The Treadmill

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Dying_Jester said:
I'm trying to figure this out myself. The game is shite, yes? But the argument, whether legit or people just trying to justify wasting their money, is that it's really an MMO...but how does this excuse a crappy first showing? Even MMOs need to come out swinging if they want to be able to stick around. From what I've heard Destiny is more like...like a...wow I can't even come up with a funny or good comparison. Something limp and wet, like seeing The Flintstones when you paid to see The Raid 2.
Protein paste, is what you're looking for. Dull, bland, totally unflavored, but strictly speaking it'll give you the nutrients you need to function, if what you need to function is your MMO and shooter fix, and you don't want to get it anywhere more fun.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Why do people think they're entitled to loot and items?

Pretty much a cornerstone of MMOs/Loot Games is that you have to keep constantly playing for long periods of time in order to get upgrades.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
You know what that means?

More addictive shitty games released because people have no self control. Bungie is laughing and pointing at you all.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Metadigital said:
"Destiny is shite"

"8/10"

Um. Last time I checked, 8/10 was a really good score.

I can say Destiny is certainly the frontrunner for "Biggest disappointment of the year".

I am actually enjoying the game as a mindless shooter (because as much as I love strategies or RPGs, sometimes you need something mindless for balance). But even then, there are so many better games out there.

And bland as many people think they are, Bungie was great at creating epic moments in their games. The battle with the two Scarabs in Halo 3 is still one of the most memorable moments in an FPS to me. And while Destiny seems to think of itself as epic and talks about legends and such, it never felt epic.

It can be fun in a mindless way, but there are so many poor design choices and so much of it feels empty. I can't really hate the game, but I really can't say I like it either. It's really the most middle-of-the-road game I've seen in a long, long time.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Mn, critically speaking I can see the flaws. (Though, not so much about the enemies, I find they all work well. Even if one or two are frustrating.)

But, I'm not sure the people who haven't played it don't get it. It's super fun. Even without the loot and the leveling, it's a really enjoyable shooter, and the co-op and higher difficulties that really pull a team together for shenanigans is fantastic.

And unlike other MMOish shooters, it doesn't pull that pay to win bullshit. (Looking at you Blacklight.)

communist penguin

Sep 17, 2014
I was never hyped for destiny, the trailers showed a generic shooter in mmo form, and it wasn't on PC.

But aside for all the mmo stuff, after watching my friend play a bit I was more surprised in how many opportunities where missed out on, rather than how bad it was. They set up a story in a 2 minute cut scene and then never explain anything again (kind of a big thing in like all games with a story). Despite the graphics (surprisingly good for a console), they some how made all the enemies look terrible and nearly indistinguishable.

But the one thing that got me was the moon. When my friend landed their, I was gob smacked in how amazing and atmospheric everything looked (even forgiving the massive earth). I was even about to forgive the whole game there and then until I realised a few things.

1. None of the characteristics of the moon where there, like muffled noise and low grav. These could have been amazing gameplay features.
2. 99% of game play is underground. I mean seriously, you put so much work into this awesome view then bury us.

3. I looked up. Some IDIOT put a f*cking space station just floating a few hundred metres off the ground. I know that games don't have to be particularly realistic, but SERIOUSLY! EVER HEARD OF SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF. I'd rather they put a massive dildo up their, at least that would be funny.