The New Shiny Escapist

Deludedfool

Dec 21, 2010
I understand the reason for wanting change, what i don't understand is how they possibly thought that this layout was an improvement in the first place. It comes across as far less organised with important sections such as news being relegated into much smaller less obvious areas.

Combine this with the fact that the colour schemes enough to give anyone a headache within a 5 minute period of reading anything (which is after all what most of this site is) and the fact that there doesnt seem to be any new features of note makes me wonder what the point of the redesign was in the first place as the most obvious reason for such a redesign is usually to accomodate new features being added or an improvement on the current ones

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Kross said:
adalekplunger said:
Ok, NOW I'm convinced that you're fucking with us. Any word on any other changes, or comments about the requested changes? Literally anything besides the post time bug?
Oh yeah, we're ignoring all of them. And deleting the accounts of everyone who dared dislike anything new.

Ahahaha, suckers!
That made me laugh :')

But seriously, can you tell us anything? i just want the borders sorting and i'm fine with the change :')

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Heh, i've just found out that many people are just to lazy to check things on here :')

You don't need to press the "Back" button to go to them homepage... See the big "THE ESCAPIST" right next to news...? Click that i dare you -.-

Second, can't find old ZP Or unskippables? Type them in the search bar and surprise surprise we get a list!

see, playing around with the site actually helps, instead of saying "OMG BLA BLA IS NOT HERE WAH WAH WAH" actually search the damn things! -.-

Also, click news, and guess what? we get recent news! the homepage just has the most popular i think. This community seems to be getting stupider...although admittedly admins if you had told us all this a few weeks ago you wouldn't be getting half the hate on here hehe :p

Now if everyone will excuse me, im going to watch old ZP vids...good day.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Kross said:
ph0b0s123 said:
My issue is that now the forums work on US time rather than converting to your local time for post time stamps. Now it is really easy to see when people have posted something, not. So the redesign is a step backwards to me. With the site showing it is more US that international...
That's a bug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech]. I'll fix it tomorrow. ;)
Thanks, working again now. Since that was turned around so quick I have this list of other things.....

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Alright guys, there should be updates coming very soon!! I can't really say more, but stay tuned. We have heard your complaint(s), it's just taken us a little time to work on it. Thank you all for your patience!

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Ok, Escapist, I'll accept your new design. After all, it's your site, fuck it, do whatever you want. I'll even accept the "whiter than white people" thing you've got going in the background and the fact that it lost it's je ne sais quoi that made it so special over the years, but for the love of God, please fix the lag.
It took me four minutes to get here and post this message. One hour ago the site wouldn't even start.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Nasrin said:
Alright guys, there should be updates coming very soon!! I can't really say more, but stay tuned. We have heard your complaint(s), it's just taken us a little time to work on it. Thank you all for your patience!
While it's not a complaint, could you add little dancing .gif snowmen and other Christmas themed images that will dance across the screen? Maybe even a flickering menorah to keep it festive.
And if you click them that Bieber thing happens!

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
NiPah said:
Nasrin said:
While it's not a complaint, could you add little dancing .gif snowmen and other Christmas themed images that will dance across the screen? Maybe even a flickering menorah to keep it festive.
And if you click them that Bieber thing happens!
Something like that is indeed in the works, never fear!

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Bob Kyuss said:
Yes, because something that roughly 90% of the people on the website (or at least on this forum) are complaining about, and a significant portion have eye pain actually looking at) is something to ignore almost completely when you are running a website.

If "all you hear" is the people who run this website trying to "clear things up", you arendt listening very hard. That would be fine, except they arendt listening either. =(
We are listening, really. News updates soon!

Crazedc00k

Mar 29, 2011
Bob Kyuss said:
Crazedc00k said:
Oh, wow. Just read up the thread here. Couple people who really don't like it and are taking personal offense. Guys, it's just a website, and you're a tiny sliver of the user base. Escapist not expensively wasting development time to return to the way YOU like it isn't them shafting you. Have a complaint? Voice it. All I hear are mods and authors trying to clear up confusion and help the users out. If that still isn't good enough, leave. Oh, and the captcha thing is really annoying, Management People.
Yes, because something that roughly 90% of the people on the website (or at least on this forum) are complaining about, and a significant portion have eye pain actually looking at) is something to ignore almost completely when you are running a website.

If "all you hear" is the people who run this website trying to "clear things up", you arendt listening very hard. That would be fine, except they arendt listening either. =(
I don't have any "eye pain;" if it bothers you so much tick down the brightness a bit when browsing. This forum represents everyone who considers the change worth complaining about, it maybe totals 2000 users, that's a ballpark estimate. Even if every single poster was world-endingly furious with the escapist, and they still said "forget you, we're sticking to it," youd think that meant that they didn't recognize it as a big enough part of the user base. Point is, don't arbitrarily assume your the majority voice. Also, I haven't seen any smarmy remarks from management--maybe theyve asked for clarification, but theyre being generally straightforward and polite, unlike the sliver of the community represented here.

adalekplunger

Dec 14, 2011
Nasrin said:
Alright, but what exactly is it that you're working on? What complaints are you taking into consideration? It's generic comments like "We're working on it" that make me feel that you're not really listening to us.

Although it is nicer than nothing at all...

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
adalekplunger said:
Nasrin said:
Alright, but what exactly is it that you're working on? What complaints are you taking into consideration? It's generic comments like "We're working on it" that make me feel that you're not really listening to us.

Although it is nicer than nothing at all...
I'm not allowed to say what it is because it's supposed to be a surprise. I can tell you that powers higher up than me will be making an announcement today on the matter :)

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I will give you that it is very shiny. As for problems, the new site took ages to load a few days ago, but that's pretty much gone now.

dl_wraith

Dec 21, 2007
Looking forward to it.

Not that this hasn't been heard already but the site is still incredibly slow here for UK users. So much so that it is almost unusable.

As with other constructive comments here (look ma, no rage) I find the current layout cluttered and the colours a little harsh. Index and news pages need to be returned to something akin to normal.

Much of the features you're trying to build in look like they befit a more modern, social media focussed content site. I'd like to give you a 'bravo for that' but frankly I despise the facebook integration here and have done for some time. That and the rediculous amount of ads running at any one time. If I want to use facebook, I'll go to facebook and if I want to be advertised at excessively I'll watch TV.

A great Escapist for me is something clean and organised where the content is good, the social interaction easy to get at when required and the ads not too intrusive. The 'frame' ads around many vids were a good idea - always there but not slowing you down or irritating you at every turn.

One last thing - optimise your pages please! I run a tablet as my main computer these days and your ads typically make it suffer. The amount of bandwidth required by Escapist pages even before you get to watch any streamed content is excessive and could probably be trimmed somewhat for the good of your users.

Please don't think I'm ragging on the site - the new layout looks like it has promise and I understand the need for ads and the popularity of Facebook. I just want one of my favourite sites to be a great place to continue coming back to week after week.

Good luck with any further work you do on the site.

adalekplunger

Dec 14, 2011
Nasrin said:
I'm not allowed to say what it is because it's supposed to be a surprise. I can tell you that powers higher up than me will be making an announcement today on the matter :)
Well at least that's something...

Although I can't think of a reason why a response to complaints about a redesign should be considered a surprise, I'll be waiting with cautious optimism. Thank you for the clarification.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5141-Santa-and-Me

Won't load, or appears to no longer exist (It's a newly uploaded video)

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I didn't get notification for messages in my inbox. In the old one, it would say "1 new messages" in bold red text.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Like so many others, I thought my browser was playing up when I logged onto this. Not really a good first sign.

I really really wanted to like this...but sorry, it's um; not to my taste. OK I hate it - and not a little bit. Enough to stop me coming to the site, even though I still want the content but I can't be arsed with the new layout. I was *just* about to sign up for Publishers Club for a self Christmas present, but since the change I don't come here enough anymore to warrant the money.1

Really busy and confusing, it seems that you do not understand how or why users liked your site. It was old-fashioned before, yes - but it was SO much easier to navigate, it was one of the primary reasons I would browse the site repeatedly in an idle moment. I have barely logged on once since the change, as the thought of navigating the site seems more like work than work itself.

Where's my nice splayout of news and events I could peruse and find new things to click and read from? Where's the side bar with the hottest new uploads? What do I want with a 'dynamic search bar' when I come here for you to give ME content, not for me to find it. You're not a fucking library.

The form of the old site may have needed some face work, but the FUNCTION of this one is fundamentally broken, and this far more important.

Please, please escapist:
1) check your site stats before and after the change.
2) Then don't make excuses for season or anything else. It's not me, it's you.
3) Come to senses and roll back change until you have fixed the new design to be navigable.

Sincerely;
A really disappointed, (former) high-traffic user.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It's too bright. It's too pale and white, whereas the light color of the previous configuration wasn't going to overload my eyes. I'm sorry, but I do not approve. Neverminding what software issues are cropping up, I can't get over the fact that - as opposed to a face-lift - the Escapist has taken a face-DROP. This will probably join my list of grumbles that I generally have with the place.