The TF2 Guard Dog Update: All Bark, No Bite

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
xitel said:
You know, I think that even if this is a joke, it's a very very well thought out one. Plus it's an adorable class.

And you have to remember, Jarate started as a joke as well, and now it's one of the Sniper's unlockables. So who knows, maybe later on Valve will actually add this? Or some crazy modders will do it themselves, although that's probably far less likely...
No one knows if VALVe really ment the jarate to be a joke or was it a clever sneak peak.
This is compleatly fan-made, and kinda broken too.

But VALVe are awesome, so maybe they might put it in as an object in the map. (Arena with dogs coming aftar you when the points opens anyone?)

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Caliostro said:
The update was so obviously a fake... The fonts used were wrong, there were typos, and the class itself is entirely a bad idea...

That said, it's amusing community content. But anyone paying any attention won't mistake it for the real deal.
Or...
just look at the slightly different reds on the T-shirts.

Still, I think it would need a pretty special, "Meet The" video that would make the doggie be doing this on its own will- and therefore not being subject to mindless murder by mankind's taking advantage of its naivete.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Zenode said:
Too many would yell at this citing imbalance and OMGNEZZ MY SPY IZ RUINED
uppitycracker said:
This would completely ruin the spy class. i don't care what anyone says, if you have more than 2 spies on yer team, yer doing it wrong. even having one spy visible the entire time would completely ruin it.
So, Zenode, do you play the lottery?

Personally, I think this would be a cool Engineer unlock to help deal with Spies.

Macaco

Jul 6, 2009
xitel said:
...And you have to remember, Jarate started as a joke as well, and now it's one of the Sniper's unlockables. So who knows, maybe later on Valve will actually add this? Or some crazy modders will do it themselves, although that's probably far less likely...
don't forget the easter egg in L4D advertising figurines for all "ten" team fortress classes

its a bit of a stretch, but valve has surprised us on more then a few occasions...

EDIT: in fact, valve has caught wind of the fan made class, and posted a "response letter" here [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2851]

dr_drift

Oct 23, 2008
It'd be interesting, you know, for an engineer to have something to guard his buildings, though. When I saw the dog I was immediately reminded of the Command & Conquer dogs that kill spies. Even if it were a passive defense, though, it'd totally screw with the balance. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is WHERE'S MY ENGINEER UPDATE?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:
This would completely ruin the spy class. i don't care what anyone says, if you have more than 2 spies on yer team, yer doing it wrong. even having one spy visible the entire time would completely ruin it.

Personally, I think this would be a cool Engineer unlock to help deal with Spies.
i'm pretty sure i wasn't yelling like some tard, and presenting an intelligent point here. and i'm sorry, but it would be an extremely overpowered unlock to deal with spies, despite how "cool" it might be.

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
I think it'll be a genius addition. Though gibbing a dog would certainly cause some irks. Maybe have it as something that a server can toggle on and off? (nocrits, party, increasedplayers, dogs)

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

i'm pretty sure i wasn't yelling like some tard, and presenting an intelligent point here. and i'm sorry, but it would be an extremely overpowered unlock to deal with spies, despite how "cool" it might be.
I was just pointing out how people are complaining about this even though it's not real.

As far as the overpoweredness goes, it could have a limited range to act as a deterent to destroying sentries as opposed to a fully functional weapon. Having something to prevent Spies from waltzing in and destroying sentries would be a nice option. You could even take away the ability to build something to balance it out.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
randommaster said:
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

I was just pointing out how people are complaining about this even though it's not real.

As far as the overpoweredness goes, it could have a limited range to act as a deterent to destroying sentries as opposed to a fully functional weapon. Having something to prevent Spies from waltzing in and destroying sentries would be a nice option. You could even take away the ability to build something to balance it out.
i see what yer saying. my thoughts on that are, we all thought jarate was just an april fools joke. and look what happened. the blog post really does suggest that they're considering this, although I'll admit it's still pretty up in the air right now.

the reason why i really disagree with the idea for an engi in general is, i spend a good deal of my time playing spy sneaking behind engineers, and hitting them at that opportune time. it would really, REALLY make it impossible for me to do just about anything to said engineer. and there really isn't much you could take away from the engi except a sentry, IMO, to balance it out. that would be like a spy unlock that can take away an engineers ability to use his wrench, or a pyros ability to use his flamethrower. stealth is the main tool a spy has in his arsenal, and removing that in any aspect is basically taking away all functionality of that class.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

i see what yer saying. my thoughts on that are, we all thought jarate was just an april fools joke. and look what happened. the blog post really does suggest that they're considering this, although I'll admit it's still pretty up in the air right now.

the reason why i really disagree with the idea for an engi in general is, i spend a good deal of my time playing spy sneaking behind engineers, and hitting them at that opportune time. it would really, REALLY make it impossible for me to do just about anything to said engineer. and there really isn't much you could take away from the engi except a sentry, IMO, to balance it out. that would be like a spy unlock that can take away an engineers ability to use his wrench, or a pyros ability to use his flamethrower. stealth is the main tool a spy has in his arsenal, and removing that in any aspect is basically taking away all functionality of that class.
It wouldn't have to completely stop spies, just be able to give them a little security. If the dog was able to detect enemies at a certain distance then the spy would have to piss off PETA and shoot the dog to prevent it from alerting the engi. You could also make it so that getting rid of the dog does not raise an alert like a sentry does. Additionally, if the dog could attack, it wouldn't only attack spies, so distracting the dog and getting rid of it with another class to let the spy do its thing. You could also take away one, or even both ranged weapons to balance out the sentry upgrade.

It would be based on the same principle as the Razorback for the sniper: something that addresses one of the classes weaknesses, but creates other strategies for dealing with them. If you fall for the Razorback then you alter your play style, but a fundamental unbalancing hasn't been created. I'm quite positive that the dog could be implemented without crippling the spy.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
This right here made me lol.
Looks like a lot of fun but it would be kinda weird watching a whole new class showing up now.
Valve's letter is awesome.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

It's meant to be a class, not an unlock.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
VZLANemesis said:
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

It's meant to be a class, not an unlock.
But it would be so much easier to put in as an unlock.

vfn4i83

Apr 11, 2008
I dont now exactly why, but TF2/Valve communities aways make me fell younger and happy again.

That idea alone is awesome.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Good attempt, but if this really was an upcoming valve update, I would never play TF2 again.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
randommaster said:
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
uppitycracker said:
randommaster said:
Zenode said:
uppitycracker said:

It wouldn't have to completely stop spies, just be able to give them a little security. If the dog was able to detect enemies at a certain distance then the spy would have to piss off PETA and shoot the dog to prevent it from alerting the engi. You could also make it so that getting rid of the dog does not raise an alert like a sentry does. Additionally, if the dog could attack, it wouldn't only attack spies, so distracting the dog and getting rid of it with another class to let the spy do its thing. You could also take away one, or even both ranged weapons to balance out the sentry upgrade.

It would be based on the same principle as the Razorback for the sniper: something that addresses one of the classes weaknesses, but creates other strategies for dealing with them. If you fall for the Razorback then you alter your play style, but a fundamental unbalancing hasn't been created. I'm quite positive that the dog could be implemented without crippling the spy.

This is true, but as I posted here on the tf2 forums, it's not gonna happen. Oh well, I'm happy.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972600

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I hope Valve does add a dog class (but only after they release all the other updates for Xbox).

dr_drift

Oct 23, 2008
Shooting dogs, though? That'd be the worst. In COD4 it was awful to shoot them, especially when they whimper. What about STALKER's dogs? The dogs in Fallout 3, too. Now, robot dogs, on the other hand, would be something totally different, something mechanical. Anyway, it seems super far fetched, but there are tons of other possibilities. They could have an item that symbolically does something a dog does.... I don't know, "sniff" out spies.

Or they could give each class a helicopter to fly around in and make the only mode touch football.