The Spoony One has been ejected from That Guy With the Glasses.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
S.K. Ren said:
I honestly can't see how the original tweet could be interpreted as rape. Sure he's offering to chain her BUT lots of people do that for fun themselves. It didn't say he'd force her, rather that the option was available. It wasn't an offhand rape joke, it was a BDSM joke. Seriously wtf CA? Grow up.
All the people denying it could even possible be rape reminds me this little bit, hell it fits perfectly

There is so much more to this then that one tweet anyway.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
JimB said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
I meant "better" in terms of his mental break. Like he's slowed down a bit since going from zero to ten last week. Actually trying for some semblance of peace is a good sign that he's mellowing as I said before.
These are all reasonable and honorable things you have said, and I agree with both your analysis and your intent behind them.
Hmm. Thanks? I guess?

Sorry, but the way that read, it was so matter of fact I'm almost not sure whether you were being sarcastic.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Jegsimmons said:
Actually, to be fair, it can be TAKEN as a rape joke, but probably wasn't intended to be anything other than an off color joke about bondage and hard loving.
Yeah. For my part, I don't get rape from the joke so much as, "I'm cheering for you and your boyfriend to break up so I can chain you to a pipe like an object and own you forever! Ha ha!" It's in serious bad taste, and I can't blame anyone who sees rape hiding between the lines, but there is room to argue.

I'd just like to know if the man himself has ever said it's not a rape joke. As with the matter of how his diagnosis affects his behavior, I feel a lot of his supporters are making unfair and unsupported assumptions to try to spin things in his favor.

TheDrunkNinja said:
Sorry, but the way that read, it was so matter of fact I'm almost not sure whether you were being sarcastic.
It is matter of fact, but not sarcastic. I may have overcompensated with the profuseness of my agreement, though; I feel like my aggressive tone leads people to assume I'm against them even when I'm not, so I wanted to be very clear that I understand and agree with what you were saying, and I find it admirable in its levelheadedness.

Or, in fewer words: Kudos to you, sir.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
*sigh* Reading the original "rape" twitter, it reads exactly like something Spoony would say in a review as casual snark. I can even pick out the cadence he uses for that, like I were hearing him say it while rolling his eyes and tossing his hair back, striking a "manly pose" for comedic effect.

Bad taste? Sure it is. Welcome to snark comedy, of which there's loads on Channel Awesome.

Oh, and before we get into the "you're a guy, you wouldn't understand", I'm a victim of childhood sexual abuse who was homophobic well into his 20s as a result.

Just so you know.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
Well ROb Walker set the record straight, Spoony left TGWTG not fired. There was a disagreement in the policy of Twitter and Noah asked to be set free because he did not agree with Channel Awesome's policy.

it was a mutual parting with no bad blood from either Noah or the management of Channel Awesome, so I guess it was us fans that kicked up the shitstorm in the aftermath. Though you got to admit at the time it certainly did not seem the parting was without rancor. There was certainly no shortage of venom spewed from both sides when it happened.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ak1gnM381qcrpm2o1_1280.png

Thanks Rob for being a stand up guy and telling us what no one else has, Holly Lupa ect insisting it was a sexual harassment firing.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
JimB said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
It is matter of fact, but not sarcastic. I may have overcompensated with the profuseness of my agreement, though; I feel like my aggressive tone leads people to assume I'm against them even when I'm not, so I wanted to be very clear that I understand and agree with what you were saying, and I find it admirable in its levelheadedness.

Or, in fewer words: Kudos to you, sir.
Well, jeez, now you just sound condescending!

I kid, I kid.

Thank you for your matter of fact compliment, sir.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
Thanks, Rob, for being a stand up guy and telling us what no one else has, Holly Lupa ect insisting it was a sexual harassment firing.

What.

I am trying very hard to hold my temper here, renaissance_nerd, and to give you the benefit of the doubt. The mangled English of your post is hard to understand, so maybe I'm misreading you. Are you saying that Ms. Christine and Ms. Pregler had been insisting Mr. Antwiler was fired for sexual harassment?

gookygox

Jun 25, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
Thanks Rob for being a stand up guy and telling us what no one else has, Holly Lupa ect insisting it was a sexual harassment firing.
I get that you don't like me, and that's fine. But let's not pretend that I ever insisted it was a sexual harassment firing.

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/216228597524996097
https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/216056464605855745

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
gookygox said:
renaissance_nerd said:
I get that you don't like me, and that's fine. But let's not pretend that I ever insisted it was a sexual harassment firing.

https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/216228597524996097
https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/216056464605855745
ok I am willing to admit it was a mistake of second hand information, I apologize,I thought you had agreed to the claims it was over his sexual comments on twitter and to the best of my knowledge your language led people to believe it was not of his choice. Just to clarify I do not like how you handled the situation/aftermath and the people under your "employment", you as a person I cannot like or dislike as I know nothing about you.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:
Thanks, Rob, for being a stand up guy and telling us what no one else has, Holly Lupa ect insisting it was a sexual harassment firing.

What.

I am trying very hard to hold my temper here, renaissance_nerd, and to give you the benefit of the doubt. The mangled English of your post is hard to understand, so maybe I'm misreading you. Are you saying that Ms. Christine and Ms. Pregler had been insisting Mr. Antwiler was fired for sexual harassment?
Ms. Pregler yes, Holly I was obviously misinformed. Also honestly so what if you lose your temper. What are you going to do, Use strong language in all caps?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
JimB said:
Are you saying that Ms. Christine and Ms. Pregler had been insisting Mr. Antwiler was fired for sexual harassment?
Ms. Pregler, yes; Holly, I was obviously misinformed.
I admit I've only been poking around for confirmation of your assertion for ten minutes, but where did she claim credit for him being fired when he apparently quit of his own accord?

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:
JimB said:
Are you saying that Ms. Christine and Ms. Pregler had been insisting Mr. Antwiler was fired for sexual harassment?
Ms. Pregler, yes; Holly, I was obviously misinformed.
I admit I've only been poking around for confirmation of your assertion for ten minutes, but where did she claim credit for him being fired when he apparently quit of his own accord?

Like Rob had to clarify, Company line was he was "let go" that implied he did not leave of his own free will.Weather that was just a failure of HR giving proper instructions on how to talk about it or what I don't know. Allison's twitter (which is now deleted) stated several times about how this was about his language and harassing fans and co workers, Which again leads one to believe he was fired and the subject matter the incident was over.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
Company line was he was "let go."
No, it wasn't. The words they used were "have decided to part ways."

renaissance_nerd said:
Allison's Twitter (which is now deleted) stated several times this was about his language and harassing fans and co-workers.
So she said the problem was that he was harassing co-workers--plural--as well as fans, and you interpret that as meaning, "Hooray! I, Allison Pregler, got Noah fired from the site with a sexual harassment charge?"

gookygox

Jun 25, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
ok I am willing to admit it was a mistake of second hand information, I apologize,I thought you had agreed to the claims it was over his sexual comments on twitter. Just to clarify I do not like how you handled the situation/aftermath, you as a person I cannot like or dislike as I know nothing about you.
If you didn't read everything I said, then how can you know how I handled the situation/aftermath? You do know that I don't fully act of my own accord, right? I report to Mike Michaud directly and tangentially to Rob Walker. And for the record, although I am the one that posted it, and interacted directly with the public Rob wrote the initial statement.

renaissance_nerd said:
Like Rob had to clarify, Company line was he was "let go" that implied he did not leave of his own free will.Weather that was just a failure of HR giving proper instructions on how to talk about it or what I don't know. Allison's twitter (which is now deleted) stated several times about how this was about his language and harassing fans and co workers.
When the decision was made, it was unexpected. It's difficult to communicate instantly with nearly 100 contributors located across North America and Europe. If Allison DID say what you claim my guess would be that she assumed he was fired for non-compliance with the terms of his suspension. However, there are far more damning Tweets still up on her timeline so it doesn't make sense to me that she would delete some but not others.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
gookygox said:
renaissance_nerd said:
ok I am willing to admit it was a mistake of second hand information, I apologize,I thought you had agreed to the claims it was over his sexual comments on twitter. Just to clarify I do not like how you handled the situation/aftermath, you as a person I cannot like or dislike as I know nothing about you.
If you didn't read everything I said, then how can you know how I handled the situation/aftermath? You do know that I don't fully act of my own accord, right? I report to Mike Michaud directly and tangentially to Rob Walker. And for the record, although I am the one that posted it, and interacted directly with the public Rob wrote the initial statement.
why were members of Channel Awesome allowed to engage with Noah and egg him on? Why did you not give specific instructions on the situation and what could be said and not said, like other professional companies? A director of Human resources would have that authority. This happened aver several days so "instant" communication was not needed, and there was at least a day between his announced suspension (which started the flame war) and his leaving. Also there was a large indication who may have potentially have had strong opinions on the matter so you could have given those a phone call and stated to remain quiet in public venues about it.

She deleted the ones where she directly contributed to the baiting/flame war like the infamous "did Oreo find you a new mommy yet?" comment.

Also would you not agree that without clarification a post made by you could also be considered authored by you?

As this whole thing turned out it is a rather large black eye on Channel awesome and it's members that could have been avoided or at the very least minimized.

gookygox

Jun 25, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
why were members of Channel Awesome allowed to engage with Noah and egg him on? Why did you not give specific instructions on the situation and what could be said and not said, like other professional companies? A director of Human resources would have that authority. This happened aver several days so "instant" communication was not needed, and there was at least a day between his announced suspension (which started the flame war) and his leaving.

She deleted the ones where she directly contributed to the baiting/flame war like the infamous "did Oreo find you a new mommy yet?" comment.
why do you assume that was allowed? because they did it? tweets aren't submitted to me for approval. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but I JUST looked at Lupa's twitter and that tweet is still there.

It is not a CA policy to announce disciplinary actions against contributors. Noah announced his own. That was his choice.

Since you'd edited your post yet again:

The post is signed "Staff at Channel Awesome" and the byline reads "Channel Awesome". Aside from me telling you just now, there is no way anyone could have said with any certainty that I was the employee that published that post.

I don't think I'm going to reply any further regarding the above. This is all stuff I've said on Twitter previously. It's clear you're acting on assumption and hearsay. I'm not sure why you want to find fault with CA but I've said all I can on the matter.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
gookygox said:
renaissance_nerd said:
why were members of Channel Awesome allowed to engage with Noah and egg him on? Why did you not give specific instructions on the situation and what could be said and not said, like other professional companies? A director of Human resources would have that authority. This happened aver several days so "instant" communication was not needed, and there was at least a day between his announced suspension (which started the flame war) and his leaving.

why do you assume that was allowed? because they did it? tweets aren't submitted to me for approval. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but I JUST looked at Lupa's twitter and that tweet is still there.

It is not a CA policy to announce disciplinary actions against contributors. Noah announced his own. That was his choice.

Since you'd edited your post yet again:

The post is signed "Staff at Channel Awesome" and the byline reads "Channel Awesome". Aside from me telling you just now, there is no way anyone could have said with any certainty that I was the employee that published that post.
So I'm curious. Your basically neither confirming nor denying that Lupa was punished for her antagonizing Noah?

gookygox

Jun 25, 2012
th3dark3rsh33p said:
So I'm curious. Your basically neither confirming nor denying that Lupa was punished for her antagonizing Noah?
Correct. I did say on Twitter that I spoke with Allison. I know anything considered antagonistic stopped. However the disciplinary action is up to her manager, Rob. I have never worked for a company that publicly announced disciplinary action and we have no intention to do so. I am aware that people would like to know, however it's a no-win situation. Damned if we do confirm or deny anything, damned if we don't.

KRAKENDIE

Mar 19, 2012
Calbeck said:
*sigh* Reading the original "rape" twitter, it reads exactly like something Spoony would say in a review as casual snark. I can even pick out the cadence he uses for that, like I were hearing him say it while rolling his eyes and tossing his hair back, striking a "manly pose" for comedic effect.

Bad taste? Sure it is. Welcome to snark comedy, of which there's loads on Channel Awesome.

Oh, and before we get into the "you're a guy, you wouldn't understand", I'm a victim of childhood sexual abuse who was homophobic well into his 20s as a result.

Just so you know.
You know that isn't being "snarky" right? It is not even close. Snarky is being an unpleasant smartass. That, is half a threat, half a proposition.

And saying "Oh that's just Spoony" doesn't necessarily lend closure to whether or not it was something truly ugly or just incredibly immature.