The New Shiny Escapist

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I'll let other people comment on aesthetics and ease of use and such, as these don't matter enough to me to get up in arms about them. I just want to report an ACTUAL problem and hope it doesn't get buried (or wasn't already mentioned three other times) before someone sees it to fix, because it's a pretty significant impact on usability.

The videos page is not showing the most recent videos for nearly all of the series. A lot of them are backdated to around the last week of November. The people who miss the sidebar video list (of which, admittedly, I am one) could adapt by just clicking the Videos link at the top of the page and looking at the resulting page for recent updates... except, they're not updating properly.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
The only real gripe I have with the new look is oh-so-very small but I feel it's important.

While the forums are fine, I've just read through the latest Extra Punctuation and now my eyes hurt. The text on the main screen and articles needs to be darker or starker as at the moment it doesn't stand out enough to be comfortably readable.

Just my 2-cents

Wardy

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I'm already used to it. I already forget what it used to look like. The grey background makes it a lot easier on the eyes. But I'd still like to be able to pick my own themes and colors. Surely can't be that hard to implement. Something like Windows has.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm getting used to it. I still say I need the blue borders and the bar to the shows back, although I must say the dropdowns work very well.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
It just looks to busy and messy. To much stuff everywhere, complicated, cluttered. The previous version was compact and simple. I have no idea why they bothered with a redesign if it just makes the site look worse. But I guess I will just get used to it so i can catch up with Bob and ZP.

Santhenar

Dec 27, 2007
Bye bye escapist. I used to use this site as an example of unique and beautiful web design. Now it makes me want to dig my eyes out. Bright, impossible to see anything. While a navigation bar may have seemed like a good idea, it just makes you look like a cheap rip off of every other gaming site out there.
Somehow all the white space actually makes the site look much more cluttered.

And what happened to the news feed? I loved that thing. And the video bar on the right?

I'm sorry about all the time and effort it must have taken to make this, but it just cannot remain this way, and if it does then I cannot visit it.

_Russell_

Jan 5, 2009
Trujkin said:
this revision not only creates a more beautiful and readable site,
A more readable site?

If you needed to make code/layout changes then fair enough, I?d deal with it. But almost every piece of text on the whole site is hard to read and the colour scheme seems to be designed by someone wants to users to go blind.

I'll have to adjust to the new layout but I can't adjust to horrible new 'eye-strain' text, please fix it, I like the Escapist & I rather not abandon it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Alcamonic said:
Possible lag solution
Clearing my chase with Ctrl + F5 on Firefox worked for me. Now it seems to run as... well as before.
This post is underrated...

Thank you for that, my internet, and this site are much faster!

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
As much as I like the design, I'm still having a plethora of problems... 404 errors after posting, site freezes, long load times, etc. I would like to at least not get a 404 error every single time I try to post something.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Buzz Killington said:
Is the "this forum has yet to receive a topic" problem showing up a lot lately for anyone else?
I did get it a couple times today, quite an inconvenience....

N3Burgener

Feb 10, 2010
adalekplunger said:
In the end, I just wish that you had at least held on to the old sites color-scheme and design, because that "cluttered" feel actually gave it personality,rather than what i'm currently looking at.
This is exactly how I feel about the new design. It looks bland, like it's deliberately trying to be void of style or aesthetics, mostly because of the lack of descriptive text and the way everything just "floats" on the background. The old design may have been "cluttered" but it was descriptive and gave context to all of the features.

All of that extra "stuff" on the website glued things together and gave an overall consistency to the site. Now, it's like you replaced that "glue" with "air" and it just doesn't look tight any more. It's just random pictures and headlines floating around.

It used to be that I'd visit the front page and click an article because I thought "that looks interesting, I'd like to know more," and now I'm clicking articles just to figure out what the hell they're about. "Thanks for Failing," "Console Revolution," "My Love For You is Ticking Clock"? These are just random headlines to me, and that scrolling window is even worse because sometimes we don't even get the full headline.

Because of the new "airy" design there's even less content "advertised" on the front page, and I have to click to a few different subpages to get to get a better picture of what all is happening on the website. In the long run it's not a big deal, but I miss the convenience of being able to casually browse the front page and see everything of interest, complete with the descriptive text underneath everything.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I preferred the site when it was predominantly blue, as all this bright white is making my eyeballs bleed, but as for the actual functionality of the site, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

EDIT: I just noticed the drop down menus at the top. I love this redesign now.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I have a minor complaint that I'd like to see resolved at some point. Okay, actually I don't think this one is very minor.
I can't for the life of me find a direct link to the video galleries anywhere. For example, if I want to get to the collection of Zero Punctuation videos, I have to run a search on Zero Punction, bring up a video, go to Yahtzee's profile and then click the link from there. And for the ones who don't put their escapist video gallery as their homepage, like, say Moviebob, I still haven't found a way to get there at all.
I mean, you can play around with the colors and design all you want, but a good rule of thumb for good design is that a person should be able to get where they want to go in as few clicks as possible.

Edit: Ooooooooh, I see. There are drop down menus that don't come down because I use noscript. Well, glad I figured thet out.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
hey, just posting this here to report what I believe to be a glitch:

I'm in the MLP: Friendship is Magic user group, and sometimes the group chat entries won't show up. so I don't see what anyone has been saying.
I don't know if this is the case with other user groups.
this never happened with the previous lay-out of the escapist, so I think it has to do with the new version

it would be nice if you guys could fix this
thanks

Dujith

Female Dwarf Priest
Apr 6, 2011
Code needs work too besides the awfull snow blind.
Everyone shows up as a Guest beyond the first page. Logged in and using Chrome.

Btw, for an article that already has over 900 comments the amount of "likes" and +1's are realy realy low.

That alone should raise an eyebrow with the ones who made this layout. These days ppl will "like" anything. so getting 4 from all these comments and ppl who viewed the article, seems a tad low. Maybe its a hint?

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
Deviate said:
I love it... I wish there was an optional darker template, perhaps somewhere in the profile selection or something, but I can live with bleeding eyeballs. Inefficient site design I can't live with, so this particular change is very much welcome.
This. It seems a bit to whitey to me too. Add a little dark blueish or darkish something to it.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
What on earth kind of new bug have we stumbled upon now? users randomly reported, guests which all joined today, and all of them have 0 posts... >-<
Guest said:
Deviate said:
I love it... I wish there was an optional darker template, perhaps somewhere in the profile selection or something, but I can live with bleeding eyeballs. Inefficient site design I can't live with, so this particular change is very much welcome.
This. It seems a bit to whitey to me too. Add a little dark blueish or darkish something to it.
whoring it again: http://userstyles.org/styles/57994/escapist-magazine-fix-for-white-background