The most famous person from your town/city

ArcaneArchery

Sep 5, 2011
I'm from Portsmouth (the original one in England) and the most famous person born here that I can think of is Charles Dickens. Isambard Kingdom Brunel was also born here.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Pope Francis. Not a massive fan of the guy though.
...You mind if I ask why? I hear nothing but praise for the guy everywhere I go, so I'm interested to see why somebody wouldn't like him. Not trying to detail the thread, just curious.

On-topic, eh, not a lot. Slovakia isn't exactly great for famous people. Got a lot of half-Slovak celebs, though. Jason Mraz, Lily Cole. I think Stephen Fry is distantly related to Slovak Jews as well. That's pretty much it, though.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
I'm going to cop out and use my County.
Sir Winston Churchill born in Blenheim Palace Oxfordshire.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
I think the current Duchess of Cambridge is from my town.

More of interest to me is John Winchcombe AKA Jack O'Newbury [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_O%27Newbury], who was a major figure in the English cloth trade around the 16th century. Also, Richard Adams [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Adams], author of Watership Down, which is set around parts of Newbury and nearby parts of Hampshire.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Space Butterfly said:
I was born in London but that is unfair so I will go with where I live now.
not sure if these two were born here but they both live close when they not away acting
Patrick Stewart
Ben Kingsley (was actually at my house once)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're both Yorkshiremen by birth, though Ben Kingsley actually grew up in Salford - which is my neck of the woods.

We also have Christopher Eccleston, Emmeline Pankhurst and James Prescott Joule. Yaaay!

I could cheat and list a few from my county, but I'd be here all night. :p

BlackBark

Apr 8, 2010
Nobody famous I can think of born where I live now. I used to live in the same village as Terry Pratchett, though.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Jim Carrey and John Candy were both born in Newmarket. The band Barenaked Ladies are from here too, as is Glass Tiger for anyone who knows who they are.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
My hometown? No one. The town next to mine? The only person would be Tim O'Brian, out of Worthington, Minnesota. Beyond him there's... pretty much no one from this area; no one noteworthy anyway.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Lets see what Reno, Nevada and Sparks, Nevada have(they're so close together they're basically one city, literally it's impossible to tell where one starts and the other ends.):

Curtis Hanson(film director, producer, and screenwriter)
Jennifer Harman(Professional Poker player)
Jim Gibbons(Former Governor, Current House Rep)
Chris Carr (NFL Player, currently for the New Orleans Saints)
Shannon Bahrke (Winter Games Olympic Athlete)
Mädchen E. Amick (Actress)
Paul Laxalt (Former Governor, Senator, and RNC Chair.)
Julia Mancuso (Winter Games Olympic Gold Medallist)
Anne Henrietta Martin(First Woman to run for the US Senate)
Kevin Stadler (Professional Golfer)
Willy Vlautin (Author, Songwriter for Richmond Fontaine)
Dr. J. Buzz Von Ornsteiner (Famous forensic psychologist among other things)
Dawn Wells (Miss Nevada 1959, Actress, most notable for her role as Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island)
Joel Wieland (MLB Pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers)

That's not nearly all of them as I recall but all I could find.

kissthebottle

Apr 5, 2015
This is hard since I'm from a major city. Philadelphia has lots of stars. I will just pick my faves who are

Bradley Cooper

Tina Fey

Peter "Tyrion Lannister" Dinklage is from right around the area in New Jersey I just moved to. So that's cool.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Pope Francis, Maradona, Fangio, Ernesto "Che" Guevara...
All of them are argies and from Buenos Aires. I guess you could safely say that every argentine that has "made it big" is either from Buenos Aires or from other city called Rosario.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
kissthebottle said:
This is hard since I'm from a major city. Philadelphia has lots of stars. I will just pick my faves who are

Bradley Cooper
Bradley Cooper is from Philly?
(God, I miss Philly so much)

atomic304

Feb 28, 2015
There's a few significant people from here, including a supreme court justice, but my favorite is Sam Kinison, deceased comedian.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I haven't got a clue. At least, not for the town I'm from.

The nearest city is Melbourne, so there's likely plenty of famous Australian people from there...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Some members of Nightwish used to live there. And the swimmer Hanna-Maria Seppälä is quite famous too, though she isn't as relevant as she was a decade ago.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Dolph Lundgren was born and partially raised in the same suburb of Stockholm as me, which is pretty cool. He's not exactly the "hometown boy" sort of celebrity, he's been all over the place and probably identifies more as an American than a Swede these days. But still!

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Dunno about where I live now but the town iwhere I graduated from high school was the birthplace of Ladybird Johnson, President Lyndon Johnson's wife. (Jeez I. Hope I got the name right.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Markus Frind. Creator of Plenty of Fish. Yeah, that shitty dating site. Hudson's Hope, British Columbia.