maxben

Jun 9, 2010
gardian06 said:
maxben said:
gardian06 said:
Mattlore said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.
I had no idea there was such a thing as the "cam girls trade". I wonder how criminals are operating that one.
I guess it's like how internet trolls blackmail women into exposing themselves on camera here. It wouldn't take a whole lot. Just some coercion, threats of information (Be it personal or professional) to be leaked to unauthorized sources, or even tracking someone via IP address and threatening physical harm to them.
Slow down Holmes you skipped one of the steps of deduction. the part where these women are doing it for the money. these sites featuring "cam girls" will generally charge either a subscription fee, or a pay-per-view model, and even if these girls get as little as say 10% of that its still some decent money. I remember one site that I clicked on for research a few weeks ago wanted like $20 a month, and still had "premium" cams for like $30-100 for one 20 minute "session" (granted this was like a Slovak type site, but you get the picture) so if these girls get even a small cut of that money they still make more then most American minimum wage jobs.
They do not. Most cam girls have no idea the money coming in and get a pittance from the, usually, foreign businessmen.
owner, worker, or direct contact? realistically these are the only ways anyone can say with any absolute certainty what these people get for their trade. government officials concerned with inability to regulate will through around things of how deplorable it is to have X job, but the thing is unless they actually talk to one of the aforementioned people its just a political message. they try to say the same thing about legal brothels, but when they actually show the numbers they actually make not that bad of money.
You have a very low view of governments dont you? From what I understood, this industry is particularly exploitative in the Philippines

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Anyone feel like pointing to just where in the act refers to trolling? I can see hacking, datamining, fraud, harmful impersonation (close, but trolls don't need to impersonate) and even piracy with the intent of doing any of the other offences. But I just can't see where trolling fits in.

Good job of them to define it so widely, though. They should have defined a clear line between sexual activity that's purely virtual (what most people would define as actual cybersex) and active transmission of physical, non-virtual sexual activity and sexual exhibition.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:
Unfortunately for the nation's cam whores
That's disgusting and shameful. The kind of language I'd expect to see from someone not representing a company.

It's not acceptable. Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it. Don't spit out that kind of bile.

Nerd, geek, loser -- words you may be called for playing video games. Used by bullies and assholes to make themselves feel better.
Whore, slut, skank -- words you may be called for enjoying sex or being flirtatious. Used by morally condescending people and the occasional sexually frustrated loner.

If your personal issues give you the urge to use any of the latter, you lose the right to dislike, complain or condemn the use of the former. Words designed to shame and hurt have zero place here. Your stories would do well to keep your chosen morality and gutter slang out of them.
I'm going to agree with that, that wording was out of line.
Thirded, bit strong for a news article don't ya think?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Im a goverment consisting of conservative old farts! I know best whats good for you you unmoralish leecherous citizens! You dont need free speech! You just need to pay your taxes... we will do the thinking for you! Yaddayaddayadda

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
The Philippines: Ladyboys are okay, but don't try and cyber with them. You gotta tap that the old-fashioned way.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:
That's disgusting and shameful. The kind of language I'd expect to see from someone not representing a company.

It's not acceptable. Don't use slurs to describe people you feel morally superior to. If you dislike how some people choose to behave while not harming anyone, or how some enjoy their sex life, go ahead and ignore it. Don't spit out that kind of bile.

Nerd, geek, loser -- words you may be called for playing video games. Used by bullies and assholes to make themselves feel better.
Whore, slut, skank -- words you may be called for enjoying sex or being flirtatious. Used by morally condescending people and the occasional sexually frustrated loner.

If your personal issues give you the urge to use any of the latter, you lose the right to dislike, complain or condemn the use of the former. Words designed to shame and hurt have zero place here. Your stories would do well to keep your chosen morality and gutter slang out of them.

OT: The Philippines has an infamously high level of sex trade slaves, including in the internet cam show industry. While some people (and I use the term lightly) traffic women into physical prostitution, the "cam show" industry is much less risky to get into and has seen a large influx in money coming its way lately. Since 9/11 and the terrorist attacks throughout Asia, tourism has sunk drastically and countries and businesses that relied on it, are looking for other ways to make up the gap and the sex trade is one of them. With the ever increasing availability of the internet, people seeking to get their sexual fix are meet with a larger and larger market. Cam shows are an easy way to make instant money and they sucker people into spending a lot of it. You don't require people to come to your country, anybody around the world can get to your slaves and credit cards remove the need for physical money to ever trade hands.

The government is trying to make it less easy for them to get into and less profitable. No sense coming down on one avenue if they can run into another. They're going about it crudely and, I'd wager, ineffectively, but don't dismiss the intent because you fail to understand the cause.
Agreed, completely unprofessional and undermining the fact that there's a serious issue that the Philippines government is trying to fix. Different society, culture and problems then say the US (for example) face everyday.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I hope they have a rock solid definition of what exactly constitutes libel, otherwise this law is going to waaaaaaaaay too easy to abuse.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Boudica said:
Grey Carter said:

I agree, there is no need for those kind of slurs in the article, I don't think it was meant to be offensive or insulting but try keep them out of the articles hey?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
This is likely more of a political dog & pony show than anything else. Sure, they'll use it once in a while, for big-name cases, or as an Al-Capone-style-ace-in-the-whole, but it'd be incredibly expensive & nearly impossible to enforce this
More to the point, why would the Filipino government want to? The sex trade is pretty much the only thing bringing money into the country.
Not saying it's right or even ok; just pointing out a likely set of truths

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Bernzz said:
gardian06 said:
I remember one site that I clicked on for research a few weeks ago
gardian06 said:
for research
Heh. Sure.

I do agree with you though. Cam girls trade? They make good money off of this.

Also, outlawing trolling on the Internet? I guess they'll have to restrict access to YouTube.
restrict access to YouTube? You wish, we are declaring it a quarantine zone, locking them all inside and burning it to the ground to prevent further infection.

People are upset Grey called them cam whores? They are paid, to preform sex acts, infront of a camera at the request of a customer. I suppose he could of called them camera inclined prostitutes, but that's wordy and doesn't sound right compared to cam whores. The most offensive thing about that statement to me was that it insults the sex workers by comparing them to the group of people we already call cam whores. These working women don't deserve that kind of disrespect.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I assumed the cam whore statement was referring to the usual definition of cam whore, as in someone who tries to get attention by posting videos so outrageous or so stupid that one can't help but comment. It was far enough removed from the mention of cyber-sex that it could be viewed as the usual definition. Maybe some more could be added to further separate the two, but the use of the word "cam whore" isn't entirely offensive. Unprofessional maybe, but if we're talking about professionalism (or rather articles that can be linked by other news sources with a clean conscious knowing that someone is unlikely to complain about the language) than that ship has sailed a while ago.

Anyways, as for the original topic, what constitutes as a "libelous comment" seems to broad and subjective that this could be easily abused. Whether or not this will affect things like the cam girl trade is another story, but I'm going to assume no here. People running those things aren't just going to stop because of rules like these, they either don't care and will do it anyway, or more likely they'll just come up with a new method that doesn't fall under the category set out by the bill.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Boudica said:
Got there before I did, thanks. Agreed 100% - inappropriate, unprofessional, and demeaning.

Zombie_Moogle said:
This is likely more of a political dog & pony show than anything else. Sure, they'll use it once in a while, for big-name cases, or as an Al-Capone-style-ace-in-the-whole, but it'd be incredibly expensive & nearly impossible to enforce this
Aaand someone else got there before I did again. I think that's all I would have brought to the table. Way-to-go you two.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I don't see the problem people are having with this. Yeah, it sounds bad, till you step back and analyze it. Right, no obtaining and selling passwords. Cyber fraud, malware, alright those are good.

Then we get down to the controversial stuff. Banning cybersex is stupid, from my point of view, but theirs probably a reason. Cyber Sex cartels sounds made up, but I don't live in the Philippines, so I don't know how big of an issue it is. Personally, I believe its a way of expressing sexuality in a more controlled manner than other forms, but is still very risky and damaging to a person - you're never sure who's filming and uploading those exploits. I don't partake in it, but hey - to each their own.

The second one - 'makes it illegal to troll'. This is misleading journalism. Its not making it illegal to troll - you can still ask "Why is it called Invincibles Reigns if I can see it?". You cannot, however, go onto someones facebook page and call them "a cheating catch-ya-next-tuesday", with the intent of maliciously defaming their character.

And news flash - you can't do that in America either! Libel and Slander are both not covered under Freedom of Speech, so long as you can prove the the statements have no foundation in truth and were made with the intent of harming or defaming your character.

Theres a difference between saying "Jennie is a cheating ***** who has herpies" on her Facebook wall and saying "If the Sun is a Star then why is it a circle? Christians: 1 Athiests: 0".

zombiekiller1907

May 5, 2011
Oh my, I didn't expect seeing this here...

Aylaine said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Grey Carter said:
According to comments made to The Sun (the newspaper, as opposed to the celestial body) the cybersex law is designed to protect young women from being forced into the "cam girls" trade.
I had no idea there was such a thing as the "cam girls trade". I wonder how criminals are operating that one.
Probably involves abduction, and maybe costumes. :/

Whatever it is though, its likely badddddddddddddd.
about the "cam girls" thing... If I remember it correctly, they get women, usually minors, either by giving them false promises or abducting them. Then they force them to go nude in front of a web cam, while people watch them. In a way, it's just like sex slavery.