The New Shiny Escapist

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
At first I thought that my web-browser had died on me, but then I realized that it actually WAS the Escapist I was browsing. I can't really say that it's good or bad yet, will check back when I've done enough "research"(browsing) to actually formulate a strong opinion.

As a minor note, I like the new menu at the top, very nifty for reaching the featured content. I do wish there is a way to find "the latest updates" easily though. Maybe such a function exists and I haven't found it.

[edit] Just one small issue: Maybe it's just me, but DAMN this website is WHITE. Like, hurt the eyes kind of white.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
The Escapist was my favourite website regarding the aspect and I'm not just saying this. Now it's just ok. I know maybe I say this because of this sudden change, but I really don't see how this is better.
Maybe the functionality is improved. But I have a big problem with the text on the home page. It's either some font issue , I don't know, but I can't even comprehend the writing. It's like trying to read something after turning the Gamma to 90%.

Later edit : and seriously, after 5 minutes on the site my eyes hurt. My screen's brightness has nothing to do with it. I hope this issue will be fixed

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
First impressions aren't particularly good for me if I'm honest, the old home page had some character to it and, dare I say it, felt a bit welcoming. The new layout feels very blocky (there's a better word for this and I'll find it, until then it must remain 'blocky')and maybe even a little cluttered.

I'm sure I'll learn to live with it, but is that really a good thing? I'd rather like something that tolerate it.

Course, I could be the minority, in which case fair enough, go with the public opinion if it's the only way to survive, I'd rather have some Escapist than none.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Man a lot more rage than I expected, the forum is exploding with hate and its bot even that bad. I like this layout as well and I'm already used to this layout so if people want to rage about it that's fine but i will still be here shaking my head at them.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, it's something new alright. I've spotted several things that I really like (for example, showing more user groups), but there are things that aren't as dandy, I suppose. Tho, I'll try to not complain until I've gotten a better feel of the new system.
Also, is it just me, or are a LOT of the Escapists here really not that fond of change, or new things? I mean, look at Jimqusition, there was so much hate towards that show, and now most people thank god for making the Escapist upload his show here. I guess waht I'm saying is: no point in making this the end of the world, folks.

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
I agree with everything that has been said against this new layout.
At first I thought that there was a problem loading the front page.
It's hard to read through, the white background is horrible, and everything is cluttered.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
It looks like facebook now. Like... the current facebook. The bad one. With boxes and feeds everywhere, and everything way too spread out and inefficient.

Before it was compact, streamlined, efficient, and warm. Now, its facebook.

addendum: it took 48 seconds for the captcha to appear, then an additional 2 minutes to post.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
First impressions: The menu bar at the top is handier and I like the profile thing at the top-right. The background is ok, it just feels unfinished to me, but whatever. Beyond that, I liked your old layout when it came to the articles. It was very easy to find new videos, articles, and the latest news. It was all very organized. Now it feels random and clumped together. It took about a minute to find the latest news box and I'm still trying to figure out how the articles on the main page are laid out.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Edit: Accidental double post thanks to the website freezing several times while attempting to post.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
It looks like facebook now. Like... the current facebook. The bad one. With boxes and feeds everywhere, and everything way too spread out and inefficient.

addendum: it took 48 seconds for the captcha to appear, then an additional 2 minutes to post.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009

It's toooooooooooo bright for my liking. Other then that I can live with it, may take me some time to adjust to anything I haven't noticed yet but I'm sure I'll live...Gonna miss the old layout thought... *Moment of silence*

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I'm going to miss the huge list of everything in the order it was posted at the bottom. That's where I manually filtered through everything myself. Now all that's left of it that I can find is that box of five articles. I don't like that. And I really don't see how this is less cluttered than the old front page. Apart from the new look it's exactly the same. Random articles in random places.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Yikes... this is gonna take getting used to.

First impression is that it's quite boring-looking, compared to the old design, but I'm gonna see what I think after using it for a while. Don't wanna make quick judgment, y'know.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Im sorry but this is the worst website design I have ever seen and that is not an exaggeration. Its blindingly white and extremely messy plus it has the added bonus of making my computer chug for some unknown reason. This is like coming home and seeing that someone gave your house an aweful paint job and moved around your stuff.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
staika said:
Man a lot more rage than I expected, the forum is exploding with hate and its bot even that bad. I like this layout as well and I'm already used to this layout so if people want to rage about it that's fine but i will still be here shaking my head at them.
Did you notice the target of the rage? Not many people are saying "This is awful, your website is bad and you should feel bad" but there are a whole lot of people saying "well, I suppose I could get used to it, except for the bright white background.

It's a fairly minor amount of griping, considering such a massive website overhaul. I won't lie, I preferred the old layout, but I'm willing to give the new one a chance. Just as soon as it stops giving me headaches :-/

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011

addendum: it took 48 seconds for the captcha to appear, then an additional 6 minutes to post.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm not feeling as raged as I was during the last change and in the end the last change became one of my favourite site designs ever.

BUT

I haven't found a page yet which has access to all your new stuff immediately. I peruse almost all your content. If I want to nicely and easily click on everything new that I haven't clicked in a couple of days without having to click links I may have already clicked (so not having to check critical miss everytime without knowing if it's new) where do I go?X

Sorry the news page still exists. That's great then! It doesn't feel quite so comfortable to navigate back to where I want to go, but this has all been designed with touch and it's one of the least annoying touch redesigns I've seen in a long time

Also I love the new topbar, with the sensible categories and drop down menus. It feels like the whole site has become more open and manageable. Why yes you have that content, isn't it nice to see? It also makes everything feel a lot more immediate and accessible (even from the forums pages!)