The Paperphone Shows Off Smartphones' (Literal) Flexibility

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
vansau said:
Last time I checked, flinging paper airplanes at coworkers was too much fun to stop doing.
On the other hand: Flinging a phone airplane at coworkers might be even more fun.

That said, the actual uses of this thing seem limited. Pads and tablet PCs seem more of a way forward than this, to be quite honest, even if the technology is very impressive. Maybe if/when we can have pad/tablet PCs that also use this kind of technology.

...Then we can start flinging entire computers at co-workers, and that's just going to be fucking awesome.

SweEscaspist

Oct 13, 2010
What if you are just a tad to strong in your hands?

"Okay let me see a movie." *bend bend crackle*
"Nooooooooooooo.... I did it again..."

But hey, thats just me thinking. But i gotta feeling this one will end up on an Tech Fail list.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
bahumat42 said:
klasbo said:

Bluetooth virtual laser keyboard.
have you tried using one of those, its horrible, no force feedback meant i didn't inherently just know what i was typing or if i had Typo'd , wherein i can type without seeing what im saying on a real keyboard quite easily.
Another issue is that your fingers cover up the lower keys, so you need to move your entire hand to use the zxcv.. keys.

What's wrong with a normal keyboard anyway? :p

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
vansau said:
Last time I checked, flinging paper airplanes at coworkers was too much fun to stop doing.
But eventually, you're gonna be able to make paper airplanes out of your PaperPhone.

Feb 13, 2008
vansau said:
"the paperless office is here. everything can be stored digitally and you can place these computers on top of each other just like a stack of paper, or throw them around the desk."
And this week's Nobel Prize for Hyperbole goes to...

I think this is going to go the way of the C5, Segway and other inventions. Laughed at, bought by geeks, ignored for a bit, then, when it's awesomeness is finally discovered, bought like hot cakes for a specific purpose.

Feb 13, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
vansau said:
Dude, imagine making paper planes out of this. You could fling at co-workers and have it play ride of the Valkyries as it soars across the office.
Actually that would be truly awesome.

TitenSxull

Feb 17, 2009
Isn't this a step backward technology wise? I mean we already have the touch screen and touching is ALREADY a gesture, a very simple one. Having to bend something in just the right way to get it to do what you want seems completely stupid compared to the simplicity of being able to directly poke your finger directly on an icon. I mean I could see paper thin displays being useful in the durability of technology or even to replace paper one day with hi-tech super-thin display - but the bend gestures, not so much.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
zehydra said:
Definitely has potential, just I don't think for Smartphones. The bending is very counter-intuitive and looks like it would get annoying really fast.
Agreed there. The potential is obvious, but the "bend gestures" seem like a recipe for frustration.

P.S. It's been days since I've seen a CAPTCHA with a character that isn't on my keyboard. I call that a change for the better

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Why on EARTH would a bending-display be more efficient than just pressing the damn buttons like on a touch-screen?
Okey, I can see it becoming handy to resist damage from having it in a pocket or such, but really, a "bending-function"?

Omega Deuse

Sep 4, 2009
While this is very cool, I can't imagine it's fun to dial a number through bending.
Scrolling looked difficult enough, and I have no desire to use a rotary phone.