The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
One friend of mine didn't know that Beethoven's Ode to Joy was in a real language. She thought it was just gibberish.

After telling her it was in German, another friend said "Why? wasn't Beethoven from England?"

Honestly, what is wrong with the world?

bitCrusher

Jul 3, 2011
was telling my mom I was visiting a friend and she was objecting to it. I said "this is his only day off from work" and she said "oh, he has a job and you don't? I don't think his family is gonna like you."

was just like 0.0 and walked away from her.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
We were having a Buddhism and Hinduism test. One of the questions aked you to explain between the Hindu view of reincarnation with the Buddhist view.
"What's reincarnation?" one girl asked, and about half the class chimed in with her.
The teacher asked if he should tell them, and we all agreed that he shouldn't. I'm still grateful that nobody blurted it out.

Oh, and if we're talking about things people say in general, then I'll nominate most things that people who don't know much about computers say on that subject. Especially anything where an appropriate answer is:
"You say the computer isn't working properly. You say that it's not your fault; it's the computer that's not working the way it should. You know very little about computers. In fact, you know almost nothing about computers. And still, you say that you didn't do anything wrong with the computer. Look, just accept that a beginner is bound to make mistakes and screw up from time to time, okay?"

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
That people like George Bush and The Queen are space alien lizards wearing masks to deceive humanity, and they have been the secret rulers of our world for thousands of years. Pretty coincidental how these space reptile hybrids managed to predict who would become rulers of countries hundreds if not thousands of years in advance, and managed to avoid the basic problem that once you go back enough generations we (or all people originating from a similar region) would all have to have a space reptile ancestor.

THIS GUY HAS FOLLOWERS, PEOPLE.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Danglybits said:
"Don't use tampons because they'll break your virginity and you won't be able to have babies."
Buh...guh...

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

[/mental cave-in]

OT: Anthing the WBC sa...no...someone else said that first.

...I'm gonna go not think for a while.

~TOM<3

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
I remember one of the friends of my sister said: "I like Jak and Daxter more than [Legend of Mana], because it's anime."

What... the crap?

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
My dad once accused me of being bulimic.

For reference, at the time he made this claim, I was super fucking sick; so he was correct in the claim that I was constantly throwing up, at least.

He has since denied he ever said such a thing.

MetaMuffin

Feb 2, 2011
catalyst8 said:
Skylane14 said:
Jedamethis said:
Skylane14 said:
The Theory of Evolution.

Yeah, go ahead, laugh. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands :p
If you don't mind my asking, why is it the stupidest thing you've ever heard?
Well, because it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from, when it is actually laughably flimsy. I'm a very "prove it" sort of guy, and so far I haven't seen any proof that evolution is even possible. Natural selection, yes. Evolution? No.

I guess I should reform my statement a bit: The theory, as presented by Charles Darwin, while somewhat ridiculous, has merit, as a theory and a theory alone. The way it is presented, at least around here, as the Holy Grail of Science makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. That slavish devotion to a theory that hasn't even been proven as of yet tops every stupid thing I've ever heard from a religious fanatic, if only because religion, in and of itself, attracts fanaticism and fervor. It is built on the principle of believing the unbelievable. Science is supposed to be above that, but that sadly ceased being the case some time ago.
"it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from" The Theory of Evolution doesn't address where life came from, it addresses the diversity of existing life. To misunderstand that is to demonstrate an utter ignorance of both the theory & of basic biology itself. 'Abiogenesis' is the name given to the hypothesis presented by Dr. Szostak (Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School & Distinguished Investigator in the Department of Molecular Biology at the Massachusetts General Hospital), who has successfully demonstrated a process where self-catalysing enzymes create replicating hydrocarbon polymer vesicles undergoing mutation.

"[...] has merit, as a theory and a theory alone." this demonstrates what can only be considered a tragic ignorance of the simplest scientific terminology. In a scientific context a 'theory' is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In common use the word 'theory' actually refers to a hypothesis, a supposition made on the basis of limited evidence. Other theories are the Theory of Gravity, of Electro Magnetism, Copernican Theory (sun at the centre of the solar system), Atomic Theory, Germ Theory, Genetic Theory, Kinetic Theory, etc.

Evolution is documented in existing species from Italian wall lizards in Pod Mrcaru over the last few decades, the mosquito during the Blitz, to the peppered moth in England during the Industrial Revolution, & to numerous bacterial strains (e.g. Sphingomonas) around the world. Then there are transitional fossils like Proterogyrinus, as well as a wealth of genetic corroboration such as human Ch2 corresponding (even down to the join/splice) to Chs12 & 13 in chimps.
There is no peer-reviewed paper which contradicts Evolution.

The above-quoted text demonstrating ignorance of utterly basic science is my candidate for stupidest thing I've read or heard this week, possibly this month.
This made my morning. Thank you.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
"Damn Communists need to keep their cats on a leash!" My grandfather said this as he drove up the road, almost hitting a cat.

I had no idea that the Cold War was all over the need for the Communists to put leashes on their cats.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
-sigh-

... my mother honestly believes scientists are covering up the exsistance of magic. >.>

She thinks they have proof and just dont want us to know. She also claims Richard Dawkins was shown proof of reincarnation on TV once.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
M-theory: A theory based off a theory. Regardless if years from now its proven right its foundation is still baseless.

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
A man went into GAME and went up to the counter and told an employee that his 360 was broken because he had given it a hard kick and he was wondering why Microsoft haven't fixed this problem yet.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
Last year, at the end of high school, I had short discussion with a friend about movies.

Me: "Alright. The summer holiday is right around the corner and what better way to open it then to have a movie marathon!"

Friend: "Hehe. Wish I could join. What movie-marathin will it be?"

Me: " LotR-marathon. Borrowed the DVD-collection from a friend. Haven´t seen any of them. I just hope they are overrated :)"

- Suddenly, the class-douche suddenly joined the discussion. -

Douche: "You haven´t seen any of the LotR-movies ? What the hell is wrong with you?"

Me "There is nothing wrong with me, you idiot!"

People who blame you for not having seen a certain movie are idiots (moral of the story)

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
I've heard some REALLY stupid shit in my life, but this takes the cake:

"Opium isn't a drug." - some idiot

No context needed.

Jan 27, 2011
Pretty much anything a republican has ever said, specifically Santorum. I don't know how you US guys deal with it. I mean, Santorum is still considered a VIABLE CANDIDATE. How? Why? Who's supporting that lunatic?!

Blind Sight said:
You think that's bad, you should see how the Canadian federal system is designed, it's just if not more broken then America's.
The thing is, we didn't NEED a better system until recently because we had half-decent people most of the time.

But now that Harper is !@#$ing our country up, we're REALLY starting to see the flaws. Especially the lack of a way to impeach the PM. I really think the system needs fixing.

I honestly don't know if Canada can survive another 3 years under this nutcase. If Quebec wants to separate on ideological grounds instead of language grounds, I think I might be VEEEERRY tempted to go for it.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
"...well, objectively it's a great game..."
Or any permutation of.