The New Shiny Escapist

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
Miner said:
Robbo_89 said:
So I'll check back every known and again for improvement otherwise use my own time to make the browser render this pos well enough to not get a headache. I used to be a fan of this site however I see this as the start of the end for the escapist. Hope to see Yahtzee joining Extra Credits on a site that I can easily use.

R.I.P Escapist.
On the contrary i feel that the penny arcade website isn't very friendly at all. The escapist has some of the freindlyist staff running the website and i am positive that they are working on making the site better for all of us. also i would love to see another website that contains such a fantastic and intelligent communtiny.

In short i dont think that this is the end of the escapist that is a little dramatic. I believe that websites change whether we like it or not but the content of the website is still the same and i think that we just have to hope that they smooth the website over.

My freind this is not the end of the escapist it is only a new form that we must accomadate to (like youtube).

My only suggestion would be that the escapist offer a option (like a button) to switch back to the old formate! (again like youtube)

This is all i have to say.
he wasnt talking about friendly as in staff he meant user friendly.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
No sir, I don't like it.

Where's my nice list of your content along the sidebar where I could quickly check for new episodes/columns? What is it about web designers* that insist on making their websites less accessible every time they do a "redesign"?

*Does not apply to all web designers, only the ones I complain about.

saphirekosmos

Dec 25, 2008
The white is a bit much. Hard on the eyes. When it first loaded I though that there had been a problem loading. I think that is a bad first thought when you see a site. It still looks like the page only ever half loads o me. Pretty annoying personally. And woe to anyone who goes here in a dark room. O__O

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Eeeeeeeeh.
I really don't like it. It looks messy and is confusing to the eye. It's much harder to navigate and the white background is pretty mildly offensive

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ive been trying all day/night to like it, but im just not feeling it. I used to spend a fair amount of time on this site browsing and offending people with posts, but I guess ill be spending less time here for a while. Just...........bf3 flashlight.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Deathninja19 said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
OH NOES. A FREE SERVICE I AM NOT REQUIRED TO PAY FOR HAS CHANGED WITHOUT TELLING ME AGAIN.

I like it. =3 Boxes are nice.

EDIT: Though now I've had a couple of minutes, the white has started to stab the back of my eyes a bit. A slightly more off-white background (slightly grey) would definitely be much more readable.
OH NOES SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT THIS FREE SERVICE IS FUNDING ITSELF BY ADVERTISING THAT IS PROVIDED FROM ADVERTISING COMPANIES WHO JUDGED THE SITE WORTHY OF THEIR MONEY BY THE AMOUNT OF PAGE HITS WHICH COME FROM US, THE COMMUNITY.

We as readers should be alowed to voice our opinions no matter how justified or petty they are especially since if they scare away readers it could be detrimental to the site and the content providers.
The bolded simply reminded me of this in conjunction with my feelings towards what The Escapist did with this...eh, redesign...

You know what I come here for? To watch Yahtzee, MovieBob and a little bit of Jim Sterling just for some humor and perhaps some peculiar insights when they surface. That's all. Oh, and to share some of my own insights when the thread (or opportunity) presents itself.

Know what I get coming here now? A headache. A very LARGE headache; especialy since my eyes are photosensitive! Change is not always necessary. Though, I know changes aren't permanent...but change is.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
It looks different. Like everyone on the internet, I hate changes. Therefore I hate it.

For a few days -- maybe a couple weeks. After that I'll forget what it used to look like.

Then I won't have any more problems until the next time you change it.

disturbed_one

Jan 9, 2009
Duruznik said:
Sorry, not a fan. At all. I'm all for change, etc. etc., but this design is incredibly busy on the eyes. Why are the forums more marginalised? You have to scroll down to see the hot topics. Groups aren't as easy to access, either. I can't even find the groups portal.

The new design- the pale blue bars that head the sections- is in fact very busy on the eyes, and incredibly bright. It's just not very satisfying aestheticly.

Overall, this is a very, very disappointing change. The front page is cluttered, disorganised and takes forever to load.

Very disappointed.

EDIT: In case the staff is looking for proper feedback, I'll break it down:
- The colour scheme it unattractive- the pale colours are just, well, garish. The darker navy was better.
-The front page lacks any distinct dividers or visual cues to seperate sections. It looks cluttered.
-The bright white background is, well, too bright.
-The lag is incredible.
-The drop-down menus are nice.
And, at least for me, the fonts in the nav menu are a bit off.
The Pure white is killing the eyes, should have set it to a light gray.
There are some elements of the old site that remained here, hope that's not intentional.
It looks unfinished to me, and yeah the content isn't divided at all, there should be a center column background if the site won't be 100% window width, now it just seems like someone failed to link the css file properly.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I don't mind it, but it really is too white. All that background space needs..... something. I don't know what, but just not white. Beyond that its not bad. First few times I lagged a little getting into the site but it seems fine now. I like the fact that getting through the news feeds for further than the front page is faster, so in my opinion its alright, but fix the white background.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Sorry to say, but now it's just a massive, slow and bright clusterfuck.

My very first impression of the site today when I opened it was literally "What the fuck, did the CSS fail to load?", before I actually realized this was supposed to look the way it does.

The extended profile box on the main page (referring to the thing with recent posts and the such) is misplaced. Wrong colour scheme, badly placed text and it doesn't connect to the rest of the site at all.
Same goes for the tab buttons below it.

I like some of the new details, such as the new category/comments arrow thingy, or the dropdown menus, but a large part of the streamlined and considerably structured design was lost.

Now ... that said, I really, really miss the old content/teaser boxes. They gave a much more ... direct impression of what I am about to click here. With the current mix of two-colums, three columns and full width teasers on the mainpage, I refuse to click a single link there, simply because it a) loads too long and b) I need to check back thrice so I know I am actuall clicking the correct thing.

Right sidebar lost the main elements it held, the list of active seria and gained more advertisement/random notes about random stuff ... Not my favorite either.

Now, let's take a video, Big Picture Oscars -> VGAs ... Vid player too much width. Other than that hardly anything changed, except for the colour scheme ...

The new fonts and the totally empty box elements for the text cause a much harder to read text environment, when I look at the new EP. I tried to read it, got slightly past the first paragraph and then I stopped, simply because the layout is too bright and too open.

Overall, it's a nice new touch, and it's definitely "shiny" ... But it's nothing I appreciate, and - unless we can actually get the entire old layout back as an option (which I highly doubt, from what I saw by now) - I'd at least call for an option with the old navy blue colour scheme.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
good;
- the profile box in the top right, that will be useful. instead of recent posts, I'd prefer my messages though.
- the required reading is nice, but it should really be something less inflammatory than "required" if it's going to be at the very bottom.
- the news ticker thing is cool.
-the tabs at the top as drop downs to all the content is nice.

bad;
- waaaaaaaaay too much white. overly bright. i understand trying to be less cluttered but without the splashes of color to give context, the site feels even more cramped.
-i liked the most recent news box where it was(under the ad on the right side), but i do like the "latest, most commented, most views" tabs.
-what are the system tabs at the top for? you work in news not cheats or walk throughs, there is no reason for those especially since you don't do reviews of a game on each system.
-the stuff under articles was fine. Article, Facebook comments, boxes with the recent commented views articles. that worked this new thing where featured content is under the article I'm not liking.

Dalvyn

Sep 4, 2011
I just hate the font on the news. I don't even care about the white or complete ugliness of the first page, I just want to browse my news as easily as I use to... But now it is this hideous glob of stories and mess. They don't even have descriptions damn it!

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
krellen said:
Where's my nice list of your content along the sidebar where I could quickly check for new episodes/columns?
Additional, now that I've seen the site on my other computer at higher resolution: I literally cannot read the Recent Forum Posts or Twitter Feed sections at all. The font blends far too much with the background and is completely illegible. This is also largely true (though they still remain barely legible) for the by-lines and dates on the content items themselves.

I also find moving elements on a page very distracting, pulling my eye away from any other element on the page. Can the scrolling news box get axed?

GenuineCounterfeit

Jun 9, 2009
I really don't mind the new change, there is only ONE thing which I beg you to reconsider: THE FONT.

The font is just plain difficult to read, which is a bit of a bad sign as that is its only purpose.

Everything else I am absolutely fine with, but the font is just wrong. It's bad. There is no way around that. No matter how much you zoom in it's feels cluttered and difficult to read

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Trujkin said:
Culminating the last six months of hard work here behind the scenes, this revision not only creates a more beautiful and readable site, but also includes substantial new underlying technologies.
Ahahahahahahaha, I just stopped reading here.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Hitchmeister said:
It looks different. Like everyone on the internet, I hate changes. Therefore I hate it.

For a few days -- maybe a couple weeks. After that I'll forget what it used to look like.

Then I won't have any more problems until the next time you change it.
You're my hero. I love it when people I don't know type what I'm thinking.

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
I'll say that in my opinion it is harder to navigate, it feel less orderly, and there is less visibility of what's on the front page.

It also logs generic, blank and modernistic, and a little too clean.
Lacks the soul of the old escapist.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Wow. Well it's different. Maybe it will grow on me. Not like I have any room to ***** about something I don't pay for.