The Treadmill

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
I don't really play actual MMOs, so there may be a distinction there that I'm unable to detect, but could someone enlighten me as to how Destiny qualifies as an MMO?

I picked it up, and am enjoying it well enough. But it strikes me as less as an 'MMO' and more of just a standard online cooperative shooter that hides the dynamic lobby system from you to make it feel more seamless.

After all, any given mission you run only has a handful of other players at a time, players dropping in and out similar to any other such online multi-player game. And the Tower likewise only has 20 or something players in it at a given time for your particular instance.

So if there's something that makes it 'Massively Multi-player' other than having massive amounts of players, I hope someone can point it out to me.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah, wasn't hyped at all for Destiny, and it seems I was right not to.

Besides, the only MMO drug I use is WoW.

...Speaking of which...

*snorts a powdered WoW installation disk*

Ah...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Destiny costs $70 because the developer/publisher wants more money. Duh. On a more serious note if I had to hazard a guess about the price tag it's there to recoup some of the games ridiculous advertising budget.
DTWolfwood said:
$70?! what to fuck? why does it cost more than the other games?

Well glad i jump off the hype train when they started showing real gameplay. Save me some money best spent on Stronghold: Crusader 2 :p
On a more serious note, it's probably because Grey is (at least from appearances) in Canada. A few years back it was pretty regular for AAA games to cost a bit more in Canada on launch, it leveled out with the US for a few years and now apparently since the beginning of 2014 the price hikes have started hitting again. $70 CAD currently translates to roughly $63 USD or £39.

Destiny is still $60 USD in the States.

OT: I dunno why MMOs always get compared to drugs.

I can quit anytime I want. Honest.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I read a couple pages of LegendaryEngram, and realized they were all comments I had made to the roomie, I'm not even playing the game, I'm just watching over her shoulder. She got to the final boss, and I looked up, "So, does this game actually have, like, a coherent storyline? Cause it looks like a horrible damn mess from where I'm sitting, but I do occasionally go do other things in other rooms and all..." Why in all the hells would I want the encyclopedia part if Mass Effect taken out of the game to be read when I'm not playing the game? I didn't even read the things IN MASS EFFECT! Show, don't tell, if it's not directly important to the game, don't bother including it.
I guess I could liken the compendium to Square's Play Online debacle for Final Fantasy 9, bought the strategy guide, still have to go online to find out things I BOUGHT THE GUIDE FOR?

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
As a huge fan of (mostly literary) science fiction, Destiny sent all the right signals my way. I thought it would be something in the vein of recent space opera, like The Quantum Thief, Revelation Space, Accelerando, The Expanse series or the Eclipse Phase game. I could not have been more disappointed to learn that narrative was hilariously low on its list of priorities, and that it was completely out-of-touch with recent trends in sci-fi (or maybe modern sci-fi is completely out-of-touch with the lobotomizingly stupid stories everyone is enjoying at the moment).

dblkknight

May 10, 2011
Note to self: Do not drink cola when reading Critical Miss

---Did a laughing spit take on the last frame --about cocaine smelling bad.

To Do List:
1 -Clean monitor
2 - clean keyboard

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
So Destiny is a shame then? ......... Aw ..

I heard they spent millions of dollars advertising their game with commercials and even bought the rights of an expensive song just to play with said trailers. I wished they would of focused on the game itself instead and figured out how to make it perfect.
[starts crying and runs out of room]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
blackrave said:
[starts crying and runs out of room]
There, there. I know you have been superseded by the Zone Troopers, but there will always be love for you, Wolverine.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Yes velocity 2x is amazing. I demand/suggest/politely request everyone with ps4 to drop Destiny and give velocity a try.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LenticularHomicide said:
Erin looks rather...serene for a person who's firmly tied to a hopeless addiction.
She also doesn't look like the type of person just waiting to light things on fire. I think it's part of her psychosis. She could break at any minute.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
LenticularHomicide said:
Erin looks rather...serene for a person who's firmly tied to a hopeless addiction.
She also doesn't look like the type of person just waiting to light things on fire. I think it's part of her psychosis. She could break at any minute.
Yeah Erin is basically a love child of Korra and Dan from dan vs, anyway played the Beta and thought it was pretty meh the aesthetic was pretty but the gunplay was meh, the classes weren't really different from each other and the story was half assed so yeah instead of this disappointment I'm gonna get Metro

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So once again I find myself enjoying a game that the vocal minority on the internet has declared shit for reasons I don't understand? Meh, after the Torchlight 2 fanboys telling me I should not be allowed to vote or reproduce because clearly enjoying D3 shows you are a total failure of a human being I really doubt the internet hate mob can actually come up with anything interesting. So my opinion on the snide Metacritic bombing Destiny backlash is that its shite, and not particularly interesting or original shite. So exactly how they feel about destiny ironically enough.

Also question for the hate crowd, what good shooters have come out recently that I "should" be playing instead of destiny? Cuz I got it to scratch the FPS itch and it hasn't failed at that thus far.

Also why does everyone have such a huge boner for Velocity X2? I don't hate it or anything, I'm enjoying it well enough, but people are tripping over themselves to praise it to no end and I don't really get why. The story is generic and barely there for long stretches (which I guess it gets a free pass on for being 1. downloadable and 2. a puzzle game), its not visually impressive especially in the space sections, the level design has gotten super repetitive ever since I got long form teleport, its rather easy (I suck at puzzle games, I'm still getting perfect or near perfect scores on my first try), and the "combat" such as it is feels like a compromise to try and lure in fans of more traditional top-down/side-scrolling games and really doesn't fit well with the flow of the rest of the game. 7/10 Don't regret buying, enjoyable enough, wont remember it exists in a year.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
You reviewed this game after talking to a friend who also has ties to other journalists here on the Escapist? COLLUSION! Admit to being one of the crab people or we will no longer read your comic! #gamerghazi

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Whenever I see Destiny gameplay, I think "That looks just like Borderlands! But boring..."

And it is. It does half of what Borderlands does, and not well either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
major_chaos said:
So once again I find myself enjoying a game that the vocal minority on the internet has declared shit for reasons I don't understand? Meh, after the Torchlight 2 fanboys telling me I should not be allowed to vote or reproduce because clearly enjoying D3 shows you are a total failure of a human being I really doubt the internet hate mob can actually come up with anything interesting. So my opinion on the snide Metacritic bombing Destiny backlash is that its shite, and not particularly interesting or original shite. So exactly how they feel about destiny ironically enough.

Also question for the hate crowd, what good shooters have come out recently that I "should" be playing instead of destiny? Cuz I got it to scratch the FPS itch and it hasn't failed at that thus far.
*looks at thread*

Looks mostly like people are saying it's mediocre. If that's "hate," then I think the word's lost all meaning.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I've enjoyed it so far - this coming from someone who just couldn't get into Borderlands 2. I'd go so far as to say that it is a good game, as far as production value and gameplay and whatnot go. I never really rode the hype train for Destiny, so maybe I just didn't set myself up for disappointment like I'm sure many others have. It's flawed, yes, but I don't think there are any fundamental design flaws that can't be fixed in future patches. Which I suppose begs the question of why it couldn't just be great right out of gate.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm honestly surprised people are surprised this game turned out how it did. Bungie made an art form out of over-hype and over-promise with Halo and lo and behold they try to do their own thing instead of just ripping off other peoples good ideas (which is all Halo ever was or will be / why it was ever "good") and its as vapid, cliche, dull, boring and light on depth or content as everyone should have expected.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
So Destiny is a shame then? ......... Aw ..

I heard they spent millions of dollars advertising their game with commercials and even bought the rights of an expensive song just to play with said trailers. I wished they would of focused on the game itself instead and figured out how to make it perfect.

My one brotherly friend bought the game- haven't heard from him whether he likes or dislikes the game yet.
I only have one question: Why is your avatar Zone-tan?

Also, having played Destiny, I rather enjoy it. The gameplay is solid if not groundbreaking, PvP is good with a decent variety of modes, Strikes (basically dungeons) are fun and challenging, and I rather like the class abilities. I haven't played Sentinel or Hunter, yet, so I can't say how they stack up to and differ from Warlock. Not a perfect game, but it'll probably keep me busy for a while.

To each his own, I guess.