurse told me that I was never going to be tall.
It's okay, I'm a short cake too. :D

I think the toughest lesson I learned was from my great uncle. I shot a bird and killed it, and when I realized what I had done; I asked him to fix it. "You fix all my toys for me," was my response and he replied as gently as he could not. He said, "As you get older you will understand that there are consequences for your decisions and actions and you'll have to learn to live with them."

It was a harsh lesson but I do appreciate it.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Mr Thin said:
That I was gonna go to hell because I wasn't baptised.
As far as I believe, I don't think that you're gonna go to hell for not being baptised. I think God's a little bigger than this: "You baptised?" "No." "Oohhhh, yeaahh, looks like you didn't get the memo. Sorry."

See you in heaven :D.

OT: When I realised that this 'sex' thing will take up a lot of time in my male mind. Still trying to deal with it now. :/

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
When I was 10 my mother told me the big bang never happened.

I think I was confused for a while after that because the internet told me that it did happen.

Now I'm just dissapionted at my Mother for being so misled.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
When I learned that nothing lasts forever. I learned that when my grandpa died when I was six. Then our dog died two years later. Those two events really had a big impact on me.

*sniff*

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
When I learned (or realized) that after college, I most likely won't have any more summer vacations.

WolfThomas said:
Anit-climaxes.

In primary school we had this librarian who each week would teach us literary trends/tropes etc by enacting them. I honestly can't remember any of the other things except this day. He told everyone we'd learn about anti-climaxes and that there would be MacDonalds for everyone. For an hour he strung everyone along, even sending me to the office to check that it was coming (they were playing). Then five minutes before lunchtime he came in grave faced and told us that the MacDonalds wasn't coming and that was an...anti-climax. I think half the kids broke into tears.
That guy sounds awesome

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
DoctorPhil said:
That every time I wank it will never be as amazing as the first time.
i dont have that problem, its actually gotten better for me (though that might be because i hit puberty about 5 years after i started...) my problem is my right arm has more muscle.
Viral_Lola said:
Kenko said:
same here! except the shortest person in my family (excluding me) is my mother. who is 5'8. she's an inch shorter than her sister. thats just the women. her YOUNGER brother is about 6'1.
OT: everything i learned in P7 sex ed. put it this way: my best friends mother watched the same video as us in primary school, and she was about 40 at the time and "it was old back then...". P7 is when you're 10/11.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
DJDarque said:
When I learned that Dr. Seuss drew racist, American propaganda cartoons during World War 2.
Wait, what? You mean the same Dr. Seuss that drew these?

Wait, how did that last one get in there?

You have to keep in mind that the Japanese were commonly depicted in this fashion during the War as a way to mollify the fears of white Americans and...oh dear, I'm still not helping my argument, am I?

Well, let's just say Theodor Seuss Geisel was more complex than most people realize and leave it at that.

Back on-topic, it was probably when I learned about the more sordid events in my country's history, such as the slave trade and the treatment of the Native Americans. Fortunately I eventually came to the realization that since I wasn't even born during these events, I had no reason to feel guilty about any of it. This belief only became stronger during the intervening years, when I learned that just about every country has committed grave injustices in the past.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
You're not meant to jump in custard.
That is when I truly became an adult, and lost all true meaning of childhood.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
DJDarque said:
When I learned that Dr. Seuss drew racist, American propaganda cartoons during World War 2.
Wait, what? You mean the same Dr. Seuss that drew these?

Wait, how did that last one get in there?

You have to keep in mind that the Japanese were commonly depicted in this fashion during the War as a way to mollify the fears of white Americans and...oh dear, I'm still not helping my argument, am I?

Well, let's just say Theodor Seuss Geisel was more complex than most people realize and leave it at that.

Back on-topic, it was probably when I learned about the more sordid events in my country's history, such as the slave trade and the treatment of the Native Americans. Fortunately I eventually came to the realization that since I wasn't even born during these events, I had no reason to feel guilty about any of it. This belief only became stronger during the intervening years, when I learned that just about every country has committed grave injustices in the past.
Hence why I said propaganda. I know he drew the others, but it's one of those things that I learned later when I was older.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
When I learned that you couldn't get an education in the field of "Inventors". I really, really, wanted to be an inventor like Gyro Gearloose when I grew up. So instead I'm studying physics. Close enough.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
William MacKay said:
DoctorPhil said:
That every time I wank it will never be as amazing as the first time.
i dont have that problem, its actually gotten better for me (though that might be because i hit puberty about 5 years after i started...) my problem is my right arm has more muscle.
Viral_Lola said:
Kenko said:
same here! except the shortest person in my family (excluding me) is my mother. who is 5'8. she's an inch shorter than her sister. thats just the women. her YOUNGER brother is about 6'1.
OT: everything i learned in P7 sex ed. put it this way: my best friends mother watched the same video as us in primary school, and she was about 40 at the time and "it was old back then...". P7 is when you're 10/11.
5 8' is short in her family?! Then I would look like an Asian gnome standing next to any of them.