The TF2 Guard Dog Update: All Bark, No Bite

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Man, I'm impressed with this guys work, very creative and just plain cool. It would need Valve balancing, but the fella has undeniable talent. :D

Only thing that could piss off PETA more would be exploding dolphins.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Cheesezorz said:
I'm pretty sure this wouldn't happen, no matter how great idea it is.

PETA would go nuts.
They can go nuts all they want, they don't set gaming policy. Unless you want them to.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant...

... *Cough* Sorry. The furry is done, now for the fan.

This is a very cool idea, actually. It would add a new element to the game of playing complete, and absolute support. Not to mention the Scout not being the only one who can Scoot Aboot.

Admittedly, it will have to go through some seriously huge balance issues. People would get pissed if there was something running around with the speed of a Scout, that had a Tier 2 Sentry on its back. I mean, seriously. You see that thing coming, even a Heavy/Medic combo would run the other way. Maybe if they reduced it to the equivalent of a Tier 1 Sentry on its back or something, with a secondary weapon increasing Rate of Fire, but reducing hit power. Not to mention being able to melee with your teeth (seriously awesome. <3).

I would absolutely love to see this become a reality. Not only that, but Valve might be impressed with how many purchases they'll get if it does! There will be a very...very happy furry community, and a lot more buys out of them. I only bought it 'cause a friend had it and wanted me to play. I'm not too thrilled with it, but this pseudo-update of sorts would make me become just as addicted as the rest.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
there always people making fake updates. this one was one of the less believable ones because it was too absurd but still extremely awesome. I love how valve always makes witty responses to community.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
uppitycracker said:
and ya, i know this STARTED as a joke. but the fact that valve responded like they did, really worries me..... should this update be pushed, i'll be getting me a server and setting class restriction to zero on that one.
Then you get to play all alone for the rest of your life.

Sounds like a fun multiplayer experience.

Sep 13, 2009
Fan reaction on the Steam forum has been similarly positive
Actually I myself don't like this idea, and I'm glad to find out that it's fake.
Although I like the screenies and all the stuff that made me think it's real.
Anyway we could use some maps that aren't already in the game.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
theultimateend said:
uppitycracker said:
and ya, i know this STARTED as a joke. but the fact that valve responded like they did, really worries me..... should this update be pushed, i'll be getting me a server and setting class restriction to zero on that one.

oh, if only that were remotely true. i've already received a response from robin, however, that it's not gonna be added in game. even if it were, though, there are enough people that feel the same way i do that would keep my server good and populated, were it to ever happen. and ya, it would be a fun multiplayer experience, having a full server all the time

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
uppitycracker said:
theultimateend said:
uppitycracker said:

oh, if only that were remotely true. i've already received a response from robin, however, that it's not gonna be added in game. even if it were, though, there are enough people that feel the same way i do that would keep my server good and populated, were it to ever happen. and ya, it would be a fun multiplayer experience, having a full server all the time
Yes yes I know your opinion is infallible.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Oh wook it's a doggie mash up 'is widdle face and call him Chips!

But seriously, I do hope Valve keeps this in mind if they ever create a new multiplayer game. The idea of a playable team pet is intriguing, at least in theory, and at least not shoehorned into a game that took nine years to balance properly already.

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
I love Valve. Their reply to this fake update was absolutely frickin' awesome.

(ticked) YOUR APPLICATION IS PENDING.
(unticked) I'M COMING FOR YOU, YOU SON OF A *****.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Lukeje said:
That letter is awesome; "Sincerely Up Yours Saxton Hale".

Edit: and now there are hats [http://guarddog.50webs.com/update_02.html]! I want a Jaws costume for my dog now...
He's good. I mean really good.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Didn't we already touch on this...

I don't want to explain why the class idea isn't a bad one at first glance the implied implication as planned (umm, yeah....) would unbalance the game further. Effectively reducing the gaming ability of half the classes either by rendering them even less effective over all or replacing them outright. In a game designed so each individual character is near hopeless outside of one or at most two niches this class will be overpowered simply because it fills such a wide role.

Not that the idea is bad, if introduced properly it, and a few other classes, could very well become a nasty addition to the game. Maybe focusing the dog so it is a flanking-melee style game play instead of quick-general roll it is made into now. That has yet to be covered solely, and effectively, by any single class so is a niche waiting to be filled. Reduce how useful this class is till it is on average with how useless every other class is unless properly utilised and I have no problem with it.

TF2 was, after all, one of the few games where everyone is equally as useless as each other... it is sort of the charm of it.

Personally: I think valve should work on a off shoot of Team Fortress. Expanding the game in newer directions then what has been seen so far, but keeping the cartoon and irrational nature of said game.

I think TF2 with vehicles that follow the same 'useless outside of a niche' system, for example, would kick arse. Imagine the wacky types 'top heavy' style of vehicles you could design and put them into a cartoon like world... it just fits! From Sidecar mounted bike that that a single shot seems to flip Indiana Jones style right through to tanks that look like a brick of steel on four wheels with a 16th century cannon which are just as useful as a brick of steel with a 16th century smooth bore taped to the top... yeah, potential?

It could also be a good time to expand on the classes, cause vehicles open up at last half a dozen potential new classes alone. Such as the mech-head for repairing and upgrade vehicles to make them even more top heavy you have to wonder if it is a good idea, the crewman cause someone has to know how to put a round into that ridiculously oversized turret, the speed freak just so we can teach the kiddies that meth and driving is not smart, and more non-vehicular classes like... the dog.