The Paperphone Shows Off Smartphones' (Literal) Flexibility

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
klasbo said:

Bluetooth virtual laser keyboard.
I've seen that before, quite a while ago. Really cool piece of tech.

But more on topic, I don't see the point in it. The controls look really limited an un-intuitive. I can't think of any kind of function any computer could do that would be improved by the use of a bending gesture. Sounds pretty silly to me.

Although paper-thin gadgets are interesting. I remember they used to keep going on about a mobile phone made of stuff like this, that was little more than a strip than curled up around your wrist. Also just generally the thinness of the circuitry would work well for our seemingly never-ending quest to make gadgets smaller and thinner. I guess one day we will have something as powerful as current high-end PCs that are small enough to fit in our pockets with ease. Come to think of it, we have probably done that several times over already. Take a look at how impressive smartphones are now compared to computers from just 10 years ago.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I can certainly see the practicality of of a flexible computer/phone, but I cannot see the practicality whatsoever of those stupid "bend gestures." Another example of: just because it can be done does not make it a good idea.

Also, has anyone else pointed out that this thing is huge, and appears to be attached to a solid, bulky "bookend" thingy?
I'm guessing we haven't developed bendable memory or processors yet, so, until that happens, there are still going to be solid, un-bendable pieces connected to the display, which doesn't make it meaningfully paper-like.

RobCoxxy said:
Heard about this from the BBC last week. I can see it ending up in your trouser pocket, ruined in a Washing Machine within a week of purchase.
LOL
I didn't even think of that, good point

Generic Gamer said:
Roll-up computers for the army anyone?
Actually, the Military has had this tech for a while now. So yes. They do have some applications of it like that already.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I seem to be in the majority with this. Bending seems unintuitive compared to touch screens, and these seem way too delicate for mobile use, but I'm sure there are many innovative uses for it.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I don't want to use an (expensive) electronic device that someone could come up to me with a pair of scissors and ruin.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Definitely has potential, just I don't think for Smartphones. The bending is very counter-intuitive and looks like it would get annoying really fast.

Probably won't catch on until Apple releases a version of it.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
So instead of touching a screen, I can bend a screen.

A far better use, make it a card of some sort. Then, when you bend a particular edge, the display turns into a particular kind of card.

So it's like... "Yeah, I saw your deck, your only remaining card is a WEEDLE. You are so goosed!"
and then you bend a corner and BAM, it's a mothatruckin Charizard.

Actually now I kind of want a very refined one to cheat at every card game ever.

sumanai

Jan 17, 2008
I see they have yet to fix the pixel-death problem flexible displays have. By which I mean that some pixels seem to die out when the screen is bend a certain way. I don't know if it's permanent, but if it is I doubt we'll be seeing flexible displays in stores anytime soon.

Or we'll be seeing them along with unhappy clients.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Smartphones. Never. Needed. To. Be. Even. Thinner. Than. They. Already. Are.
They never did.

Still, from a technology point of view: Nicely done.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
Phones laminated to the inside of a helmet?
Hmmm... they already do have a Helmet Mounted Display System for the F-35...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/F-35_Helmet_Mounted_Display_System.jpg

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
looks promising... for thinner phones. NOT for the whole bending mechanic thing, that looks like a gimmick as far as I can tell.

So long as they don't use that awful, awful e-ink horridity (seriously I despise the stuff) in future developments, then maybe it can be used for making the 'future' uber high-tech newspapers or something?

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
I can bet that everyone here is chiming the bell of 'I don't want', will be the first ones to buy this item once it goes gold and if they have the cash.

Just saying...

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
TimeLord said:
klasbo said:

That's been around for aaaages
And strain gauges haven't...
I see what you're trying to say though. But a laser keyboard wins hands down compared to a plasticy bendy thing.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
klasbo said:

I always wondered why they don't just stick one of those on the side of Tablet PCs like the iPad. Then you set it on a desk in landscape mode, and presto instant Laptop!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Remember how phones kept getting smaller and smaller until iphones and droids came out, then they've maintained the same sort of size for the past several years?
Why go flimsy when you can have something more powerful, easier to handle and suprisingly durable? I mean, I could be proven wrong through an ingenius flexiphone design, but...

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
klasbo said:

I always wondered why they don't just stick one of those on the side of Tablet PCs like the iPad. Then you set it on a desk in landscape mode, and presto instant Laptop!
You could always just buy one. Super expensive though.
Too much of a niche market for it to be economically viable to include this as a default feature on a laptop.