The Nothingness

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It's OK if you can't tell the difference or you don't care about the difference. Just don't insist that there is no difference, no one can tell the difference or no one should care. That's like saying there is no difference (or no one should care) between playing in surround audio and monaural.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
lacktheknack said:
2cool4u said:
I still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Am I Hitler but for videogames? Am I destroing this industry by putting innocent games in the gas chamber?
Absofreakinglutely. :mad:

OT: I'm still completely and utterly baffled that people can't tell, but seeing how I can tell the difference between 80 and 90 FPS, I may just have overly sensitive eyes.

It just seems like being unable to tell red from orange... but then I remember that color-blind people exist.
Yeah, I also can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but I'm also willing to accept that my eyes are just below spec.

I mean, I can tell the difference when I'm just looking at a single-pixel-width white line moving across a black background or under similarly artificial conditions, but when I'm looking at a fully-populated screen, with environments and backgrounds and multiple moving objects, I just can't tell. I've actually tested this semi-rigorously with a friend - watching gameplay footage samples at 60 vs 30 fps, I was incapable of correctly identifying the frame rate at a rate significantly higher than random chance.

Note that this isn't me excusing companies for wimping out and not hitting 60 fps, or pulling some "30 is more cinematic" bullshit. I may not be able to tell the difference, but apparently some people can, and they should be able to have their 60 fps if they want it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Don't ever expose a human mind to the gaping maw of infinity. It can either inspire a great mind or drive insane a lesser mind. If Tim starts complaining about hearing four knocks, you know who to call.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
I play CS:GO at 120 FPS. 60 FPS is acceptable but any lower than that and the game is pretty much unplayable. CS:GO however is a competetive tactical shooter where every frame counts. When it comes to most other games, I am fine with 30. I can definately tell the difference between 30 and 60 though and in certain games I can't stand 30 FPS as it honestly makes it hard for me to sort of, "hang on" to what is happening. As in I have a hard time understanding what is happening and focusing on things. But that only happens in very few games (skyrim was one) and I can often get used to it. I believe it depends on the graphical style and pacing of the game, wether the FPS count is important or not.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
dangoball said:
Is this saying GTAV is utter shit? 'Cause to me it looks like you just called GTAV utter shit.
Not like I care, never played it and never will, so good on you.
Uh, no. If anything it's indirectly ragging on Ubisoft and directly ragging on the game industry.

To set the way back machine (Come on Sherman) Ubisoft claimed that they released their latest "Assassin's Creed" in 30FPS because it was "more cinematic" than 60FPS. This lead to a lot of people, especially from the gaming industry it seems, claiming that most people can't tell the difference anyway.

"Tim" is some hypothetical person that can't tell what is a very obvious difference, and the point is that someone who couldn't is going to be some kind of idiotic mutant who likely couldn't tell the difference between their video game and a Lovecraftian portal of insanity, the punchline is that even as he's been sucked into it he still believes it's GTA V that he's playing since it's "no different than the 360 version"... or at least like a corporate pitch man he's sticking to that story as he's sucked into a terrifying oblivion. :)

-

To be honest with you being able to tell the difference in resolutions, FPS, etc... tends to mostly happen when you watch them side by side. If you say have a computer playing a game at 60fps and one playing it at 30fps you are going to notice quite a bit. The same is true if say you have a very high resolution and then say drop it a few levels. In the past we've seen this demonstrated with anti-corporate crusades where say a shot of a video game is shown to be in much higher resolution than the game itself due to them using a tech demo as an example of the game itself. One classic example was how they pimped "Final Fantasy" for the X-box using much-higher resolution screen shots from the PlayStation making it look like the X-box could perform as well as the PlayStation, and so on.

That said while 60FPS is an obvious upgrade, I do not think 30FPS makes a game "unplayable" especially if it was designed that way. Something being "better" does not mean everything that doesn't meet those standards becomes absolute garbage in comparison.

To put it into comparison it's sort of like comparing a current "Pixar" movie to the old "Super Friends" cartoon and saying there isn't any improvement in quality. This doesn't mean "Super Friends" is bad exactly when you account for the intended age group and of course nostalgia, but it's a far inferior work of animation compared to the state of the art.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I'm at a really odd place where I can only see the difference between 30 and 60 when I watch someone else play.

When I play, 30 and 60 is a miniscule difference to me... but going from 30 to ~45 is like jumping into hyperspace at the speed of light.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Heh. If people don't care about the difference between 30fps and 60fps that's fine. But the ones that insist there is no difference or that the difference doesn't make a difference are either trolls or willfully ignorant.

Remus said:
Don't ever expose a human mind to the gaping maw of infinity. It can either inspire a great mind or drive insane a lesser mind. If Tim starts complaining about hearing four knocks, you know who to call.
Ghostbusters?

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Is there ever going to be a non-Master-Race-related Critical Miss ever again?
I miss when they were poking fun at individual games every week. Now it's once every two weeks or so.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Heheh, as subtle as a brick.

Honestly though, I do tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but honestly I don't care that much if the game plays buttery smooth at 30 fps.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Honestly, I can kinda tell the difference, like I've watched comparison videos where it is incredibly obvious and sometimes I can't tell at all. I would prefer my games to run smoother but I really don't understand why people get so obsessed and so elitist about this, like why do you care so much if some people can't tell the difference?

I thought the comic was funny, cuz there are some times when the difference is so obvious its kinda stupid that people can't see the difference but I really don't see why it matters so much. Why would you refuse to buy a game solely because it only runs at 30fps?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
PROFILE PICTURES, GET YOUR PROFILE PICTURES, HERE!

I swear these frames were drawn so Erin looked as close to a generic forum avatar as possible.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Well, I mean... yeah, the gaping jaws of infinity seem pretty nice or whatever if you're into that sorta thing... but personally, I think it moves too "fast"... like it's moving in fast-forward motion, y'know? Makes me dizzy. The 360 version of GTAV always struck me as more cinematic and complete.

Teoes said:
Holy shit can our eyes really only perceive three colours at once?

Well tickle my taint and call me Susan.
That's okay.

2cool4u said:
I still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Am I Hitler but for videogames? Am I destroing this industry by putting innocent games in the gas chamber?
Hitler? Nah, nothing so exaggerated.

...Like, Bin Laden at the very most, probably.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Wait, you mean to tell me that it's not normal for the time-space continuum to tear at the seams and shred the cosmos every time I turn my Xbox 360 on?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
People seem confused. What makes 60 FPS better is that it looks less jerky in motion and flows better, making reaction times more precise and effective. The game just feels and looks a bit more polished. In action and fighting games this can make the experience more enjoyable.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Therumancer said:
Holly molly, that's way more complex response than I ever deserved.
I got the 30/60 FPS poke/joke well enough, just didn't feel like commenting on that. I'm actually one of those weird people able to enjoy a game with 20 FPS (might be because twitchy shooters are not really my niche) which some people have a hard time understanding.
My comment was aimed at the "this swirling vortex of horror ...", which would imply that GTAV is a swirling vortex of horror of a game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
dangoball said:
My comment was aimed at the "this swirling vortex of horror ...", which would imply that GTAV is a swirling vortex of horror of a game.
I'm pretty sure the joke was at the expense of the Xbox 360 and the version of Grand Theft Auto V on it, not Grand Theft Auto V itself.