The TF2 Spy & Sniper Update, your thoughts

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Syphonz said:
So when you "Find" these weapons... Do you get to keep them for good?
You don't "find" them, you pretty much get them randomly. You could join a server and get a new spy weapon instantly, or you could play for 5 hours and get nothing (that's me). And you do keep them for good, although I've heard some people say that they lost theirs after getting it, but I think that's an issue with steam connecting to your account.

I don't like it at all. I'll probably warm up to it once they fix the apparently broken code that made unlockables very hard to get for some people, but it also ruined the fun of the update. Earning unlockables aren't tied to what class you're on now, so you can be any class and earn them. There wasn't teams filled with spies and snipers running all over the place like in the previous update. (And if you're a "I HATE NUB TEAMS WITH ONLY SPIES, TF2 R SRS" player, go play something else for a while. Your precious game will be back to normal in about a week).

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
oliveira8 said:
I stopped playing shortly after the Scout update which broke the game into a thousand tiny pieces then shat on them from the empire state building.They also had rancid meat the day before explaining the stench. In more recent light this looks interesting and probably worth the re-install which I am doing right now. The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do.

Here.

That kinda says that the game got so bad that its almost unplayable and no matter how much updates it gets, it will stay the same broken crappy game.
That kinda says that the game got so bad that its almost unplayable

Imagine that. That's what I pretty much said there. Not broken beyond repair. You see the scout ball had broken the way of the game. It rendered the Soldier, Heavy, Pyro, and Medic all almost useless against scouts.

and no matter how much updates it gets, it will stay the same broken crappy game.
Your reading from another post. At no time did I say that or imply that.
pssst, Mr. almost no scout uses the Sandman since they nerfed it. So..think again.

Oh...and that says Broken behind repair. And yes you did say "and no matter how much updates it gets, it will stay the same broken crappy game."

with " The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do."

Theres no hope for the game aparently. And its all cause of the Scout...one of the least played classes and a very small number of scouts uses the Sandman.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
sgtshock said:
There wasn't teams filled with spies and snipers running all over the place like in the previous update.
There was. There continued to be even after most people figured out that you couldn't get the unlocks that way. Of course, most of these people were lucky enough to get a new Sniper item or Spy item and hence wanted to try it out.

I mean the only reason i'm still playing right now is because I somehow was lucky enough to get the Cloak & Dagger watch and it is awesome.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I got almost all the unlockables last night in a few hours..... except the ones I want, which are the Sniper updates. That's cool though I thought it was hilarious when i got the Ambassador after a total of five minutes playing whilst others complained and bitched about it not being fair.

I think some people are just being crybabies. So you want these new shiny weapons, and the way to get these weapons is to play the game, a game you obviously like. And the only reason you want the weapons is so you can play the game, WHICH YOU OBVIOUSLY LIKE! Fucking boo-hoo, stop being a bunch of brats and acting like those World of Warcrack pussies that whine when their item didn't drop.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
I don't like it.

Before you had to actually work to get the items. It caused you to become with familiar with the class. That way when you finally got items you where skilled as the class. You might not just ditch the old items for the new ones because you spent time using them.

Now you just get them randomly, for doing absolutely nothing. It leads to players who have no idea how to play the class running around with weapons like the Ambassador. It leads to players never even trying the old weapons because they have access to the new ones without even playing the class. So the old weapons become obsolete among the new players. Plus the fact that the system is completley random bothers me. If I did good enough as the Spy, eventually I would get the Cloak and Dagger watch. Now no matter what I do it is completley random if I get it or not. I could end up never getting it.

So Valve, if your going to make unlocking the weapons involve no skill whatsoever, fine. It gives more freedom (in theory) to the new players. But don't make them unlocked at random. Just have them unlocked right away. If you've thrown skill out the window then there is no reason not to do so.

Also this hasn't done anything to stop players from spamming the updated class. I have seen tons of Snipers. Way to many Snipers. In fact, none of them had any of the unlocks. They all had standard Sniper gear. People are still going to spam the updated class no matter what system Valve uses.

Exactly my thoughts. 10 fucking hours and zero weapons, not even ones I already have.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
oliveira8 said:
pssst, Mr. almost no scout uses the Sandman since they nerfed it. So..think again.

Oh...and that says Broken behind repair. And yes you did say "and no matter how much updates it gets, it will stay the same broken crappy game."

with " The game was already broken before this update so I can't see how much more damage it can do."

Theres no hope for the game aparently. And its all cause of the Scout...one of the least played classes and a very small number of scouts uses the Sandman.

Obviously you have lost the entire conversation. I have been talk about the scout update. Not the new one. I was not aware they nerfed it because I no longer played after that until now. They dont exactlt publish billbords with this crap on it. I have many other games I play and at that time there was no point in playing that game. You really need to read word for word of the entire convo.

And now you just contradicted yourself. Seriously. Read up before you try again.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
BillyWentBoom said:
oliveira8 said:

Obviously you have lost the entire conversation. I have been talk about the scout update. Not the new one. I was not aware they nerfed it because I no longer played after that until now. They dont exactlt publish billbords with this crap on it. I have many other games I play and at that time there was no point in playing that game. You really need to read word for word of the entire convo.

And now you just contradicted yourself. Seriously. Read up before you try again.
So before you come here and say that the Scout update broke the game in thousand pieces and then shat out of the Empire State building, bother to look up the 4-5 updates that came after it.

BillyWentBoom

Apr 26, 2009
oliveira8 said:
[

So before you come here and say that the Scout update broke the game in thousand pieces and then shat out of the Empire State building, bother to look up the 4-5 updates that came after it.
That doesn't make any difference. I was taking about the previous update. It has no relevance to what your talking about. There have only been two Announced major updates. Not 4-5. Anyways this convo has become off topic. It's not a battle ground and it's going nowhere.

Rambotnik

May 21, 2009
stormcaller said:
Obviously this is to counteract achievement servers.
Right. Except now you can 1-up achievement servers. Have a server filled with 32 spectators, and have everyone go about their lives normally for a few days. When they come back they're bound to have the weapons. Well done valve.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The unlock system is balls. That's the only viable description I can think of that describes it accurately.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Drop system a load of balls and reading their justification I'm not looking forward to the future of it as now going to have people wanting if will trade your new hat for something sandwiches. That and soon as all have weapons drops just a waste of time and just an annoyance having to clear item menu up. Only thing can fault them for as unlocks interesting but situational like rest.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Anyway! Theres a new entry on Tf2 blog..and folks...this system is here to stay...

Is this the way we'll find items from now on?

* Like everything else we build, we'll be iterating on this system for a while, and have a lot of features planned. Some of the next things we have planned are:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

- Giving players a method to influence the system so they can work directly toward getting specific items.

- Adding more rare items like the hats.

We're going to be working on and rolling these out while we're also working on the next class pack, with the goal being to get it all released before then.

Read the rest at!

http://www.teamfortress.com/

red ant

May 18, 2009
They are adding an item trading system in the future yay!!

Rare hat drops huzzah!!

I kinda wished the sniper had a bear trap instead of the razorback that would be super... a bear trap damages a unit 80 points and slows them to 50% of speed for 8 seconds that would be a quick kill right there.

Also soldier could get something like body armor which will slow them down 25% and decrease damage from bullets 50%.

Influence the system do we vote for the order of new items appearing or something?

TF2 Zombie mod? zombies are all the rage even Popcap is doing it.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Someone has probably posted this but it is not worth looking through 3 pages.
http://www.teamfortress.com/

edit: oh and the guy was right above me, oh well.

MrLS

May 17, 2009
I did the leave pc on over the night.
When i woke up i gotten:
KGB, Sandvich , Natascha, Sandvich, Bonk!, Bonk!, Sandvich

Then i got Jarate this morning, Woot! actually something new!

I am Spy

Dec 14, 2008
I played for 14 hours, got a single Flare gun. Left the PC on over night, got the Cloak and Dagger, 2 Flare guns, 2 KGB and 4 Ubersaws. Playing today I got another 2 ubersaws, another flare gun, a blutsauger and 2 Cloak and Daggers. Lolwut this method makes no sense.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
I got 3 Natasha's in a row, over 3-4 hours play (not once as a heavy).

Here's the bummer...

I already had it pre-update. :(

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Even when I do get the items by luck, I am still going to be doing the amount of achievements to unlock them. I haven't given up on Hot Potato and definetly not Attention Getter yet.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I like Valve... just not the update. I am upset that they gave the sniper crosshairs. Also the not being able to get weapons by doing achievements upsets me.