The Old Republic Collectors' Edition Might Cost You $210

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If The Old Republic: Collector's Edition does end up being confirmed as real. I would pre-order it in an instant. I would gladly pay $210.00 for it.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
In-game vendor can work out well, so long as the sold items are purely cosmetic and not giving out mechanics advantages. The price is certainly insane, though it might be worth to wait for the official announcement first.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
With that price tag I'm surprised they don't give you their first born or a sack of gold...

If that is confirmed as for real, then they must be nuts. For me, nothing in that collectors edition was worth that price tag, not even the statue even though it does look badass.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
For some reason my first thought is "They should have a Sith or Mandalorian mask, not a Model".

Thats quite a price however.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
I'll come right out and say that I absolutely would pay $100 for that, but that's my limit. There is no way in hell I'd pay $210. Ever.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
Are we getting a Genuine Fully-Operational Light Sabre with the game, because if we are - I'd call that a deal otherwise I'd call it things from a full list of expletives you can choose from.

*Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue - meh, standard and I'm a packrat type of person, my home has no space for this
*Star Wars: The Old Republic game discs in collectible metal case - I'd be quite a bit pissed if I didn't get this, although shiny metal cases don't impress me!!
*The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan - ... uuh... ok
*Old Republic galaxy map - I liked maps in the past but only if it was based on the game, but since I started thinking games like mmos and rpgs should have detailed maps ingame anyway, I've since been losing more and more interest in them.
*Custom Security Authentication Key (a la the Battle.net Authenticator, presumably) - haven't a clue what this is worth seeing as I don't have any battle.net games.
*Exclusive Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD - ok, standard mehness, but at least I like game soundtracks
*High-Quality Collector's Edition Box - hey your cheating, wasn't this already mentioned or is this somehow something totally different?

*Flare Gun: Fire flares into the air - yawn
*Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance - ooh, a minipet? snore
*HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer - lol, unless the dancing animation is continuously repeated and I can customize the hologram dancer (you know, to make it "My Own") then I dont care.
*HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures - so do this mean ingame recording? i guess thats better than relying on some free recording software. Not sure I'd want to pay this games price tag for it though.
*STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle - and I get the feeling it wouldn't even be among the best.
*Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spun-ky droid to join your adventures - no comment, could be good, could be crap
*Exclusive Collector's Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items - could be useful but I doubt you'll get any good rare weps and the likes from here.

Overall, I wouldn't pay $210 for this... unless it came with the mentioned Light Sabre :)

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
And yet, Star Trek Online's lifetime subscription costs somewhere about $300, $240 when it goes on sale. But you know that's the lifetime subscription, you can play forever, you get new goodies every 100 days (every subscriber gets these) and you get a whole new race unlocked for you: Liberated Borg. There's more character slots, etc, there's more well...stuff. You get actual stuff though.

Bioware: "Pay $210 for crappy items and an in-game store that will (probably) offer you the best gear in the game" Um, what? Not only does that, most likely, upset game balance, but that doesn't seem to offer anything that's really worth it to an MMO player.

Even the Digital Deluxe version of STO came with the Joined Trill for crying out loud. I don't remember what the Collectors Edition came with... I mean it's a much, much, much better game now than it was then but... give me something a little better than extra sidekicks that I can buy for a buck or two over at Champions Online.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
stormcrow5 said:
Holodancer.....I would be sold if it was full size and real
You might be able to get one if you have a spare beta code...

All-in-all, this smells very fishy, like someone is trying to get a lot more traffic into their site than they really deserve. If not, someone is going to have their name dropped from the EA retailer mailing list very soon.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
210 Bucks? For the CE? The hell?

For that Cost alone, you can buy lifetime subscription for pretty much any MMO on the market, well one of them at least. That just sounds like a massive waste of Money. I mean unless it comes with a free backrub, pudding for life and some stuff, that wouldnt be worth the price. At all.

Then again im staying away from TOR because, as much as i think that Bioware will get it right, Lucasarts has already proven that they prefer butchering their own Franchise and as such, im not going to go for that bollocks.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
If they can get idiots to part with their cash then fair play to them but that price tag is insanely overpriced.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Not a real fan of collectors editions and not a real fan of MMOs, so i doubt I'll get it.
And really, that price seems really damn high.

Jarskaaja

Apr 3, 2010
Don't forget that this is a European price. Americans always get their "USA Discount" for games. I mean, normal PC games cost us 50? ($70).

This will most likely by $150 for you.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
...Despite every fiber of my being say what a waste of money that would be, after watching my friend play the beta and getting to take it for a spin myself, I would shell out that cash in an instant.
or you could just buy the standard edition, and still play the game without this useless crap?

seriously, i got more in my special edition of fallout:new vegas. the statue is pretty nice, but $210 nice? perhaps not. bear in mind this game is also charging you per month to keep playing. mediocre special edition, i would have considered it at around £80, but thats pushing it.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
Xzi said:
Wow, there is absolutely nothing in that collector's edition to make it worth $210. Or even $100. I can't imagine more than a very small handful of die-hard Star Wars fans buying that.
I think in a way thats a good thing, Collectors Editions shouldnt be something that the majority of players get they should be rarely seen and actually special.

lesserdemon

Jun 23, 2008
Everyone who keeps claiming that the statue is a standard is nuts.

I WISH that Gentle Giant statues were the "standard" for CE's.
They are made of Polystone ( resin stone mix). These are the types of statues that you see listed for anywhere from $40 to in the hundreds of dollars.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_polystone

Lady explains Polystone rather well in that link.

Far from your standard cheaply made CE statue.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
They are on crack. There is no way that crap is worth that much money. Even charging for a box with a subscription based MMO is dangerous nowadays.

I reiterate my prediction of major failure, quickly going f2p, and passing off to some mmo maintenance house.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Xzi said:
Wow, there is absolutely nothing in that collector's edition to make it worth $210. Or even $100. I can't imagine more than a very small handful of die-hard Star Wars fans buying that.
Exactly i was thinking at first but then when i saw the contents i say it's not even worth the $210 it's more like $30 maybe 50 if your lucky.

The whole high pricing of collectors edition seems quite retarded since it's just like me saying" i'm a big sucker for paying more just for a tiny bit extra".

I don't even see the worth of paying extra for collectors additions when not everyone can obtain them.

Captcha: Look before crossing.