Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I'm almost dead on the Dalai Lama. I think that's a good thing

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-3.75&soc=-3.33

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I accidentally closed the link, so I can't coppy my chart, but I was roughly centre of the green. Seems about right.

I am economically left leaning, believe in a certain amount of market control, taxation especially of the rich and big business, although right leaning on other issues, such as benefits for those who cant work but don't.

I'm also libertarian, but probably less than indicated by the chart. I do believe in gay rights, marriage, drug legalisation, etc. but I still believe in a good dose of authority.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
After reading the first page of this my fiscal conservative but socially liberal british heart feels lonley.

TheScientificIssole said:

Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69
What am I?
I think, I screwed up on the "morals without religion" question, too many negatives.
Edit:
TKretts3 said:

I actually took this exact test for a politics class a few months ago and it was somewhat different. It was still in the purple but my dot was only a tad below the X-Axis. Although I did predict that it would go down more towards Libertarian.

Also shouldn't this topic be in the Religion and Politics section?

EDIT: Am I the only one on the right...?
Right Wing, libertarians! Go team!
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!*Insert tears of joy*

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Zen Toombs said:
Also, I said "keep them in prison". I never, ever, EVER said that we should just let unrepentant, unrehabilitated mass murderers walk the streets whilly nilly. Please do not put words in my mouth. If you continue to do so then you have made it clear that you are not arguing in good faith and are unworthy of having a civilized discussion.
Step 1: Misread question as accusatory statement.
Step 2: Post "I am disappoint" jpg. Tell the other guy he's unworthy.
Step 3: Win debate!

Sorry, no.

False dichotomy? False in what way? You can either execute a murderer or not. That is an either/or choice. There is a whole spectrum of options that comes with leaving him alive but you cannot half kill him. If you have found a way to create zombie murderers, please, for the good of the world, bury the knowledge where no one will ever find it.

The policies you favor have repercussions, as do the ones I would choose. Everything has a price.

The first consequence of your chosen policy that comes to my mind is the possibility of repeat offense.

When a criminal's sentence is up, he is released. Yes, murderers often get life sentences, sometimes multiple consecutive life sentences. However, the sentence for murder isn't always life in prison. Even if it is, there's often parole. Therefore, killers are freed. They are put in a position to kill again. It could be argued that every moment they remain alive is a chance to kill again. Indeed, a fair number of them http://www.wesleylowe.com/repoff.html seem to have killed guards and/or fellow inmates. They don't even need to be released to do that!

The only hypothetical element in the scenario from my previous post was that I put the killer next to you. Murderers have to go somewhere upon release, which means innocent people have killers living next door. You might have a released murderer -- not one who simply was never caught, but one who was caught, convicted, and then released -- within 100 feet of you right now. You may never get to read this post because your next door neighbor might decide it's been WAY too long since he last tasted raw human kidney.

Unlikely? Extremely. Possible? Certainly. Has it happened to others? Without doubt.

The question was: How would you feel if you got to see it up close and personal? If you knew your next door neighbor had done murder and been released, would you be comfortable living near him? Would you feel like letting him go was the right idea? If a friend of yours were to be murdered by that man after his release, would you still feel you had the right idea? Would you be able to look your friend's family in the eye and tell them it was right for this dangerous criminal to be released?

Forget release, forget up close and personal, if you found out a convicted murderer had killed two guards and a fellow inmate while still in jail -- three more lives that could have been saved -- would you still feel you had the right idea?

It was a question, not a statement. You ask me to think of the 141 death row inmates who had their convictions overturned due to innocence. Have you thought of the inevitable casualties involved in allowing convicted killers who definitely did it to stay alive in prison, or even walk among us?

I did not say you wanted it to happen. At worst, I implied it happens as an unfortunate consequence of what you do want, namely, to keep killers alive. Read the post again and tell me where I said you wanted it to happen.

I couldn't get reliable figures for exactly how many murderers get out of jail, or how many die there, or how many of those released kill again. I count about 120 victims for recidivist killers on the list above. Not total victims, mind you, but only victims killed after previous conviction and jail time. Another page I found suggests convicted murderers have a 90% probability of committing violent crime again in the future, which would make the chance they will kill again fairly significant. I admit 90% sounds high, even to me. I expect with minimal effort you can produce a link to say the chance of repeat offense is minuscule. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

To me it doesn't matter whether that repeat offender list is complete or not, or what the rate of recidivism is. Any number of repeat victims is too many. It has come to pass more often than it should have, at least partly because the death penalty is so difficult to obtain, and tougher still to follow through on.

We can both agree that punishing the innocent is bad, and for a dozen reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it allows the true criminal to get away scott free with their crime.
A quick Google search tells me there are about 17,000 murders per year in America, 6000 of which go unsolved. If those numbers are solid, 35% of murderers are getting away with it right now.

You have expressed great concern over 3-4 people per year being wrongly sentenced to death. Forgive me if I sound callous, but that's a drop in the bucket next to the guilty who escape punishment entirely. Going from 35.29% failure to 35.31% failure doesn't seem all that horrible, especially if the overall murder rate, or the rate of recidivism, could be reduced to the point where we'd have a net gain of human life. I believe this would happen if there were more executions.

However, there is a difference between jailing an innocent and killing an innocent - you can be released from jail. You can't be brought back to life. Besides, what harm do you honestly think a serial killer / rapist / whatever can do from jail?
There's a difference between jailing a killer and killing a killer. If left alive in jail, they can kill guards, and other inmates -- plus, as long as they're alive, they drain resources, and can get out to kill again. This is not to mention the likelihood of other violent crime.

When we simply execute them....waste eliminated, risk eliminated.

If red tape could be cleared away, execution would become less of a drain on the public coffers. Furthermore, If potential killers knew the swift retribution of the needle awaited them should they be caught, it might cause them to think twice. Some folks will do what they want no matter what. We can't do anything about them. Others just need to see there is a line they can't cross. We can keep a larger portion of this group out of trouble by drawing that line and making it clear we're serious.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
This surprises me a little, I thought I could be considered more right than left.

Economic of -3.38
Social of -1.28
Suppose the social side anyway fits with what I think of myself.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Here's to another one bucking the trend I guess

I tend to dislike things like this, because the questions are always annoyingly rigid and often worded in a way that I answer one way despite actually feeling different about the general topic of the question.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Not surprising. I wouldn't consider myself quite as left-leaning economically though (more centre-left). I've taken the test before and I've always gotten the same result. Not particularly a fan of the Political Compass though. Some of the questions seem a bit irrelevant or poorly worded.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010

Sounds about right to me. Felt half the questions were leading as hell but I read between the lines as much as I could. I like people to be free but with so many people around there are some realities of regulation to accept and companies provide the lion's share of jobs but I don't want them taking over the world. Basically what I feel is the "common good."

Johnny Impact said:
If red tape could be cleared away, execution would become less of a drain on the public coffers. Furthermore, If potential killers knew the swift retribution of the needle awaited them should they be caught, it might cause them to think twice. Some folks will do what they want no matter what. We can't do anything about them. Others just need to see there is a line they can't cross. We can keep a larger portion of this group out of trouble by drawing that line and making it clear we're serious.
Maybe we nationalize the Gom Jabbar test? XD

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011

I'm so original. I took this test about a year ago. I'm much further into the same box no. That is probably because I actually know where I stand on political issues now. Last time I just voted agree or disagree on something I had no real opinion on.

james0192

Meh!
Oct 12, 2009

Yay for being different to everyone else!

Expected to be that far right (only if you consider left-right an economic scale, which I'm not sure is the best way to look at it) what with me being an economics student and everything.

Would have thought I'd have been more socially liberal than that though.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009

its interesting that almost everyone seemed to get basically the same result. and by interesting i mean extremely boring

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I love the idea, but too bad it's an awful test. Not quite even the equivalent of "Which Winnie The Pooh characters do you resemble the most" -themed quiz for kids. You'd need to be a neo-nazi with a bunch of silver spoons in your mouth to get a result largely differing from what most are getting.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-7.38&soc=-5.23

Vuxul

Europony
Dec 7, 2010
Not sure how to post images, however i was quite well on the right/libertarian side, 3.62 left/right and -4.92 up/down. Must say, fits pretty well.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Not gonna waste my time. Don't the two dimensions seem way to similar? What kind of test place the Dali effing Lama so close to the center, it's jive.