The Spoony One has been ejected from That Guy With the Glasses.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
That will not happen which is why most of us are still mad.
Uh huh. Who is "most of us?" How many of you are there? What are your names? Because if you're going to insist that you have some kind of majority behind you, I want some evidence of that.

renaissance_nerd said:
She is censoring/blocking/reprimanding anything she finds offensive, not necessarily what Channel Awesome finds offensive.
Crap. Channel Awesome cannot find anything offensive; Channel Awesome does not have the capacity. Channel Awesome is nothing but a name on a business license and a logo on a graphics card. It is not a person. Only people can be offended by anything.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:
Uh huh. Who is "most of us?" How many of you are there? What are your names? Because if you're going to insist that you have some kind of majority behind you, I want some evidence of that.

renaissance_nerd said:
She is censoring/blocking/reprimanding anything she finds offensive, not necessarily what Channel Awesome finds offensive.
Crap. Channel Awesome cannot find anything offensive; Channel Awesome does not have the capacity. Channel Awesome is nothing but a name on a business license and a logo on a graphics card. It is not a person. Only people can be offended by anything.
Yea let me get those names for you instead of you looking though this thread and doing research of your own.You seem to love to argue semantics while completely missing the point the person is trying to convey.

A company forms policy, Policy dictates what is acceptable and what is not so yes a company can be offended.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
It's him, me, and 3 other guys.

Blackout2012

Jul 1, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
Four other guys!

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
?Okay, let me make one thing perfectly clear, this is NOT jumping the shark. I?m gonna repeat that again, this is NOT jumping the shark. No, no, no. This is jumping the shark, coming back, shooting it in the balls, raping it, eating its flesh, consuming its soul, mounting its head on the wall? and then doing the same thing to 12 more fucking sharks!?
? The Nostalgia Critic?s Neverending Story 3 review

Apparently you can rape sharks but you can't "love someone your way"

where is Lupa's blog about how raping sharks offends her?

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Blackout2012 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
Four other guys!
Make it 5!

Blackout2012

Jul 1, 2012
darksuccubus said:
Blackout2012 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
Four other guys!
Make it 5!
And then! The World!

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
Yeah, let me get those names for you instead of you looking though this thread and doing research of your own.
I am not the one making the claim. I do not owe it to you to prove your point for you.

renaissance_nerd said:
You seem to love to argue semantics while completely missing the point the person is trying to convey.
Yes, I do like to argue semantics, because semantics are how you convey your point as precisely as possible. Semantics are the only way I have of understanding your point, since this is a dry, textual medium without the benefit of body language or inflection. When you talk about Channel Awesome's capacity to be offended, you act as if it is somehow capable of caring about things. It isn't. It does not have the equipment to do so. Only the individuals who compose Channel Awesome can care about things, and I sincerely doubt they have a one hundred percent unified view on any topic more complex than "Oxygen is good." By claiming that Channel Awesome does have some sort of collective will, you're implying that there's some united front being violated by that eeeeevil woman who runs the HR department. Holly Christine is not Emperor Palpatine, and the producers are not the Rebel Alliance.

renaissance_nerd said:
A company forms policy; policy dictates what is acceptable and what is not; so yes, a company can be offended.
People can take actions in violation of company policy. The company is physically incapable of caring about it.

--

To everyone who weighed in on what specific issue they're angry about, thank you.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Blackout2012 said:
darksuccubus said:
Blackout2012 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
Four other guys!
Make it 5!
And then! The World!
How about just Canada?

saintash

Jun 29, 2012
renaissance_nerd said:
?Okay, let me make one thing perfectly clear, this is NOT jumping the shark. I?m gonna repeat that again, this is NOT jumping the shark. No, no, no. This is jumping the shark, coming back, shooting it in the balls, raping it, eating its flesh, consuming its soul, mounting its head on the wall? and then doing the same thing to 12 more fucking sharks!?

see that's where my whole problem is with this if the story is true that 'she found a comment inappropriate' because more then once people have made rape jokes on the site. rape is terrible that's why when its used in a jokes its to show how awful something is, the joke comes off as funny.

the more i read about this the more lupa's actions remind me a chick i went to collage a few years ago, she had very religious upbringing and somethings just did not sit well with her, and there were times she got into fights with others we were living with, and this girl would pretty much make it so every one had a to pick a side while she was fight with another person in the house.

now im not saying, Spoony has done no wrong- and supposedly lupa was bring this up to call attention to his actions, she may have remembered just seeing the stupid tweet a while back and used it as an example of 'this is why you need to shape up'.

here is the thing about telling some one they need to change. people dont like hearing that, people like it less when you do it in a very public and for all the world to see, any normal person would lash out. so even if Lupa was 100% right, and the joke was wrong, and the way he acted/acting was wrong. Lupa should have said her piece, via email-phone call, or direct messaging.

there are right and wrong ways to handle shit, while i was in this collage i was one of 3 girls in my block of classes, and being a girl surrounded by boys i had to deal with alot of crap they would throw out at me,to the point that one day they made a pretty fucked up and mean horrible joke for a class assignment no less about a fellow class mate chaining me down and having his way with me after i was done with my period. this set off a chain of events where i did not speak to anyone for a while. then one day one of the other girls in my class, one i didnt live with asked if she should talk with me for a bit. she then took me aside after every one had left and told me why the guys acted the way they did, and if i toned who i was down a bit, i would be less of a target. we talked for a long time, and at the end of that conversion i was really pissed at her, not that she took the guys side. not because i still believed nothing i was doing warranted that kind of treatment, i was pissed she told me i needed to change who i am. i still respect that she WAITED to do this while we where alone, while we where in private. Nothing she said to me i agreed with, but she knew to do it in private, not in front of any one else.

you can blame Spoony for making a shitty terrible joke, you can blame him for yelling at people who only want the best for him, but at the end of the day i see it as Lupa who make this a public thing

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
People can take actions in violation of company policy. The company is physically incapable of caring about it.
People make up the company and without that collective there is no company. So i stand by my statement that yes a company (a collective of employed/like minded individuals) can be offended.

HappyMcSmiles

Jul 2, 2012
darksuccubus said:
Blackout2012 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
JimB said:
renaissance_nerd said:

renaissance_nerd said:
Four other guys!
Make it 5!
Made an account just for this. Make it 6.

If you have a problem with another co-worker's behavior, or feel that you or someone else has been harassed, YOU CONTACT YOUR MANAGER AND/OR HR. Period. The end. You do not take it to the court of public opinion. This entire debacle was one big HR clusterfuck the second Lupa decided to publicly confront Spoony. Sexual harassment, whether perceived, intentional, or third-party, is an HR issue. If Lupa was some random follower of Spoony's out on the internet, then there would be no issue other than e-drama. But since they are co-workers, unlike 'Nam, there are rules.

Spoony was suspended by HR for violating the company's Twitter policy... after Lupa violated HR policy on Twitter. Ironic, right?

Holly, if you're still reading this thread and want to call yourself an HR Director, I strongly suggest you start signing up for classes. Where everyone else failed in common sense, decency, good taste, or restraint... you failed at your job.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
God damn this thread is still going? This thread hasn't seemed to go anywhere significant in days.

John Farrell

Oct 26, 2011
Has anyone reported that Lupa has made her Facebook page private? Now you have to join her group to talk to her. She has retreated to her fandom rather than face what she has unleashed.

I'm not saying she is at fault here. Spoony dug his own grave attacking fans. Lupa did not remove herself from the situation, got heavily involved and agitated what was happening.

renaissance_nerd

Jun 25, 2012
John Farrell said:
Has anyone reported that Lupa has made her Facebook page private? Now you have to join her group to talk to her. She has retreated to her fandom rather than face what she has unleashed.

I'm not saying she is at fault here. Spoony dug his own grave attacking fans. Lupa did not remove herself from the situation, got heavily involved and agitated what was happening.
yea Lupa has retreated to a place where she is worshiped as a saint for having the courage to confront the evil man-troll Spoony and slay it with her mighty feminist axe of great justice.(which was really a long and incredibly boring blog)

I'm not kidding this is seriously what some of Lupa's fans think she did.I wish I could point to the forums posts before they got taken down at TGWTG.

nom de plume

Jul 2, 2012
Did any of the TGWTG/Blistered Thumbs staff object to,or feel appalled by the Benzaie Videos for the jp game Rapeplay he posted in his GameFap series? Where was the outrage then? Neither the games or Spoonys off- colour joke could be taken seriously...Hypocrisy..

Once a suspension has been haded out to a employeee if should be carried out to its full extent,not to be followed up with a termination 10 minutes later! Total PR failure as others have said and poor management.

VoiceOfTheVoiceless

Jun 2, 2011
renaissance_nerd said:
yea Lupa has retreated to a place where she is worshiped as a saint for having the courage to confront the evil man-troll Spoony and slay it with her mighty feminist axe of great justice.(which was really a long and incredibly boring blog)

I'm not kidding this is seriously what some of Lupa's fans think she did.I wish I could point to the forums posts before they got taken down at TGWTG.
Standard operating procedure. Protect the one you're keeping by destroying the evidence. Also, Doug will probably never make a statement because SOP is also protecting the face of the company.

I think CA gets the raw end of the deal because Spoony is tons funnier than anything Lupa/Phelous have done. Holly...well...I never heard of a HR director going on a forum to "defend" a decision. I would not doubt all the reviewers on CA have gag orders on their contracts that when they leave, regardless of circumstances, they can't talk about the reasons or anything in public forums.

Know what Lupa is? She the geek girl working in the videogame store that the geeks think is attainable. She probably didn't get punished because they feel the need to keep the women on that site on a pedestal. Phelous? He's just....just sad.

CA has lost fans and they'll never admit it, obviously. After I see what they do with the 4th anniversary, I can just stick to the 2 or 3 producers own site to watch their videos. No idea if CA gets a cut that way but I can hope they don't. Can't boycott Lupa or Phelous because I never watched their stuff in the first place. Tried one Phelous video, commented on it and a Phelous troll came out of the woodwork and threatened to stab me in the eye or something.

Now, new thing I wonder about is 3 reviewers from there are now partners at blip.tv, them being Doug, NChick and......Todd? The masked severely unfunny does reviews of pop songs guy? Isn't he dating NChick? NEW CONSPIRACY!!!!

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
renaissance_nerd said:

Okay, get this into your thick skull: That was a scripted joke.
Do you understand that word? Scripted?
SPoony's comment was bad taste, he openly "Joked" about either raping someone or kidnapping them. FFS, if he felt the desperate need to do so, use skype or something remotely private.
You and yours insistence to keep bringing up "Oh, but what about this joke then!" is stupid as hell as that's joke which are written beforehand, and clearly in character. If Spoony is in CHaracter off-stage, he's got worse issues than one can imagine.
Spoony is an arse, but his fans seems about ten times worse. Sniveling little cowards who somehow think attacking every female on CA makes them men.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
NortherWolf said:
renaissance_nerd said:

Okay, get this into your thick skull: That was a scripted joke.
Do you understand that word? Scripted?
SPoony's comment was bad taste, he openly "Joked" about either raping someone or kidnapping them. FFS, if he felt the desperate need to do so, use skype or something remotely private.
You and yours insistence to keep bringing up "Oh, but what about this joke then!" is stupid as hell as that's joke which are written beforehand, and clearly in character. If Spoony is in CHaracter off-stage, he's got worse issues than one can imagine.
Spoony is an arse, but his fans seems about ten times worse. Sniveling little cowards who somehow think attacking every female on CA makes them men.
Way to completely miss the point why rape jokes are so controversial. Well done...?

Look up what a "Trigger Warning" is sometime, will ya?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
HappyMcSmiles said:
Spoony was suspended by HR for violating the company's Twitter policy... after Lupa violated HR policy on Twitter.
Oh? What is their policy, then?

John Farrell said:
What, she owes it to people to let them attack her on Facebook?

nom de plume said:
Neither the games or Spoony's off-color joke could be taken seriously...Hypocrisy...

Once a suspension has been handed out to an employee, it should be carried out to its full extent, not to be followed up with a termination ten minutes later!
Your facts here are objectively wrong. He was not fired for his Tweet, nor fired at all.

NortherWolf said:
Spoony is an arse, but his fans seems about ten times worse; sniveling little cowards who somehow think attacking every female on Channel Awesome makes them men.
Um. I don't think it's fair to condemn the entire fandom based on an extremely loud, offensive few, any more than it would be fair to condemn all Christian based on those wantwits in the Westboro Baptist Church.