The Treadmill

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
The worst part about Destiny is that's a mediocre WoW clone that doesn't have the mediocre WoW gameplay (just mediocre FPS gameplay) so it can't crash and burn to teach the company who made it a lesson that high-budget WoW clones are terrible ideas. This should have gone the way of TESO or TOR.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Norithics said:
Weird. I kinda miss Global Agenda now. But not enough to re-install. :T

Well I can help you relive the experience! Buggy as hell, no updates, and a constant grind of dailies, dungeons, and arenas after like level 27. That close enough?

St. Aidan

Nov 23, 2011
I am loving the fact that this was hyped like the second coming of chirst for video games, and it's turned out to be this big meh coloured meh. I'm so smug it's like I'm driving a prius over here.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
ToastiestZombie said:
The worst part about Destiny is that's a mediocre WoW clone that doesn't have the mediocre WoW gameplay (just mediocre FPS gameplay) so it can't crash and burn to teach the company who made it a lesson that high-budget WoW clones are terrible ideas. This should have gone the way of TESO or TOR.
What I think is the saddest part is that this, TESO, TOR, and many of those other WoW clones could have been perfectly good games in their own right if they had been designed around being a single player experience instead of falling into this obsession with trying to turn anything and everything into MMOs and thus force MMO mechanics and pacing into the game didn't get in the way. In particular, TOR and STO could have been AMAZING, possibly the best games to ever come out for each IP if they didn't try to make them MMOs.

St. Aidan said:
I am loving the fact that this was hyped like the second coming of chirst for video games, and it's turned out to be this big meh coloured meh. I'm so smug it's like I'm driving a prius over here.
Do you love the smell of your own farts too?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Strife2k7 said:
A galling lack of content for a $70 dollar game? Let's see....6-7 hour story mode and 10 multiplayer maps <11 if you're on PS4>? Sounds like...you know.....every Call of Duty or Battlefield game released in the past 5 years? I suppose all those are shite too.
Can't speak for Battlefield, but Call of Duty used to give you a really fun, if a bit short, campaign to play through. So for that 6-7 hours, it was a blast....and I'd still rather play 6-7 hours of awesome rather then 20 hours of "It's okay".

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Destiny's actually the first game for quite a while that's been able to stifle my raging League addiction for over a week. I mean, I can see all the criticisms people are levelling, and they're not wrong. But at the same time, it seems Destiny can't really win. People call it out on all the stupid MMO tropes which would be given a pass if it was a traditional MMO, because it's an action shooter. Simultaneously, people call it short, even though if it was an action shooter it would be a long one, because now it's not a long shooter, it's a short MMO.

As I said, I see the shortcomings clearly, but it's worth remembering that Jim gave it 3/5 stars and still admitted he would likely come back for more. That's the key for me, I only get a couple of hours a day to game and when they come, I'm always eager to come back for more. And not because I'm grinding for loot, because I'm having fun.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
$70?! what to fuck? why does it cost more than the other games?

Well glad i jump off the hype train when they started showing real gameplay. Save me some money best spent on Stronghold: Crusader 2 :p
Destiny costs $70 because the developer/publisher wants more money. Duh. On a more serious note if I had to hazard a guess about the price tag it's there to recoup some of the games ridiculous advertising budget.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Gonna be honest... I never really understood where the hype for this game came from. No, this isn't me being a smug jackass (we've got enough of those), I legitimately didn't really get it. I tried, but no matter how many trailers I saw, I didn't see much to get too excited about except for the fact that it was made by Bungie. So now with all this news coming out about how the game is merely decent, my inner response is a simple "Yeah, so?"

Edit*
In other news, so an uncharacteristic post of apathy is my 420th one, eh? I'd make a joke, but I think I'd rather just eat a bag of chips and go to sleep....

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
sumanoskae said:
Not to toot my own horn but... wait, I said that wrong. To toot my own horn, I saw this coming from day 1; I am flabbergasted that so many people bought into Bungie and Microsoft's bullshit.

What, precisely, about Destiny's eight-million fucking trailers ever suggested it was anything more than a soulless, design by committee checklist of popular MMO and FPS (The two most saturated genres in the modern gaming industry) elements?
Actually it's Bungie and Activision, not Microsoft. If it was Microsoft then Destiny would have been Xbone exclusive and I wouldn't be enjoying the hell out of it right now.

OT: I honestly don't care what everyone else keeps saying about the game. I like it, I'm having fun playing it (especially with my friends) I don't think it's bad, it's not the best game I've ever played but it's still a good time and I look forward to whatever Bungie's plans are for this game in the future.

Twilix01

Sep 19, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
ToastiestZombie said:
What I think is the saddest part is that this, TESO, TOR, and many of those other WoW clones could have been perfectly good games in their own right if they had been designed around being a single player experience instead of falling into this obsession with trying to turn anything and everything into MMOs and thus force MMO mechanics and pacing into the game didn't get in the way. In particular, TOR and STO could have been AMAZING, possibly the best games to ever come out for each IP if they didn't try to make them MMOs.
I can't speak for TOR, but I'm VERY certain that TESO is nowhere near a WoW clone. Do they both have the same type of world? Yes. Are they both MMOs? Also yes. Do they both have a subscription? Yet again, yes. Do they have the same type of combat system? Of course not. ESO forces you to take a more active role in combat but actually looking at what you're targeting, instead of relying on using tab to lock on. Also, if you miss, it's your fault or a player managed to roll out of the way, not RNG deciding that for you. Also, based on my experience with Everquest 2 years ago (which, from my admittedly little experience with WoW, seems far more similar to WoW and thus until told specific differences, I'll use to base thoughts on WoW over it), the world seems much more alive than your standard MMO. You can ask questions, talk to random non-quest-giving NPCs, and even notice that NPCs you can't enter dialogue with have names of their own very often.

TL;DR: TESO is not a WoW clone, please don't call it that.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm annoyed by Destiny's advertising, that they don't come out and admit that it's an MMORPG, making it look like a a HALO-ish FPS that just so happens to have multiplayer. Well, I didn't watch any demos of it from E3, which would have helped big time.

insertclevername1

Sep 19, 2014
i really liked destiny but i can see why people would't like it
thing is that was it as good as the hyped said no is it good yes

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
It probably helps that I purposefully ignored and avoided the hype, but I'm quite enjoying Destiny so far. It definitely has its problems, I hate the Grimoire as a lore delivery thing, bosses tend to have far too many hitpoints and Legendary drops are indeed very random in who they choose to appear for (I've gotten two so far, both from doing Crucible stuff and one of which my character could actually use). For me at least these problems don't ruin the game though.

I do find the shooting very fun, the enemies could be more varied in each faction but each faction is enjoyable to shoot (cabal are probably my favorite just because of how satisfying it is to topple them). The supers are all extremely fun to use especially in multiplayer, which is itself a blast to play. So yeah I've been playing with a couple of friends and its a blast so far, does it live up to the absurd hype it made for itself? No of course not, nothing could, but its a fun game in its own right and I don't feel like my money was wasted.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I rather like it; I've spent more hours than I should have playing in fireteams, doing strikes and generally arsing about.

I find the people qqing about legendary drops the most hilarious though: games been out little over a week and you feel you should have an inventory full of what is supposed to be the rarest of the items? K.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
*hides in the corner enjoying his FPS MMO game.
The level of hate for the game baffles me. Just don't get it because I'm enjoying the heck out of it and can't wait for more content..

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
BX3 said:
Gonna be honest... I never really understood where the hype for this game came from. No, this isn't me being a smug jackass (we've got enough of those), I legitimately didn't really get it. I tried, but no matter how many trailers I saw, I didn't see much to get too excited about except for the fact that it was made by Bungie. So now with all this news coming out about how the game is merely decent, my inner response is a simple "Yeah, so?"
Yeah, its funny how these hype trains work. It looked like a big thing, all the media talked about it like it was a big thing, but there was seemingly very little for me to actually get excited about. I chalked it up to it the the game being a combination of Halo, Borderlands and an MMO; three of my least favourite games/genres of the past few years, but seems lots of other people felt the same way. All the E3 demos and stuff I saw just made it look like another shooter.

I'm thinking, with Titanfall, Watchdogs and now this; have there been more overhyped new franchises that end up getting a "meh" from the general public this year or has it always been like this?

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
How dare you say that Destiny is in anyway not perfect, the box clearly says "over 180 awards and Nominations." How can something with 180 awards be bad?

He says through the puncture in his cheek caused by his tongue.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
There's a guy at work that I think is literally the lowest common denominator that all the shitty, yet remarkably successful dross the video game and movie industry aim for. He loves the Transformers movies and the latest TMNT, gobbled up Titanfall and Diablo 3. He got this game on launch and wont stop talking about how awesome it is. It never really interested me, even as it was being hyped as The Game That Would Change Everything, it just looked like Halo reskinned,which I didn't have a problem with but...eh, I didn't care.

Anyway, I tried to convey this to him without saying that thing he liked sounded boring ("yeah, it seems kinda neat, like a successor to Halo") to which he responded like the latest recording of the devs talking about how revolutionary this thing was going to be. I wonder if he only can pay attention to the commercials for all these things and he's just and empty husk as he actually consumes the content, cause it always seems like his opinion could easily be formulated by just watching the advertising.

Conversely, he didn't even want to see Guardians of the Galaxy because it seemed too "weird" and "challenging". Has anyone ever met someone like this??? Are there really just Lowest Common Denominators just walking around in the world? And if they can make all this shit hugely successful with how many of them there are, why is this the first one I've seen???

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I find it to be an enjoyable game.... when played in the company of others, but, that's just me. Also, that whole mission where you had to destroy the sword, yeah, I totally feel that's where the game jumped the shark. No words can describe that awkward, wtf moment I was having when I heard the narration. Now that I think about it... the moon, it was a total bust for me.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I expected this to be shit when I saw YouTubers/streamers comments:
"There's only 4 planets but it still alpha so they can add more"
"There's still only 4 planets but its early beta so they can add more"
"Its getting close to release and there's still only 4 planets so... er.. I guess there will be DLC planets shortly after launch?"
"Its launch and, holy shit there are seriously only 4 fucking planets... WTF Bungie?"