The olympics. Yay.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I don't watch them too much but I still cheer my country on every time I can. Can't wait to see what we win this year, USA USA USA!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
The Olympics already started. The football tournaments began yesterday and today. I love any excuse to see football on TV, so I'll take it. Was sad to see UAE lose to Uruguay after their wonderful first half.

I honestly couldn't care less about swimming, so I've got to get the enjoyment I can out of the games before the US coverage turns into Michael Phelps-o-vision.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
All I have to say is this is a total waste of the money I (and everyone else) pay in tax, they've spent my money on something we didn't need (as usual) there plenty of things that money could have gone, for example jobs? resurfacing roads which need it (not just an f'in patch!), I could go on.

Oct 30, 2010
Mixed. I'll watch some events, a few short track finals, a few short swimming finals. Maybe a bit of diving, gymnastics if some "story" is interesting (a la whats her name in...'96 I think). I'll watch volleyball if I see it, random finals with Canadians in it. There aren't any sports I'll actually be following however.

As to the other end, too much public money is spent on it, but I don't mind some being spent and I don't think the Olympics should be cancelled because London isn't Utopia or w/e.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Man, I can almost hear the eye rolling from here. It's like a contest to see who can be the most aloof and cynical. Don't ever change, guys.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I only care about the winter olympics, because the winter olympics has curling.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
4173 said:
Maybe a bit of diving, gymnastics if some "story" is interesting (a la whats her name in...'96 I think).
Kerri Strug. And if you're waiting for a story like that, you'll miss it. She only injured her ankle a few moments before the gold winning vault.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
It's predominantly meh.

I might watch some of the judo, basketball, sabre fencing and ... something else, but I'm not one for watching sport, usually. Unless I want to pick up techniques and strategies, either for pure curiosity or my own future use.

What I already hate is the number of boring arse celebrity-esque pseudo documentaries they're putting on about various athletes. One was predominantly about some power lifters complaining about having to diet... Oh and Jennifer Ennis (or Ellis?). I still don't know what she actually competes in; or whether she's likely to win at it, but I sure as hell know a lot about her hair and skin care routines! The Ussain Bolt documentary was the only one so far that seemed passable. Guess it beats reality TV.

Also hoping that the money spent to put it on pays off in the long term.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
BiscuitWheels said:
Man, I can almost hear the eye rolling from here. It's like a contest to see who can be the most aloof and cynical. Don't ever change, guys.
If we win, what do we win? *strains eye muscles really hard*

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I like them. Its something to watch and something to follow. Plus it means I have something to talk to people I don't really know or care to know about.

Daystar Clarion said:
I couldn't give the tossiest toss about the Olympics.

Never been into sports and I'm not gonna start now.
Really? That's weird. Its seems like all your avatar does is running and jumping :)

Feb 22, 2009
I hate professional sports in general. Never understood the appeal in the slightest. And all the big patriotic events this summer? It's ALMOST like the government is trying to distract people from their woeful incompetence, isn't it? No, don't look at the riots going on over there, look at the pretty torch!

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Personally, I don't give a fuck about the Olympics. I'm generally not fond of something that costs millions, brings the attention of the world upon us and we didn't actually ask for.

The 24/7 media coverage doesn't exactly help, either.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm indifferent. There's a subconscious push at me to 'get excited about them', but it's mostly from Media based in England. I live in Wales, next door to the Olympics. I feel like as if they were being held in Australia. Just I get told about it more on media.

If they were held in Wales I'd care. Or if a few events were held on Welsh soil I'll get riled about the Britain = England misconception. Since neither is happening, I'm neutral. I won't piss on someone else's parade.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
It's one of the few things in existence where nearly the entire world puts aside their beliefs and differences to get together. Something almost unheard of in this heartless world. That right there, is something beautiful. Doesn't matter who you are, that is something to be respected.

I get the whole cynical thing. It's a fun thing to have in place of a personality. Doesn't really bug me when people aren't vocal about how much they don't care about something. But this is really pushing it.
But...but... we're British, being cynical is our thing! It's like the only thing we do better than anyone else!

Nice avatar BTW, all hail to the Pizza Lord Harry Dresden :)