The New Shiny Escapist

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Just checking back in to this thread to say it's still awful, and I am not "getting used to it."

Seriously, don't take time and tinker with it, just give us back the old layout. It was better, it was easier to use, and it was more aesthetically pleasing. Of course you aren't TRYING to piss off your readers...

but, that raises the disturbing question of: how you could have possibly thought this was a good thing.

Even Activision and Blizzard backed off with their mandatory Real ID feature when enough people voiced displeasure. If those guys can admit they were wrong, then surely you can?

I see a lot of people here asking for feedback, what I would like is for you to simply own up to having made a mistake. How hard is it to apologize when you're in the wrong? (and not a passive aggressive apology that says "I am sorry you don't like it," as if it was actually our fault).

adalekplunger

Dec 14, 2011
Dimitriov said:
Just checking back in to this thread to say it's still awful, and I am not "getting used to it."

Seriously, don't take time and tinker with it, just give us back the old layout. It was better, it was easier to use, and it was more aesthetically pleasing. Of course you aren't TRYING to piss off your readers...

but, that raises the disturbing question of: how you could have possibly thought this was a good thing.

Even Activision and Blizzard backed off with their mandatory Real ID feature when enough people voiced displeasure. If those guys can admit they were wrong, then surely you can?

I see a lot of people here asking for feedback, what I would like is for you to simply own up to having made a mistake. How hard is it to apologize when you're in the wrong? (and not a passive aggressive apology that says "I am sorry you don't like it," as if it was actually our fault).
Bad example. They only backed off when somebody actually showed them what was wrong with it by posting an employees information. I'm thinking that this is more along the lines of a silicon knights thing, where they're too invested in the new site to listen to anyone saying anything negative about it. My guess is that they'll keep waving people off, unless they see a significant drop in users. Going from past experience, I doubt that enough people will actually stop coming here altogether to affect them in any way, they'll take it as confirmation that their way was right, and the new site stays the same, warts and all. It's sad really, when the only feedback companies really care about are only represented in numbers, and I actually thought The Escapist was different.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
adalekplunger said:
Dimitriov said:

Bad example. They only backed off when somebody actually showed them what was wrong with it by posting an employees information. I'm thinking that this is more along the lines of a silicon knights thing, where they're too invested in the new site to listen to anyone saying anything negative about it. My guess is that they'll keep waving people off, unless they see a significant drop in users. Going from past experience, I doubt that enough people will actually stop coming here altogether to affect them in any way, they'll take it as confirmation that their way was right, and the new site stays the same, warts and all. It's sad really, when the only feedback companies really care about are only represented in numbers, and I actually thought The Escapist was different.
So then I hate to ask this, but do we need to start getting a group together then or something? Because if it takes such a thing to make it clear that there are those of us who want the site to go back to the way it was, then maybe we need to put it together.

I'm seriously willing to stick with this. I genuinely haven't watched a 'single' video on here since this layout change and I get that I'm only one person, but maybe if we just make ourselves more... obvious they won't be able to ignore us. =/

So, on a serious level, if people were up for it, would you guys be willing to join up some semblance of a 'protest' group? I'm not looking to make a big case out of this by calling it a protest/boycott, just can't think of another word to describe the group.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Stumbling over the Escapist new design was kinda like coming home and suddenly realising burglars has stripped your home of everything you like.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
My issue is that now the forums work on US time rather than converting to your local time for post time stamps. Now it is really easy to see when people have posted something, not. So the redesign is a step backwards to me. With the site showing it is more US that international...

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
This has thus far been much harder to navigate. It may be just because its new, but the sidebar with all the shows seemed much more efficient. Just my two cents there (though it didn't really contribute anything since everyone has already raged this out.)

adalekplunger

Dec 14, 2011
Kyogissun said:
So then I hate to ask this, but do we need to start getting a group together then or something? Because if it takes such a thing to make it clear that there are those of us who want the site to go back to the way it was, then maybe we need to put it together.

I'm seriously willing to stick with this. I genuinely haven't watched a 'single' video on here since this layout change and I get that I'm only one person, but maybe if we just make ourselves more... obvious they won't be able to ignore us. =/

So, on a serious level, if people were up for it, would you guys be willing to join up some semblance of a 'protest' group? I'm not looking to make a big case out of this by calling it a protest/boycott, just can't think of another word to describe the group.
If you could get enough people involved, it could turn heads. Unfortunately, I can't think of a case where this has really worked. Either they don't have enough people, or the company just doesn't concern themselves with that user base anymore. I don't think a protest is a feasible solution, just because there wouldn't be an effective way to gather support for it. Some people on this forum might join, but even then, that's not a significant enough number of people to make a difference to them. If they continue to ignore or otherwise refuse to address people's complaints, then I just won't come to this site anymore, because i'm obviously no longer their target audience, even if they do change back to the old format. Any company that would stonewall their users like this isn't a company I want to get behind.

EDIT: Reading it again, that last bit sounds like a threat. It's not a "If you don't do [x], then i'll [y].", it's an "I thought this site was different, but I was wrong." line of thinking.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
I am checking in here to report that I visit The Escapist about 50% less since the format change, and this is ENTIRELY because of the format change.

Just thought you'd like to know, overlords.

cyxceven

Apr 8, 2009
I'm sure this has been said before, but what happened to the font rendering on the site?
It looks terrible in Firefox.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
ph0b0s123 said:
My issue is that now the forums work on US time rather than converting to your local time for post time stamps. Now it is really easy to see when people have posted something, not. So the redesign is a step backwards to me. With the site showing it is more US that international...
That's a bug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech]. I'll fix it tomorrow. ;)

adalekplunger

Dec 14, 2011
Kross said:
ph0b0s123 said:
That's a bug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/tech]. I'll fix it tomorrow. ;)
Ok, NOW I'm convinced that you're fucking with us. Any word on any other changes, or comments about the requested changes? Literally anything besides the post time bug?

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
ok, came back to have a look, of course nothing has changed.

You know, when Susan Arent came out and said "boohoo, your all mean, we´re just people, give us a chance" and so on, I actually felt a little bit bad about ranting so much.
I really thought that maybe they meant to listen.

I have seen this kind of maneuver on many other sites. They just change everything for the worse and then just ignore any complaints, until people get bored, or used to it, or just to frustrated, to care any more.
I cannot for the life of my imagine what they get out of all this.

Yes, if it was a lot of work, it sucks to see it suck.
And of course, people probably shouting profanities at you via PMs (I´m sure it happens) will not make you better disposed toward us. But this is the internet, and you have recieved more than thirty pages of perfectly civil criticism, which you also ignore.

And then you actually have the balls to tell us we are not sheep to you.

My mind is slightly boggled, as I move out of here again.

Crazedc00k

Mar 29, 2011
Oh, wow. Just read up the thread here. Couple people who really don't like it and are taking personal offense. Guys, it's just a website, and you're a tiny sliver of the user base. Escapist not expensively wasting development time to return to the way YOU like it isn't them shafting you. Have a complaint? Voice it. All I hear are mods and authors trying to clear up confusion and help the users out. If that still isn't good enough, leave. Oh, and the captcha thing is really annoying, Management People.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
I'd like to start off with thanking you guys for a great site, I joined long ago and will continue to visit your site long into the future, really thanks.
As for the new look, I would like to request certain icons such as "video", "features", and "news" be in different colors, nothing too extreme but they are a bit hard to pick out. I believe the color scheme is a little bright, its more to aesthetics but since the old site was a darker blue color the older icons and pictures tend to create too much commotion on the screen. The post number is a nice touch, and I'm getting used to the new "popular" selection area which is proving to be more useful then I anticipated. Also, and again this is aesthetics, but certain selections have borders while others do not, this looks a bit weird especially with certain icons with white and the new background.
These are just my two bits, I'm going to go back and watch some more unskippable, and thanks again.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
seriously guys, can we please at least switch to a color scheme that isn't eye-rending?

electric blue on a white background

the current site is literally PAINFUL TO LOOK AT

you have a 30-page thread filled with this complaint, can you please do SOMETHING?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
adalekplunger said:
Ok, NOW I'm convinced that you're fucking with us. Any word on any other changes, or comments about the requested changes? Literally anything besides the post time bug?
Oh yeah, we're ignoring all of them. And deleting the accounts of everyone who dared dislike anything new.

Ahahaha, suckers!