The New Shiny Escapist

Irottah

Dec 15, 2011
I see what you're going for but it still needs some work. I like that I don't have to scroll down so far to see all the videos but I miss being able to look at the 5 most recent for each. I don't look at the site every week so it's tedious to click on each page to look for videos I haven't seen. A favorites page with the old layout could solve that problem and give people a reason to sign up.

I also agree with the others who say the white background is unappealing. A simple 3D backdrop or just a darker color could go a long way.

Finally, there's the issue of the seemingly random front page. The other pages have titles for all their subcategories and are laid out in a logical manner. The front page, however, just has several mini-pages mashed together around unorganized and sometimes redundant features. I can't even see a pattern explaining why those features are on there. It's not chronological, it's not categorized, it's not based on popularity, it's just confusing.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I'd love to comment on the new look but as soon as I opened up my browser I went blind. :/

I think the community has spoken... But hey, whatever. I've dealt with uglier.

If this new "beautiful" Escapist makes them feel good then who am I to take that away?

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Okay, I think I've noticed a pattern emerging from the complaints here and it's similar to the complaints I heard about the Star Trek reboot. Everything is too bright and the layout makes no damn sense. Sounds a lot like "too much bloom, too many plot holes" to me.

I can't say they don't have a point. I mean, I'm with you on the whole change thing and all, I'll put up with it, but just because I don't complain as much doesn't mean my eyes are burning, too. I'll live with it and with time I'll get used to it. That doesn't mean the change was a good idea, though.

I'll give you one thing, I really like the drop down menus. It has never been easier for me to find non-ZP reviews.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
It took some time to sit down for feedback, but now's the chance and I can't get around that the whole site just got a lot more impractical to me.

I usually come here to read feature articles and watch the videos.
Before the change, I could see all new additions on the front page in chronological order without missing anything, even when I haven't visited the site for a week.

With the new design, I check the front page which seems to have the last 4 entries of written and video content. That in itself seems fair to make room for other content, but now I'll have to do at least two clicks more just to see the new stuff (Features and Videos) and even there it is not listed chronologically. What I am truly missing is something like the simple "last 10 feature videos" bar that was on top of the old layout - not necessarily in the same design, but with that kind of functionality and scope.

As an example, if I click on Videos right now, I see what I presume to be the 3 latest videos and the 3 "whatever?" videos followed by all different feature channel.
Those channels do not list the recent entry, but instead something from the last month.
The "Features" page handles that a bit better by listing the latest entries directly for each column.
I would also recommend to separate the premium content from advertisement material like trailers (especially on the "latest" list), instead of throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you.

The whole site just leaves a feel of "here is some random stuff" from our archive.
Maybe it would improve to visually distinguish the different areas on each page and indicate the relation of the content to each other - i.e. adding a frame that says "latest videos", "latest features", "hot discussion topic".
Right now I'm looking at the main page and think to myself:

- the upper left section seems to be new video content, but then there is a news item there, too
- below that comes the news ticker which is ok, i guess, but that could be a shared with a latest news list in the same space as the "popular forum posts" as a switched panel
- after that comes a list of content that seems to be the editor's choice (just guessed that because of "The new Escapist" leading up and it being a bunch of new and older content
- following up comes the latest news panel, which is a bit redundant to the new ticker and oddly enough not on the right side as the other list-type panels
- and then I get really confused while seeing "Required reading", "Stories you might like" and starting to question the center part mentioned earlier that seemed to be the editor's choice.

I would assume that there are different people with different expectations coming to the site.
Some are like me and just care for the videos and/or features. Others come here for those, too, but weigh forum communication as equally important. There might even be someone who comes here to read the latest news, although I would doubt that as it seems to be the area of least focus on the Escapist (which is totally fine, but seems weird to justify a ticker and a top list panel on the same page).

Glancing over this a second time may sound horrible, but I tried to describe my impression and thought process as best as possible while looking at the new design.
Hope that it helps you guys to straighten things out.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I've actually gotten used to it pretty quickly but I will say that it does look a little bare.

Between the white background and the font at the top of the page it looks kind of cheap. As if it's not loaded properly.

Alter those two things and you'll be set. Seeing as the entire community (pretty much) is speaking out against the bareness of it, it would probably be in your best interest to change that.

Other than that, though, some good ideas.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
I'm going to try and post this without sounding at all like an ass. No, seriously, I'm going to really try this. It's going to be new and interesting!

...Okay, so I'm not a fan of the change. (I'm alone in this view, right..? :p) Like, at all.

It's blinding, even on the darkest of monitors. The layout looks like ass. Borders are barely visible. The old style actually had a thing called colour. As someone else pointed out, the Wii, DS and PC sections are eye-meltingly bad.

I'm sorry, but this is true. Hell, the video content doesn't even line up with the video description. Yes, minor nitpick among the DRASTICALLY WORSE stuff.. But it still looks irritating.
And forcing the old layout on Pub Club only? That's just insulting to your normal members (I'm IN Pub Club and I still think that's insane.)

There's no clear border between posts and such in the forum either, it's ALL white. The brightest of white. Horrendously bright white. The revolving news ticker looks out of place on the main page, the font looks... Well, terrible, aside everything else.

The "New Videos" section is pretty meh as well. It used to be "Here's the 3 latest videos, all together. The same size." Now you've got one large one and three tiny ones to the right, barely visible. Monday's line-up was difficult to find when you have LoadingReadyRun, Unskippable, Jimquisition, GINX.. And something else, all on the same day! Unskippable and LRR are big things on The Escapist, one of your most loyal partners.. Yet both instances of their content were barely visible, with Jim Sterling's egotistical mugshot front and centre. Yep, totally gaming as a lifestyle right there. If THAT is what gaming as a lifestyle is, I want no part in it.

I mean.. IGN looks better than this. IGN. This doesn't look professional AT ALL. It looks like an intern designed it. Apologies to the web designer/s who worked on this "on their weekends, etc", but WOW. Someone needs to look at Penny Arcade's layout to learn how to make a well-designed website. Better yet, HIRE PAUL SAUNDERS FROM LOADINGREADYRUN. He knows how to make a site look pleasing to the eye and functional!

...Right, so I turned into an ass. But eh, a lot of the feedback has been mind-numbingly critical, and rightly so.. :/

The Escapist Magazine
2005-2011

God.. Even going to the About Us page.. Those are not classy or professional fonts at all. Did you guys use Microsoft FrontPage for this? o_O

EDIT: Okay, I got my lulz for this evening...
"the internet's home for high-quality journalism and insightful commentary on the wide and wonderful world of videogames and gamer culture."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114782-Heres-a-Picture-of-Catwoman-Fondling-Her-Own-Boobs-For-a-Good-Cause
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114781-The-Vita-Will-Die-A-Horrible-Premature-Death

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Aaaaaaahahahaha... Oh, you guys are adorable. High-quality journalism? Most of it is sensationalist/misleading headlines with somewhat biased articles taken from other websites. Don't go saying "the internet's home for..", that's just not true. Plenty of other places out there, not just you guys. Yes, SOME of your content is top-notch, but there's been many more mistakes made.. :/

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I wish it was possible to turn off the "random junk" section - it is utterly useless. I can image how the Escapist feels it cannot simply sit on this wealth of rarely accessed material, but it is not being used for good here.
MattAn24 said:
Please, listen to this man.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
So I just got a 404 error when I edited my post.. A My Little Pony version of the "Twitter fail whale" with a "Well, we sure fucked that up, hey!" note? REALLY? I hope those royalties are being sent to the artist who made the fail whale.. Oh, I'm SO glad I came across that page!

EDIT: I should also note something.. I study Semiotics (a scientific of the signs and symbols in everything) at a college in Australia. My knowledge of Semiotics tells me this; Old layout > A can of tuna > Desert Bus > New layout

The signs I see from this layout, other than blue meaning professional, is unfinished and empty.. Just from that.

Don Reba said:
I wish it was possible to turn off the "random junk" section - it is utterly useless. I can image how the Escapist feels it cannot simply sit on this wealth of rarely accessed material, but it is not being used for good here.
MattAn24 said:
Please, listen to this man.
They won't. But thanks! :D I definitely came off sounding like a rude asshole, but these things really need to be said. It makes The Escapist's design look terribad and "gaming as a lifestyle" even worse.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Oh hey! I got the 404 again! Here it is for those of you playing at home.. Bask in its many lulz!

There's a Google Search there.. Where you can search for another gaming news website. Neat!

Additionally, I drew Graham a new beard. With a monocle. IN ENGLAND~! :D

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Don Reba said:
RGman said:
So people of the PubClub have access to a magical button that restores the Escapist to the... you know, BETTER VESRION? DO want. (not enough to subscribe though).
We do have the button. The downside is that it doesn't work.
I just tried using that link. It literally did.. Nothing. Absolutely nothing changed. This is apparently the old site design now too. Maybe the real old one was put in the recycle bin, and someone accidentally emptied it. :p

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
My personal opinion? Yuck in both form and function. The biggest negative is that the former site design had most of the good stuff on a sidebar so you didn't have to play the Habitrail navigation game to see what was new. I was hoping they'd expand it to a "favorites" bar so I could have all my regular shows and features right there.

So I guess I need to bookmark all my favorites now, because that's easier for me than clicking through the menus to find them each time. But I still lose out on being able to see what's new and updated, unless I just check them all every day? ..... I'm a premium member so that doesn't benefit them for advertising revenue, so I guess it's a loss all around.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009

The Daily Drop logo and Shamus Young look awfully stretched. As far as I'm aware, Shamus is awesome. Stretching that logo like that? Not as awesome. The Shamus must be obeyed!

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

I question the choice for your new avatar -.-
I got Bieber'd by [user]Thynameismud[/user]. It will return to the usual classy bebop mumbo jumbo post Christmas :)

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
First impressions: I hate it. But, as with every other website who changes their layout, I guess I'll grow more accustomed to it.

Also, and I'll attribute this to the site changing and whatnot, everything is loading super slowly.
Except for YouTube. Even after a year or two, I still hate the new layout. :p

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Sud0_x said:
Nasrin said:
Advocating ad block has always been against our Code of Conduct.

False.

Advocating the use of ad block has been against the rules since December 2010. Before then people were just mass banned for talking about it despite not being against any rules at the time.

Edit: I'm certainly not disputing the warning.

It's nice to see the way The Escapist is handling criticism at the moment. It's also nice to see users, for the most part, keeping it civil.
I'm not sure if you realize how many complaints I've had to respond to in the past few days. I'm very tired.

Advocating adblock is against the Code of Conduct and has been for some time. Thank you for pointing out my completely inconsequential mistake.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Nasrin said:
Sud0_x said:
Nasrin said:
Advocating ad block has always been against our Code of Conduct.

False.

Advocating the use of ad block has been against the rules since December 2010. Before then people were just mass banned for talking about it despite not being against any rules at the time.

Edit: I'm certainly not disputing the warning.

It's nice to see the way The Escapist is handling criticism at the moment. It's also nice to see users, for the most part, keeping it civil.
I'm not sure if you realize how many complaints I've had to respond to in the past few days. I'm very tired.

Advocating adblock is against the Code of Conduct and has been for some time. Thank you for pointing out my completely inconsequential mistake.
I made that statement simply because your information was false and, believe it or not, that ugly situation still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Now, I actually commended you guys on the way you are currently handling situations like this and the very visible effort of great folks like yourself.

I understand that you're tired.

spaceman_jan

Adventurer by profession
Mar 1, 2011
keiskay said:
Miner said:
Robbo_89 said:
So I'll check back every known and again for improvement otherwise use my own time to make the browser render this pos well enough to not get a headache. I used to be a fan of this site however I see this as the start of the end for the escapist. Hope to see Yahtzee joining Extra Credits on a site that I can easily use.

R.I.P Escapist.
On the contrary i feel that the penny arcade website isn't very friendly at all. The escapist has some of the freindlyist staff running the website and i am positive that they are working on making the site better for all of us. also i would love to see another website that contains such a fantastic and intelligent communtiny.

In short i dont think that this is the end of the escapist that is a little dramatic. I believe that websites change whether we like it or not but the content of the website is still the same and i think that we just have to hope that they smooth the website over.

My freind this is not the end of the escapist it is only a new form that we must accomadate to (like youtube).

I understand that but i don't find penny arcade that friendly and also i don't find this way un-freindly.
My only suggestion would be that the escapist offer a option (like a button) to switch back to the old formate! (again like youtube)

This is all i have to say.
he wasnt talking about friendly as in staff he meant user friendly.