The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
anthony87 said:
interspark said:
anthony87 said:
I made a comment on these forums about how MMO's just go on and on, to which this was said;

"Like real-life? That's basically what an MMO is."

I had myself a little chuckle at that.
well... thats right, MMOs are SUPPOSED to go on and on
I know that, the part that caught my attention was where the guy equates an MMO to real-life.
Well, both have far too many players, and a good selection of griefers/general tools. Also a never-ending list of objectives, both have some kind of subscription model (taxes) after a trial period (childhood), and micro-transactions (buying crap). The graphics in real life are better (for now), but the HUD is awful... I can see where they're coming from!

EDIT, to make a post that's at least vaguely on topic:
Stupidest thing I've ever heard? All these cyclical, never-ending arguments that float around the internet, and fill entire threads on many forums with wrath and fire and... more wrath. The endless evolution debate, climate change, the 'hardcore' vs. 'casual' gaming thing, Halo, COD, and Valve love/hate threads, hell, even cut vs. uncut is starting to piss me off, and you rarely if ever see that argument going on.
I do have opinions on all of these (except cut vs. uncut), but, in the words of Yahtzee:
"Trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher"
[/rant]

So I'm deliberately staying away from those arguments, otherwise I end up wasting time producing lengthy, meticulously researched, well-thought out posts that no-one will read in their entirety. Like the above, only that doesn't have the meticulous research.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Quaxar said:
For the moment I'll have to go with all kinds of scientific ignorance.
I'm not referring to Skylane's anti-evolutionism btw. What I mean is people saying things completely missing logic or experiences.

el_emmens said:
It was when I was in an argument with some girl about whether hot water froze faster than cold water
Just out of curiosity... what was your point?

Skylane14 said:
1. Lack of proof: While natural selection(changes within a species) is a documented and rightly respected theory, grand evolution(such as Darwin's example of a finch turning into an eagle)has no support in actual proof as of yet. It is riddled with "what ifs" and inconsistencies, and I believe that leaves it heavily up for debate.

2. Lack of debate: Evolution could be a much stronger theory, if it were actually discussed on a real level. "Iron sharpens iron". However, whenever detractors come forth, they are simply called ridiculous louts, and have their credibility stripped.
1. But that's the beauty of science. You don't have to actually prove theories, only disprove. As long as there is no opposing evidence or simpler theory the current one stays.

2. Ever considered that these other detractors may simply be louts and that their theories just don't withstand scientific invenstigations? Just a question, I know there are some idiotic ideas out there...
1. I completely agree! However, at least around here, evolution is regarded as something untouchable, the best and only explanation. I feel that without proof, this simply cannot be the case.

2. Oh, I completely understand that some of them are just louts. However, the consensus to decry everyone who disagrees as a moron simply for saying "hey guys, something doesn't add up here" sickens me. "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Science must tread cautiously, or the abuse it suffered at the hands of religion will be dealt out by itself, making scientists no better than the Inquisition they so despised.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
savageoblivi0n said:
hmm seems i might have to go with this for my example...yes father...so sorry i have a sense of humor and try to break up tension with it...*rolls eyes*
I don't take kindly to stupidity. I never said you were stupid. You were merely breeding stupidity within others by claiming their opinions were good. And if that was honestly a bit of a humor attempt on your part, then you have a long way to go Padawan.

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
twistedmic said:
I don't remember how we got started talking about this, but one of my old co-workers once claimed that AIDS was not a disease, it was a symptom of a disease.
Another former co-worker claimed that he was a part of the Crips, Bloods and Jugalos (the three biggest gangs in America.
Well AIDS isn't a disease. It's a side effect of HIV. It's what happens once HIV basically nukes your immune system, in layman's terms.

Also, aren't Juggalos just Insane Clown Posse fans? I would hardly call them a gang...

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Drakmeire said:
when I got in a 7 minute argument with a girl who claimed Europe was a country and that Britain Spain Germany and every other area in Europe are states. way to go public school system.
You have my condolences.

OT: A while ago on here there was a thread entitled "So, Crash Bandicoot. He's a fox right?"

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
true sometimes i miss with attempts at humor...however in this case...

CJ1145" post="18.195864.6292343 said:
[quote="catalyst8" post="18.195864.6290920
.Never even heard of Italian wall lizards, and I've debated this with more well-informed men than you.]

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080421-lizard-evolution.html

Lizards Rapidly Evolve After Introduction to Island

oops....

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
savageoblivi0n said:

CJ1145 said:
catalyst8 said:
Never even heard of Italian wall lizards, and I've debated this with more well-informed men than you.][/b] [/quote[

oops....
Oops indeed. You fucked up that quote badly. As for the case here, that's what I would call micro-evolution. It's still recognizably the lizards from before, but with a new internal structure and slight physical changes that adapt it to its environment. Regardless, micro-evolution is proven, nobody's arguing that (I hope). It's the big, T-rex to chicken stuff that bugs me.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Sleekgiant said:
There was this thread were the OP basically stated anyone who didn't know what his avatar meant was stupid, it was really not the brightest thing to do.
funny *claps sarcastically*

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
rescuer86 said:
Dumbest thing I have ever heard in person? I know a college educated woman who believes that the Holocaust never happened. It is just a conspiracy created by the Jews to help them take over the world.
interesting theory, hell of a set up i must admitt. has it occured to you she may have been joking?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I don't remember the full story, but I think someone compared Halo to Star Wars: A New Hope.

Now doing so isn't stupid. But the guy said something in the ways off:

"Halo is similar to Star Wars: A New Hope, and A New Hope is a flawless masterpiece. Therefore Halo is a flawless masterpiece"

Again, we are not at the stupid part.

The stupid part is where I said "Now, I love A New Hope, but even I can admit that it is far from flawless" to which the guy replies:

"I'm just a bigger Star Wars fan than you then".

Which is retarded.

And the guy couldn't shut up about his "College degree in arts".

How the fuck does that prove that you're right?

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
CJ1145 said:
savageoblivi0n said:

CJ1145 said:
catalyst8 said:
Never even heard of Italian wall lizards, and I've debated this with more well-informed men than you.][/b] [/quote[

oops....
Oops indeed. You fucked up that quote badly. As for the case here, that's what I would call micro-evolution. It's still recognizably the lizards from before, but with a new internal structure and slight physical changes that adapt it to its environment. Regardless, micro-evolution is proven, nobody's arguing that (I hope). It's the big, T-rex to chicken stuff that bugs me.
heh yeah i did..not quite sure what happened there :/ *chalks it up to pebkac error*

ah well yeah that i can understand, just thought i'd point you to some info on them

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Subzerowings said:
"Grammar and punctuation don't matter at all"
That one kills me.
fixed that for you.

OT: (usually told to musicians) "You're a sell-out because you make money!!"

/facepalm

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
antidonkey said:
I'm going to have to go with the follow clip from youtube. Just listen and be prepared for the stupid about to pour from your speakers. The women seems to have a complete lack of knowledge about anything. I'm a bit shocked she can even talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg0pDPK56Ys
the presenter there was abnoxious, you cant blame the woman for being open-minded and she DID make some valid points there

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
A random person said:
That the Illuminati created love to control the masses. This explains why the Bible, another one of their mind control devices, has Jesus say the greatest love is laying your life down for a friend. Also, the Illuminati created the family in the stone age.

The above came from a men's rights conspiracy theorist known as Globalman.
This sounds like something that I would say to confuse 5th graders....

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Neikun said:
In my grade nine English class we were analyzing a short story about an alien sniper who had to shoot humans from his tower. A classmate suggested that the story took place on Earth, when I asked him why he felt that was he said it was because this planet had gravity.
I told him that all planets and even the moon has gravity to which he and the teacher both told me I was incorrect. I almost walked out of that classroom.
i want to find your teacher and laugh at him/her

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Ham_authority95 said:
A random person said:
That the Illuminati created love to control the masses. This explains why the Bible, another one of their mind control devices, has Jesus say the greatest love is laying your life down for a friend. Also, the Illuminati created the family in the stone age.

The above came from a men's rights conspiracy theorist known as Globalman.
This sounds like something that I would say to confuse 5th graders....
Try sane people.

Also, look up The Spearhead or Globalman (with the former check the comments). Believe me, that guy has a goddamn goldmine of unintentional comedy gold (so is The Spearhead itself), including a constant claim of "strawmen recapture" to free yourself from paying taxes or child support (to elaborate from what my sane mind could grasp, it's basically copyrighting yourself. I'm as confused as you are).

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
i just remembered something from the good ole pokemon red and blue days (you probably wont "get" this if you havet played those games) i was watching someone walk through the safari zone heading for the "secret house" at the end, i wondered why he was walking and asked why he didnt ride his bike to which he repiled "cos then ill run out of time quicker" then he made that annoying "duuuh" noise, somehow only highlighting what a brain-dead plonker he was

(in the safari zone you have a limited number of steps before youre kicked out, so obviously, riding a bike WOULD result in less time but only because youre moving faster, if he couldnt make that connection i almost wonder how his brain functions at all)

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Skylane14 said:
Jedamethis said:
Skylane14 said:
The Theory of Evolution.

Yeah, go ahead, laugh. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands :p
If you don't mind my asking, why is it the stupidest thing you've ever heard?
Well, because it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from, when it is actually laughably flimsy. I'm a very "prove it" sort of guy, and so far I haven't seen any proof that evolution is even possible. Natural selection, yes. Evolution? No.

I guess I should reform my statement a bit: The theory, as presented by Charles Darwin, while somewhat ridiculous, has merit, as a theory and a theory alone. The way it is presented, at least around here, as the Holy Grail of Science makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. That slavish devotion to a theory that hasn't even been proven as of yet tops every stupid thing I've ever heard from a religious fanatic, if only because religion, in and of itself, attracts fanaticism and fervor. It is built on the principle of believing the unbelievable. Science is supposed to be above that, but that sadly ceased being the case some time ago.
what are you talking about?!? you can see evolution with your own two eyes! you can see as fossils slowly change shape as you go on to younger fossils in sinc with the transformation of the earth! its there! its solid fact! anything else is just wishful thinking (aka - religion)