The slut issue

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

There's nothing wrong with women sleeping around. However they're often too stupid to take a pill everyday, so they get pregnant and keep the kid. Now the man's got to foot the bill for 18 years for a kid he never wanted. Who knows, he might not even be the father because she slept around so much. In situations like this the word slut works pretty well.

Just calling a woman a slut because she enjoys promiscuous safe sex is unnecessary.

MagunBFP

Sep 7, 2012
Treblaine said:
MagunBFP said:
Lying is always an absolute? Give me 100 people and then ask them is President Clinton had "sexual relations" with that woman, Miss Lowinski, and I very much doubt you will get 100% agreement on if he did or didn't... or maybe ask those 100 people just how far you would have to be before you were cheating on your partner and many different people would have different opinions... you could almost say the line is arbitrarily drawn.

If all women use slut to keep other women as prisoners to society then I pity them, that is an endless cycle of victimisation you are all perpetuating... maybe one day some good men will come along and set you free from these cruel expections you've been damned to try to live up to. All taunting aside, if you do something because you think it makes you more attractive or socially acceptible then you need help. The right thing is the right thing and no ones opinion of you matters more then your own, but I can say that I live the charmed life of the White, 30-ish, middle-class, decently educated, Male... in otherwords I'm the devil who has kept everyone else in chains and submission.

For the record I agree judging a vandal for destroying someone else's property is not bad, but its no different from judging a heroin addict who is only affecting themself, nor is it any different from judging a polygamous couple for having an open relationship...

The subtext is confusing... some women want other women, some men are very submissive and other women are either consumed with self-loathing or want to be seen as victims so they can rise above their male oppressors
Lying is claiming what is contrary to what you KNOW to be true. Being unsure about what actually happened and saying what is not true is not lying.

You should pity these women, women who as a group break out of this convention of "Slut labels negative power" never go back to it.

They aren't perpetuating this, most media is written, created and produced by men. Women are far too dependent on the approval of men who use the slut ideology.

"I agree judging a vandal for destroying someone else's property is not bad, but its no different from judging a heroin addict who is only affecting themself"

I don't judge drug addicts, I help them with the afflictions they wish they were rid of and hold no animosity to them or think they are deserving of any shame. I can understand they may have some self-created regret as their chemical habit needs higher and higher doses for smaller effects.

There is no confusion in the subtext... you are merely OBFUSCATING the non-issue.

Please don't turn this into a "ohh, poor mee" as if this is some persecution against men just because the slut-term isn't perpetuated by women.
First of all, my point about lying was that it is a matter of record the ex-President Clinton was fellated by by Miss Lewinsky. That being said whether that is sex is to alot of people a matter of interpretation. It all depends on if you believe oral sex is actual sex. If you do then he lied, if you do then he didn't. That is why the truth is not always absolute.

"women who as a group break out of this convention of "Slut labels negative power" never go back to it."

I was under the impression that you were saying all women were controlled by men and forced to obey their views of women having sex is bad... unless its with them... in which case the sex is good but the woman is bad... but if women can break out of this convention and not be forced back into it then who exactly is binding them to the archaic value system? The men who are controlling them, but not controlling them enough to stop them from breaking free? The other women who just want to keep all other women in their place? Or is there another group who is keeping them brow beaten and submissive?

As for your point on drug addicts, I see no reason to with hold help or assistance from anyone, but I'm not going to say, and I hope you're not going to defend, the obvious intentional self-destructive path they set for themselves.

As to me clouding the subtext, you may see it as obfuscation, I see it as adding dimensions to your own arguement. Its not as black and white as you've stated it. Men aren't the enemy, I have enough on my plate controlling everything in my own life, I have neither the interest nor the inclination to start dicating what standards women need to live up or down to.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

There's nothing wrong with women sleeping around. However they're often too stupid to take a pill everyday, so they get pregnant and keep the kid. Now the man's got to foot the bill for 18 years for a kid he never wanted. Who knows, he might not even be the father because she slept around so much. In situations like this the word slut works pretty well.

Just calling a woman a slut because she enjoys promiscuous safe sex is unnecessary.
I know right, god forbid the guy accept responsibility and make sure she takes the pill, or wear a condom. Or demand a paternity test should she claim it is his.

But no, it's all the woman's fault.

I won't respond to your first two lines, because I rather like having a clean record.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
Legion said:
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

I know right, god forbid the guy accept responsibility and make sure she takes the pill, or wear a condom. Or demand a paternity test should she claim it is his.

I won't respond to your first two lines, because I rather like having a clean record.
A man can't demand a paternity test, the woman needs to consent. Meaning paternity fraud is very hard to combat.

Women can lie about being on the pill believe it or not. Women also have loads of other options for contraception while men just have condoms. Women can have abortions freeing them from motherhood, men have no such option. Men can be forced to be fathers by women and the government makes sure they pay for their mistake. That's all there is to it. Claiming equal responsibility when women hold all the cards is ridiculous.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
fuzz said:
Legion said:
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

A man can't demand a paternity test, the woman needs to consent. Meaning paternity fraud is very hard to combat.

Women can lie about being on the pill believe it or not. Women also have loads of other options for contraception while men just have condoms. Women can have abortions freeing them from motherhood, men have no such option. Men can be forced to be fathers by women and the government makes sure they pay for their mistake. That's all there is to it. Claiming equal responsibility when women hold all the cards is ridiculous.
You are wrong about the first one, or rather, your context is.

If a woman wants to claim a man to be the father to her child then the man is entitled to ask for a paternity test. Should the woman refuse then she has no basis for her claim, therefore she'd have no right to demand the man support her.

So yes, she can refuse, but the man will then have the right to say "There is no proof that the baby is mine, therefore I have no obligation to look after it".

If you do not believe this to be true, nor that the law would support the man in this scenario then you are deluded.

As for the second point, I do not see how having more options makes the responsibility on the woman's behalf. It doesn't matter if the man only has condoms or not, the choice is still his whether or not he has sex with a woman or not, and if he is willing to trust her to use contraception should a condom not be available.

He can always say no if he doesn't have a condom and doesn't trust the girl. If he does trust her and gets screwed over, well then that's his fault for making a poor judgement and offloading the responsibility onto her.

Again, if you think that this means the guy shouldn't have to have responsibility in regards to whether he has sex or not, you are deluded.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I think that anyone who has sex with lots of random people is worthy of negative judgement. It's destabilizing for society.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
Legion said:
fuzz said:
Legion said:
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

You are wrong about the first one, or rather, your context is.

If a woman wants to claim a man to be the father to her child then the man is entitled to ask for a paternity test. Should the woman refuse then she has no basis for her claim, therefore she'd have no right to demand the man support her.

So yes, she can refuse, but the man will then have the right to say "There is no proof that the baby is mine, therefore I have no obligation to look after it".

If you do not believe this to be true, nor that the law would support the man in this scenario then you are deluded.

As for the second point, I do not see how having more options makes the responsibility on the woman's behalf. It doesn't matter if the man only has condoms or not, the choice is still his whether or not he has sex with a woman or not, and if he is willing to trust her to use contraception should a condom not be available.

He can always say no if he doesn't have a condom and doesn't trust the girl. If he does trust her and gets screwed over, well then that's his fault for making a poor judgement and offloading the responsibility onto her.

Again, if you think that this means the guy shouldn't have to have responsibility in regards to whether he has sex or not, you are deluded.
When a woman can choose to have an abortion and be celebrated as 'pro choice' and a man has to live with her decision, she bears greater responsibility. The choice to have sex is a 50/50 split. Saying it's a man's fault if a woman lies about being on the pill is disgusting. That's the same mentality that blames women for getting raped. But I get it, women can do no wrong.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
I still think my suggestion of calling them Schwinns is the best.

I'll defend this idea with my life.
Schwinns are stupid. Bianchi Bicycles 4 lyfe!!!!!11!!!

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Kakashi on crack said:
So then why is it "wrong" to call someone a player/slut if they sleep around a lot? It seems to me like you're just stating the obvious with this, you know?
This is actually quite simple.

It is still an issue twelve years into the new millennium because social conservatives produce the lion's share of native population renewal in pretty much all Western nations within the anglosphere. This almost without exception below the replacement level needed to sustain the current population let alone provide population growth required to sustain a modern capitalist consumer based society, so this is topped up by immigration but the catch 22 here is that increasingly the immigrants that are available also happen to be socially conservative.

Hence why it appears that progressive political thought has been stuck in neutral going nowhere fast for the last 10-20 years.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
There's nothing wrong with using the word "slut" at all.
As long as your standards for male and female sluttery are the same.

It is simply a quicker and easier word to say than "promiscuous".

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Because slut is used as an insult for something that isn't inherently negative.

It's more like if I called someone a ****** for being gay, or calling a black person a ******.

Another reason being is that "slut" is rarely used as you describe it. It's usually used against people who "don't dress properly" or even against people you just don't like and want to slander. Or it's often used when the person using it doesn't actually have any real evidence of the so-called "slutty" behavior of the accused.

It's pretty simply logic and if you'd thought about for a few minutes more I think we wouldn't have this thread.

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

Okay, dude, it's less about the word in your case, and more the fact that you have some slight anger issues towards women. Why do you feel the need to bring up these mythical women trapping people with babies? It's not healthy.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
generals3 said:
Because if a word describing your behavior hurts your feelings you have only yourself to blame.
Slut is a slur. That's like calling your flamboyant friend a ****** and saying "Well it describes your behaviour!" It isn't a descriptor. It's a loaded term with extremely negative connotations.
I beg to differ. It is both a descriptor and loaded. I could also argue that "cheater" is loaded and people should say "someone who doesn't follow the rules". And i actually wouldn't use such a loaded terms if it weren't for all the negative effects such behaviors can have. (higher odds of getting or giving an STD and "breaking someone's heart" (not everyone knows who they get involved with is a "slut"(male or female))) And as such, as long as the behavior has negative side effects i will keep on using a term loaded with negativity.

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
CaptainKarma said:
fuzz said:
Being a stud is hard.
Being a slut is easy.

Okay, dude, it's less about the word in your case, and more the fact that you have some slight anger issues towards women. Why do you feel the need to bring up these mythical women trapping people with babies? It's not healthy.
I was a little extreme. My point was sometimes 'slut' is the right word to describe someone. And no, women like this are not mythical, it happens more than you might think. I don't have issues with women, I have issues with individuals who take a man's mistake and make him pay for it for 18 years when a woman can leave her responsibilities behind and be celebrated for doing so.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Womplord said:
I think that anyone who has sex with lots of random people is worthy of negative judgement. It's destabilizing for society.
Not being confrontational at all, just genuinely curious:

Why do you believe this is destabilising for society? What do you think it does to destabilise our societies? I've just never heard someone say that before.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Saying slut is as acceptable as any offensive term. If it's used light heartedly between friends then it's good, if it's used to torment someone it's bad. And there's a whole spectrum between. Unfortunately, abuse will always exist, but banning every word that offends you will lead nowhere. New words will be made, etc. My friends all call each other sluts, I do it too. It's funny when no one cares. This, to me, is ideal. But I don't go out of my way to abuse anyone who is bothered by the term.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
fuzz said:
I don't have issues with women, I have issues with individuals who take a man's mistake and make him pay for it for 18 years when a woman can leave her responsibilities behind and be celebrated for doing so.
What, are you suggesting that if a woman has a child it's going to be purely the responsibility of the man involved?

Because if the woman chooses to keep the baby, it's them who have to go through with the whole pregnancy thing, and it's not like they can just force the man to take the child and not be involved at all.

And 'celebrated'? Depends a lot on where you live.

Don't want to have children? Make sure to use a condom.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'll leave you with this piece of wisdom OP: you can say anything you like, anything. It just depends on how you say it.
You have no idea how much I agree.
Implication is everything.
Slightly more OT: Most people think of the unpleasant connotations of the word slut, but y'know, things are changing slowly, and not as many women get as offended.
Then again, the women who don't mind it often are rather promiscuous