The walking dead is boring

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
If your looking for splattering zombie action then your in the wrong place. Like all truely good zombie stories the Walking Dead focuses on the human element. Its the break down of the human condition when faced with a world changing event that makes these tales intresting.

In otherwards its supposed to be subtle, character driven storytelling. If your bored then you clearly desire somthing more action packed. Which is fine.

To answer your question, no, i do not think Walking Dead is boring. Its one of the few shows i'll actually watch on live TV (as opposed to netflix). In short its excellent but i guess not for everyne.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Zach of Fables said:
I do agree in the sense that I find it frustrating that it takes excessively long for simple things to happen, especially in the most recent episode. But it's still a good show, and what's to come will be even better, so I'm going to keep watching.
This. By the end of this season, or possibly early next season given how shows love their cliffhangers, everyone will be talking about what a badass show this is. Right now is just setting up the buffet, so to speak. Wait until Michonne or the Governor show up.

And to everybody mentioning 28 days, I thought 28 weeks was superior. It's not the initial outbreak that interests me, its how civilization reacts to it. I like Walking Dead because I always wanted to know what happened after they got out of the mall in Dawn. Walking Dead isn't a battle- it's a test of endurance against the dead, mental as well as physical.

CAPTCHA: ftingua cyclopean? Who fed the Internet Lovecraft?

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
When some people paint a house they prefer to use broad side to side strokes. Personally, I like to use long vertical strokes with a roller.

I guess what I'm trying to say is different strokes for different folks.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
sketch_zeppelin said:
If your bored then you clearly desire somthing more action packed. Which is fine.
Maybe I'm bored because the plot and character relationships are moving nowhere. We all know Carl is going to survive, they didn't spend so much time making him an awkard third wheel around Shane and his mother to just kill him off. It happened so they could place the characters in limbo on that mysteriously pristine farm for a few episodes and drag their feet. I dislike that kind of "drama". It feels to me like they're running out of ideas, or trying too hard to update new viewers on what happened in season one. Either way, it's boring to watch.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
I'm guessing you also didn't like Breaking Bad because it was too slow? Welcome to how AMC handles television, character studies of human behavior in extreme circumstances. The Walking Dead isn't Zombieland, it's meant to be taught and tense, not fast paced.

As for that list on Cracked, they are valid arguments against why an outbreak of shamblers could never happen, true. Which is another reason why the 28 Days Later rage-virus breed became more popular. They are far more feasible, as they aren't dead actually, and have some higher brain function, but are now sprinting killing machines. Plus fluid infection with that fast of a turn around. Walking Dead is fluid infection based, but much slower turn around.

Dec 27, 2010
I agree. The first episode intrigued me, but it just got absolutely dismal as the series went on. The pacing was terrible, most episodes had literally only one or two interesting plot-points, which is ridiculous considering the over-arching plot (of the original series) could be summed up in a few lines.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
CODE-D said:
Anybody else think so, and yet so many people say its so awesome. Theres even a show called talking dead about it right after it goes off. It had an okay first season but im already tired of it and zombies as a whole.
I grew tired of zombies years ago, and this did nothing to change that. Roberk Kirkland is an awesome writer however, so I can't call it bad. It's just not for me.

That said, I found Teen Wolf as the better show this summer. I was certain it would go the Twilight route for a while, but it didn't and became a really good who-dun-it horror mystery series.

serenityzero

Dec 24, 2008
poleboy said:
I agree, it's getting boring. All the conflicts in season 2 are just variations of the ones in season 1. Even though they introduced a bunch of new characters, things revolve around the same old conflicts and love/hate relationships established in the first season. Things are moving absolutely nowhere, and it's getting stale.
They revolve around the same old conflicts? Not sure if you're aware of this, but people's relationships tend to stay the same over time. Unless you want someone to sprout a new head, you should have expected that. Things don't have to MOVE anywhere. I'm sure there will be some sort of ending at some point, but the idea of the show is not to accomplish something. There is no final boss. The point of the show is to explore what it would be like to survive--that's all it is. People trying to survive. You don't resolve people just trying to get by in a terrifying world.

Also you should probably note that the show is based on a comic. It's not like a book with a beginning, middle, and end. This is a series based on a series.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
poleboy said:
sketch_zeppelin said:
If your bored then you clearly desire somthing more action packed. Which is fine.
Maybe I'm bored because the plot and character relationships are moving nowhere. We all know Carl is going to survive, they didn't spend so much time making him an awkard third wheel around Shane and his mother to just kill him off. It happened so they could place the characters in limbo on that mysteriously pristine farm for a few episodes and drag their feet. I dislike that kind of "drama". It feels to me like they're running out of ideas, or trying too hard to update new viewers on what happened in season one. Either way, it's boring to watch.
Its only been two episoses for season 2 I don't see how you can say they're completly retreading the problems of season one based off just a couple of episodes. I'm not sure why the show is keeping Carl alive but i don't hate the idea yet. And so far i don't hate how they're going about extending the comics story. We also just we're introduced to a whole new slew of characters that will help mix things up in the episodes to come.

I will agree that if after another couple episodes they're still on the farm than i'll start to worry. But right now i'm having a great time. At least shit is happening. Zombie hoard, girl gets lost, boy gets shot, two guys trapped in a school. Its not like this is Lost where they spend a whole episode teasing the answer to a question only to find out that A) the answer wasn't really worth explaining and B) now we have 5 more questions to answer.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
You don't like zombies I take it. So the walking dead isn't for you, its cool though the theme has been overused a lot in the past couple of years. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

However those who do like zombies, recent trend or not. the walking dead is a great staple in the genre.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
serenityzero said:
They revolve around the same old conflicts? Not sure if you're aware of this, but people's relationships tend to stay the same over time. Unless you want someone to sprout a new head, you should have expected that. Things don't have to MOVE anywhere.
Really? You want them to just tread the same ground for 6 seasons, resolve no conflicts, introduce no new ones? I don't think a lot of people would want to watch that. Of course things have to move somewhere. It can happen in a lot of new ways, new characters, new conflicts, new goals. Point is, something has to happen. So far season 2 has been only about dealing with some problem that happens right now and requires immediate attention, seperated by scenes of revisiting old conflicts like the girl who wants to die (forget her name) and the drama between Rick, his wife and Shane.

serenityzero

Dec 24, 2008
poleboy said:
serenityzero said:
They revolve around the same old conflicts? Not sure if you're aware of this, but people's relationships tend to stay the same over time. Unless you want someone to sprout a new head, you should have expected that. Things don't have to MOVE anywhere.
Really? You want them to just tread the same ground for 6 seasons, resolve no conflicts, introduce no new ones? I don't think a lot of people would want to watch that. Of course things have to move somewhere. It can happen in a lot of new ways, new characters, new conflicts, new goals. Point is, something has to happen. So far season 2 has been only about dealing with some problem that happens right now and requires immediate attention, seperated by scenes of revisiting old conflicts like the girl who wants to die (forget her name) and the drama between the main character, his wife and Shane.
Don't be ridiculous--I didn't say they shouldn't introduce something new. Of course they're going to--there WILL be progression, but perhaps you've forgotten than the show picked up from where the last season left off, and has been developing for a mere TWO episodes. You expect a huge shift? If so, you are an imbecile.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
El Zorro said:
The premise of Walking Dead never appealed to me. It seemed like yet another Dawn of the Dead- styled show and from what i've seen on Youtube, it looks just like that. Maybe its just me, but the zombie genre seems too overdone with weak plotlines and downright bad and uninteresting protagonists. 28 Days Later did it right in my book, but no one else has come close to that benchmark.
Walking Dead is nothing like Dawn of the Dead. There was only about 5 gun shots in the first season and most of them caused a death, or they were only going after one zombie. If you liked 28 days later you will like TWD. The show is based upon the characters and their problems. You could easily replace the zombies with anything else and the show would be mostly the same.

May 29, 2011
I like it. It's slow paced but I'm a patient guy and the setting keeps the tension high. Although the characters are poor, definately one of the shows weak points.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
"You have no taste in entertainment your proletarian little gimp, banter, banter, banter"
Seriously though, good for you, now excuse me while I enjoy the walking dead.

Broknhead

Oct 26, 2011
Walking Dead is terrible. there is zero logic. hey guys this girls gone missing, so leave 2 guys at the road for days while we look for this little girl, even though like 100 zombies walked thru here shortly after they arrived. and then the part with the boy and that buck,seriously WHAT THE HELL. why would you let your son try to walk up to a buck? its a wild animal dude, and could kill your kid quite easily.

almost none of the characters in the show are interesting. the woman whos sister died, shes annoying and not interesting at all. shane is just a brooding spaz, its a zombie apocalypse man up. "hey rick i thought u were dead, so i was protecting your wife and kid, also me and your wife had sex" seriously how would any of them imagine he somehow lived (and 1 days after hes miraculously all better from a long coma?). ricks wife is just a stuck up *****. in all this mess all she cares about is her image to rick. "stay away from me and my son" well then *****, why dont u leave the group? the old dude in the RV, im so sick of his pathetic obsession with the blonde woman, why he acts like such a moron, being more concerned about her than any other member of the group. the black guy, still playin the race card, seriously? the rest arent even worth mentioning, and pretty much play zero role. the only interesting character is Darryl, after looking at the petty shit ricks wife, shane, blonde chick, RV guy, the rest look stupid. "Hey Darryl sorry we locked your brother to a rooftop when the zombies were coming" yet he STILL helps the group, and remains as calm as he can.

I dont know why this show gets good reviews

Broknhead

Oct 26, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
I like it. It's slow paced but I'm a patient guy and the setting keeps the tension high. Although the characters are poor, definately one of the shows weak points.
dont u think interesting characters is important to a good show? whats interesting about TWD, if the characters are in your words "poor"?

ScreamingNinja

Apr 12, 2011
CODE-D said:
serenityzero said:
The Walking Dead is attempting to make the reality of a zombie apocalypse more like what would ACTUALLY happen. People who would run around and gun everything in sight would very quickly find themselves lacking an unchewed face. Just because you can't appreciate that, or that you're tired of zombies as a whole, doesn't reflect on the show. It reflects upon you and your preferences. Also, the show that comes before or after another show is also not a reflection on that show. Awesome dude.
If it was realistic itd be like this.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

but somehow zombies that dont eat each other are plentiful even though they should be barely movable shells of of rotting humans.
They also seem to have good motor control.

I would prefer a show based on zombieland where people are making the best of it in a fun way and the characters werent so sad that I wished theyd get eaten already.
If it was realistic there wouldn't be Zombies. Let's face it, half of that stuff is bullshit and can be written off as 'OH WELL, THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ZOMBIES BECAUSE THE VIRUS MADE THAT SHIT NOT HAPPEN/WORK!'