The Story Snob

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
Fable 2 would be better without the main story...I haven't read any one else's comments so someone may have said that before me but anyway...

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
pyrus7 said:
If a game with good gameplay but a crappy story should remove the story elements, then shouldn't a game with a good story but crappy gameplay remove the gameplay elements?
Yes I do believe they should...and go make a book or a movie...or find someone else who can make a good game to go with there good story because plenty of games suffer from that...

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm a HUGE story snob! I've often said, "No story, no point [in my playing]!" This goes for any form of entertainment; books, movies, gaming like D&D. Action without the motivation and joy of interesting characters, plot development, and generally imaginative foreplay for my brain, is not interesting action.

Take the movies, Transformers 1 and 2 by Bay. Forget for a minute that Bay butchered a childhood icon on a multitude of levels, and focus on the "story" and "characters." As per the original, there's about a bazzinion different transformers on either side. But when they start biting the dust in all the action, do we really care? No. Looks cool. Bay can really crash a car, and make it look impressive, but we don't really care when that transformer dies. Take Optimus Prime; he died in the original series, and I CRIED for a whole day! I was lost in a sea of sorrow for this robo truck that had a depth of character my child-brain couldn't understand. He died, I cried, and the show was instantly sure to stay in my mind forever. Bay killed Optimus, and yaknow what? Don't care. There was no real character development.

(I wouldn't have minded that Transformers was focused on the humans more than the Transformers themselves, if the humans had interesting character development that made me actually care about them. Also, I'm sorry I'm going all MovieBob on you all. :) I needed an example and "Megan Fox not in transformers 3" in the links below gave me what I needed.)

I was surprised when I saw Sonic Unleased. I thought, "really? It's got a story worthy of a story snobs praise? Huh. Maybe I should give it a shot." Almost had me there, mr smartypants. :)

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Shamus Young said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Shamus Young said:
Sonic Unleashedand
Umm... you thought Sonic Unleashed, the game that brought the most annoying character that the Sonic world has ever brought upon us, had a good story?
Took until comment #40 until we got one!

:)
Excuse me?
Shamus Young said:
(Also, I was just trolling you with Sonic Unleashed. Let's see if anyone ragequits the article and comments without reading all the way through.)
In any case, brilliant article, Shamus. I could not agree more with your thoughts.

I think the problem with game developers is that they are unwilling to pay for top quality storytelling. They are willing to hire top-of-the-line artists, voice actors, musicians.....but when it comes to story, they are content with using a scribble a developer made during lunch.

Basically, if they want to convey good stories, they need to start hiring people that will make good stories. They should not be content with merely making something up as they go along.
Oh... I am a moron.
Takes a big man to admit when he's been had. :) And you have been had ever so gloriously. ;) Let this be a finger waggling lession to you, young man! Always finish reading the article before challenging something it has to say. :)

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Shamus Young said:
Sonic Unleashedand
Umm... you thought Sonic Unleashed, the game that brought the most annoying character that the Sonic world has ever brought upon us, had a good story?
TsunamiWombat said:
SONIC. UNLEASHED!?

manwhat?
^ Point and laugh kids. Point and laugh.

Shamus Young said:

Well, I'd say that that says a lot about your articles and the The Escapist community. Crushing majority of people will read your articles through before commenting. That can't be a bad thing.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
As far as games go, these days I mostly think that no story is the best story. I'm tired of having these C grade game stories shoved in my face when I just want to plaaaay. It's like if I bought a punk rock album that had 2 minute punk songs interspersed with some damp fart reading bad children's stories to me. And they mastered the disc all as one track so I can't even skip to the good stuff.

I'm perhaps the biggest story snob and find very few game stories to be up to snuff but stories are not the only thing in my life. I wish that people would stop being so obsessed with stories so I can have my games back.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
When you said Sonic Unleashed, I thought maybe all the shit I've heard about it was from retarded haters. Like the ones you always see lurking around games like Halo.

But I guess there really is no love for it. Huh.

Other than that, I do agree with the 'less is more' aspect. For example, I'd rather play a game written by George Orwell (if you haven't read his stuff, he manages to cram profound amounts of detail into the tiniest of spaces) than one by, say, Charles Dickens (who was well known for drawing things out. Probably the inventor of Filler episodes, bless his soul).

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Firia said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Shamus Young said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Shamus Young said:
Sonic Unleashedand

Excuse me?
Shamus Young said:
(Also, I was just trolling you with Sonic Unleashed. Let's see if anyone ragequits the article and comments without reading all the way through.)
In any case, brilliant article, Shamus. I could not agree more with your thoughts.

I think the problem with game developers is that they are unwilling to pay for top quality storytelling. They are willing to hire top-of-the-line artists, voice actors, musicians.....but when it comes to story, they are content with using a scribble a developer made during lunch.

Basically, if they want to convey good stories, they need to start hiring people that will make good stories. They should not be content with merely making something up as they go along.
Oh... I am a moron.
Takes a big man to admit when he's been had. :) And you have been had ever so gloriously. ;) Let this be a finger waggling lession to you, young man! Always finish reading the article before challenging something it has to say. :)
I am sorry :(

jmpatt

Nov 25, 2008
Very well said, I completely agree. If you go to a coffee shop and order a coffee, and they bring you out a plate with a truly outstanding coffee with a side of dog feces on toast, it's really OK to complain about that. "If you didn't want a crap sandwich, you should have gone to a sandwich shop" is not an acceptable defense. If you're going to serve it, make it good or leave it off. There's nothing wrong with a good coffee by itself, nor with pac-man.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Shamus said:
HAHAH! I was just about to throw a BF before that line.

You have redeemed yourself, good sir!

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
i honestly couldn't tell if the sonic thing was a troll, i have no intrest in playing it and i wads rubbish at it as a kid and never really got into it. imagine if there was a story worth its salt in there, i'd never know

Apr 28, 2008
Da Ork said:
Fable 2 would be better without the main story...I haven't read any one else's comments so someone may have said that before me but anyway...
Nah, I don't remember reading anything about it. But yeah, I agree.
The whole game was fun, and the sidequests were usually unique, interesting, and funny.

Its just the main story that sucks ass. At the very least they could have swapped the roles of Lucien and Reaver.

Apr 28, 2008
Madshaw said:
i honestly couldn't tell if the sonic thing was a troll, i have no intrest in playing it and i wads rubbish at it as a kid and never really got into it. imagine if there was a story worth its salt in there, i'd never know
Shamus said:
So... yeah.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I hate Story in games.

Too many AAA titles seem to be developed not by video game designers, but by frustrated film directors.

Just take that $100,000,000 and make a movie, already.

A game is a system of rules supporting your interactive participation that may involve some challenge and/or discovery yielding a "reward".

A pre-scripted narrative limits the player's freedom of choice as it has to funnel your progress towards some well-defined plot-point.

Alternative narrative paths leading to equally cathartic multiple endings are rare.

Developers would rather you saw everything on the first play-through than give you real value for money. Lazy reviewers may be the reason.

However, I don't mind Story introducing a game's own emergent narrative as in Left4Dead, or something as simple as Robotron 64:

Inspired by his never ending quest for progress, in 2084 man perfects the Robotrons: a robot species so advanced that man is inferior to his own creation. Guided by their infallible logic, the Robotrons conclude: The human race is inefficient, and therefore must be destroyed.

You are the last hope of mankind. Due to a genetic engineering error, you possess superhuman powers. Your mission is to stop the Robotrons, and save the last human family: Mommy, Daddy, and Mikey.

Dumb, eh? But actually this is all I need in the way of a story...

The rest of the narrative I tell to myself and it is different every time I play as it is the history of my actions and the reactions of the robots.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Whenever I bang on my "this story sucks" drum I invariably get someone asking me, "Why don't you just go watch a movie if you want to see a story so bad?" Which seems to imply that you shouldn't expect good stories from games. But if you think videogame stories have to suck, then you've been playing the wrong games. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Thief, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Max Payne, Sonic Unleashed and the aforementioned Left 4 Dead all manage to deliver both engaging gameplay and a well-written story.

SONIC. UNLEASHED!?

manwhat?

Ooooh looks like he got another one!

thufir85

May 22, 2010
Gethsemani said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Crunchy English said:
I'm having a hard time discerning what kind of story telling you actually like. Just to clarify, what methods tell a decent story in your opinion? Legend of Zelda's cutscenes at regular intervals maybe? or do you prefer the on-the-fly dialogue of say, Uncharted 2?
Either or really, my dislike comes in the form of people feeling that Portal, Half-Life and Left 4 Dead tell "TEH BEST STORAIZ EVAR!" considering they barely have characters, barely have dialogue and barely have plots. What they have is good storytelling, not good stories in and of themselves. I guess it's a "Just because a game doesn't have cutscenes doesn't mean it's brilliant" gut reaction.

Even then I suppose this was a mostly a misdirected rant at Multiplayer Storytelling.
I won't argue Half-Life or Portal (since I think Half-Life had good storytelling for its' time, with 2 being rather bad and not having played Portal). But Left 4 Dead has a totally different idea of storytelling I think. The idea is not that we are to follow the outbreak or get to see how it is handled or anything. The idea is that the players build their own Survival Horror story throughout the episodes being played.
When you play a game like Jade Empire you are supposed to say things like "And I totally did not see the plot twist coming! It was awesome!". When you play Left 4 Dead the idea is that you are supposed to say "And then he went down just as a wave spawned and we were three people with only handguns who had to protect the guy who was on the ground in the middle of the room! It was F-ING EPIC!"

In roleplaying terms (since I am a game master myself) it is the difference between White Wolfs Storytelling system and its' heavy focus on narrative and Dungeon crawling in a classical D&D session. One is all about telling an engaging story, the other is all about making a memorable experience.
That just sounds like a choose your own adventure book, I hate those. I feel there is no story in the L4D games. Thegame just likes to trick you into thinking that there is one.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Uncompetative said:
I hate Story in games.
I strongly recommend Planescapse:Torment for your symptoms.

Uncompetative said:
Too many AAA titles seem to be developed not by video game designers, but by frustrated film directors.
Oh, God yes. Hideo Kojima and David Jaffe should read this.

Uncompetative said:
A game is a system of rules supporting your interactive participation that may involve some challenge and/or discovery yielding a "reward".
Even though the concept of reward can be debated and subverted.