The Underappreciated Gems of Gaming

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Tons of good suggestions here.

I noticed alot of gamers here complain about lack of originality in games nowadays, myself included. Just recently I discovered a game that not only has original gameplay, but actually works too.

Overlord

The game is hard to categorize because it's actually something different from the usual genres. Maybe an action adventure/RTT/puzzle with RPG elements?
Anyway this game was refreshing to play.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
soulasylum85 said:
colloseum road to freedom for ps2. best gladiator game ever
Don't be silly.
That moniker belongs to Shadow of Rome.
Colosseum... is one of those games I'm trying to find again. The turn based combat took some getting used to but it was pretty sweet from what I recall.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009

Why has only ONE person said Zone of the Enders II: the second runner?

Sure the dubbing sucked but it's the best melee mecha game I've ever SEEN!

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Anyone want to bet on how long it takes Psychonauts to be mentioned?
7th post I bet.

Arcane Azmadi said:
N64
Hybrid Heaven
Dreamcast
Metropolis Street Racer
Record of Lodoss War
Shenmue & Shenmue 2

Playstation 2
Okami

PC
Tribes Vengeance
Galactic Civilizations II: The Dread Lords
X2: The Threat
Revised your list for games I own and think are awesome.

Even though Tribes 2 was better, and X3 was pretty cool...

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
God Hand, Psychonauts, Okami. Basically the games that I can be proud to say that I own.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
SNES
snip
a good portion of this list are not underaprecited, and actually are quite well-remembered.

but you missed Earthbound. Silly

Sugarfluff

Apr 17, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Christemo said:
Heroes of Might and magic 3-5. best turn-based strategy game of all time.

Titan Quest. Best RPG of all time (single player most of the time, but it has online play and a map editor).

Dawn of War: Soulstorm. Best of the DOW series, but it was not very well known and DOW2 has ruined the entire franchise.
Really? I liked Dark Crusade much more for the for the multiplayer and I liked Dawn of War 2 much more than the rest of them for the epic story driven csmpaign.
I agree, I would always opt for Dark Crusade whenever me and my friends would play LAN (do you other people say that too or is "LANing" just something we swedes say when we bring our computers to a friends place).
I haven't played the entire DOW2 campaign yet but the multiplayer sure beats the previous games, if with a bit of balancing issues.

As for a favorite neglected game Diablo 1 (I played this game far after its release so maybe I just missed the tide but it was an awesome game that next to none of my friends have played)

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Samurai Goomba said:
1. Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
2. Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
3. God Hand
4. Ghost in the Shell (PS2)
5. Gotcha Force
6. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
7. Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure
8. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
9. Urban Reign
10. Transformers (PS2 version by Melbourne House)

That's probably my top ten. Shadow of the Colossus isn't going on here because everyone either loves or hates it. God Hand, however, IS on the list because I'm not going to stop promoting it until every person on the planet plays it. It really is that awesome.
I haven't played most of those but Urban Reign and God Hand were fucking awesome.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
The entire Myst series. The entire Legacy of Kain series. (except for Defiance)

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
Piecewise said:
Dwarf FUCKING fortress.

fuck your shit
Im suprised someone mentioned this.

I found DF few weeks ago by complete accident, But sadly didnt really have the patience to learn to play it properly.

But the game is hugely complex for a text based one, and is ridiculously hard to catch on nowadays when people are used to 3d graphics.

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
Crowser said:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Its such a great game yet underrated, shame the gaming community didn't pick up on it.
You're kidding right? That's like saying Gears of War is an unknown game series.

Okami is highly underappreciated, but only because of the time it came out. If it came out a year or two earlier, it would have been a top-seller.