The New Shiny Escapist

millerm277

Dec 14, 2011
I registered just to whine. With that out of the way:

- Your font size/video thumbnail ratio is terrible. The thumbnail is tiny, and the font for the title of the video is huge and awkward looking. Change one/both.

- You just did the same thing Gawker did. For everyone who owns a widescreen (which is pretty much anyone who's bought a monitor in the past 5 years), you're wasting 50% of my screen space because your site doesn't size to fit my screen, it desperately needs to scale.

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Just like Overclock you guys seem to forget that a number of people eyes hurt when starting at black text with a white background.

The contrast is not all that great on the main page. If you look at the the post in this forum the background seems to be a light cream colour. This is good for reading the forum post at the least.

Now look at the names of the posters and the home page the background is pure white. Looking at that text hurts on the eyes when you have a bright HD screen.

If we can change the background from pure white to a light grey (or some other colour with a better contrast) it would be a lot easier to read everything and my eyes would hurt less.

However I am liking the overall design changes. Very clean and looks quite awesome to be honest. I just don't like the colour choice for the background against the text colour.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
My eyes hurt from this. It's not even plain white. The sides look like they're dirty, instead of having a cool gradient.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
ewww, no. No no no. Dislike. WTF.

1) Need to somehow box off the content, its really odd to have huge areas of whitespace around what you are reading.

2) Top bar is wider than the content even though it looks like it was intended to match.

3) The big spaces around the highlighted articles make it look like something is misisng. EP looks almost right because of the 2 line heading.

4) Moving things when you are trying to read is INCREDIBLY distracting.

I do kinda like the new forum features on the front page.

I'd also add that the titles "NEWS" "VIDEOS" "Latest Content" etc need a bolder font. ATM its weaker than the text, looks odd.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
The background is way too bright, it really is starting to hurt my eyes whenever I try to read anything. Also the lack of real divisions and a shrinking of the news feed on the front page, everything seems way harder to find. Have separate lists on the front page for videos, features, news etc and for god sake drop the freaking endless white and it might work as a redesign.

Also from the announcement post:

"We have added a lot of "air" to the site overall, whether on the front page or individual content pages."

That whole sentence screams designer wankery, blank space is not a good thing.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Okay, the UI needs to get to know me and I need to get to know the UI better before I can make a comittment. But.. I only have one question.

Why so white?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
when i entered the site today my first though was "wow i must have mistyped the adress". my second though was "what were they smoking".
more like new shitty escapist.

More Open Design - We have added a lot of "air" to the site overall, whether on the front page or individual content pages.
usually sites work to REMOVE air. you added it. i guess tis time to fix that the manual way
were not allowed to talk about.

the popup navigation, and feedback boxes are just awful. oh well. i guess noone really cares about our rage anyway. will ahve to get used to it, or maybe find a decent looking site, not many of them left anyway.

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
well done worst site reboot since the BBC news.... it looks dated and has less information in a more cluttered layout.. Gratz! I mean light blue test on white?? wtf you trying to give ppl headaches? the Header bar Font is too thin it's almost eaten by the blue... who designed this? lol you 'paid for this?'

And while your at it - see your adds on the videos - i dont like mind them UNTIL you started raising the volume and there is no volume control! IAM SITTING A FOOT AWAY WTF ARE YOU DOING RAISING THE VOLUME THIS ISNT TV! I@M NOT MAKING TEA DURING AN AD BREAK!!!

The New Sh***y Escapist - fixed your title.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Looks and feels bad. Or, more precisely, looks and feels like shitty version of eurogamer.net.

Why? You had a distinct look, at least you could have kept the color scheme... Bah, everything is turning to shit in preparation for 2012.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
This has probably already been said, but I'll just throw my three main complaints up here for the heck of it (giving suggestions for solutions as well, since I'm apparently smart enough to "fix" this):

First, all the white is hurting my eyes. A more grey or blue tone (for example) would make it more bearable. Also, it feels a bit too Kotaku-like for my tastes.
Second, despite your efforts I feel it's not apparent whether a given post is a video, news item or an article. I'd suggest something like having different colours on the different section markers to make it clearer.
Thirdly, the news feed feels too small and inconsequential, which makes me a sad panda.

Great initiative, though. I'm sure I'll like it well enough in a couple of weeks, and it's certainly fresh and shiny so kudos for that.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Well, this is, polity a mess. The news feed is a wreck, five stories at a time? I know you can stagger off the main page and get at the full news feed, but honestly, why hide that?

The one good thing I can see is the header change, but the body of the site probably actually worked better before.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
The huge amount of white is really painful on the eyes, I'm not too big a fan of this, and I'm usually open to website change...

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
Looks like Facebook, ugly in other words. As said the colour scheme is pretty hard on the eyes. Everything looks cluttered. Site loads slow.

Canadian Fodder

Watcher
May 19, 2009
Needs to be darker and all shows/comics available on the first paige. Other than that, the layout looks kinda nice. Have to get used to it I guess.

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
Well, I guess it'll take some time to get used to, but I don't think the changes are all that bad. The news list could have been a bit larger, though. The rage and negative outburst to follow these changes is just a natural reaction of people who have been deprived of something they already got used to, but in time everybody will adapt to the new design. IMHO, only time will show whether the novelties introduced today are good or bad.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
For one, it's way too bright. Bring back the blue sides. Second, while I like almost everything about the new design, where's the page where I could check out every video series?

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
I'm getting low res text on the main page.I don't know if that's intentional.

Also I don't like it. I think the front page gives less information yet somehow manages to look more cluttered. I don't know how you managed that.

JackJL

Jun 18, 2011
I like the new top bar, but the list of consoles isn't doing anything for me with so little and unfocused content behind it.

Ok my list'o'grievances:

I really miss the list of videos on the bottom right. To have to go digging around menus for the LRR or Unskippable video on a freaking Tuesday is ridiculous.

If you're gonna have a scrolling news list, put in a scrolling control. I don't want to sit here waiting to see if that interesting title I glimpsed reappears.

Putting every news article, video, comic & feature the same style and importance is not helpful for navigation. Having the Skyrim bacon helmet fluff news story and comics and video content that the Escapist has paid for both at the same level seems assinine.

Why are news articles spread across 3 sections and the box at the bottom AND the scrolling panel? I would spread the news RSS box at the bottom across the full width of the column.

Such a shame that the "Old Site" pub club button at the bottom doesn't work.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
I don't say all that much on escapist many of you probably never seen me around but being a daily member this has got me stirred. So rather than ***** and complain. I give you a poem that my heart did proclaim. At least that adds some uniqueness to usual complaints.

Ode to Escapist (Twas the night before christmas style)

Twas 15 nights before Christmas, when all through escapist,
Almost every user was stirring, even the mods,
The new website was put up without even a care,
In hope that the users would not go in despair.

The users were face-palming with their hands on the head,
While visions of the old site danced in their heads.
And the escapist website on my monitor and I in my chair,
Wondered how the fuck did this get on air?

When on the forums there rouse such a clatter,
I sprang to the comments to see what was the matter.
Clicking to the forum at least that was a flash,
It might be the same but still not the best.

The flashing white on the new website shown,
Fogged the features and objects below,
When all of a sudden a box seemed to appear,
It was the article box and my oh dear!

With things clutter and not so quick,
I knew in a moment there had to be some dick,
More powerful and evil than any man that came,
As he whistled and screamed, Haha your cries are in vain!

Now Sally! now, Ron! now, David and Rickerson!
On cue! On, call! all night we be getting a-fixen.
From top to bottom to the large and the small!
Now hurry god damn it let's fix this issue all!

As the old site gone the users did sigh,
When they meet with obstacles, right on the fly,
So up to the top that the users did knew,
With hopes that the links at least worked the same too.

And then in flash something hit the escapist roof,
The running and pulling as each man went in a booth.
As I looked about, and was scrolling around,
Down the ladder the men came a bound.

Dressed in the quickest ware from their head to their foot,
Their clothes full of nerdy references that talked about loot.
A bundle of laptops and supplies hung on their backs,
As they took out the things out of the packs.

Thier eyes full of furry and not so merry!
Their cheeks flesh from the cold, honestly it looks scarry!
As they armed their tools like a hunter's bow,
the process was starting but it would be oh so slow.

They sat down at the desk biting their teeth,
As the smoke from their anger could lit up some beef.
Their faces stone cold and full of jelly,
As they turned on their PCs and rubbed their bellies.

Tired and over worked they hated their self,
and I feel for the workers, can't smite them myself!
A reassuring statement went off in their heads,
Soon gave know that their night was dead.

Simple words were said and they got to their work,
And starting to program and hate the big jerk.
And wishing they reconsidered the site that did pose,
And hoping the fixes would soon arose.

With that, the team went on with not even a whistle,
in hopes that soon they could sort out this missile.
But still they sat and complained as the boss went out of sight,
"This shit should have not launched, now it fucked up our night!"

My actual reaction to the new site:

Open chrome click escapistmagazine.com bookmark
In a daze look at the homepage
Do a double take
Spit out my hot coco
WTF happened here!
Desperation kicks in, click around to find what used to been
Realizes everything is fucked up
Pray to the gods of skyrim that this is some type of joke

Look I can be pretty forgiving because the website industry is my professional forte. However for a major site that is geared to a gaming community I'm not sure who the hell thought this would be a good design. This new piss poor design makes escapist actually look like there is less content. I loved the old design it was easy to navigate and had its own personality. Now? Well now it looks like start-up gaming site Z.

This brings me to a quick story, we were commissioned for a job of a high profile company that wanted to "update" their website. The CEO had his own terrible ideas which we told him to all hell that it was extremely bad idea to change the website in such a way. However the customer is always right we conceded and made the changes, launched the new website and they lost so many sales that they literally went out of business.

I'm not sure if this is the same here but sometimes you just need to look back and say hey programmer A or programming team A that we hired are professional maybe I should like them handle it. When people outside of the industry step in with their tastes well you pretty much get what you see now.

The homepage needs a redesign if you end up keeping this design and the pages of articles will need some color why not just keep that gradient through the whole page why just the outside? Too much white, at one point web 2.0 was the new thing now it's just absolutely annoying. In my eyes you guys took a step down in design not up.

The words from a humble web developer
who lost his way, on a site he frequently visited everyday.