The Wolf Among Us - Season Finale discussion! (Spoilers, of course)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Megalodon said:
Denamic said:
Bigby is a wolf. Like, just a big-ass wolf. His human form is not a glamour; he was turned into a werewolf which makes him able to assume a human form. So he's kinda a reverse werewolf? Werehuman? Anyway, werewolves are weak to silver in the stories, which in turn makes Bigby weak to silver. That he's both a werewolf and the big bad wolf probably also explains his enormous strength, though that's just guessing on my part.

Yes, but my point is, even in fairy tales human characters are susceptible to deadly things, like axes in the brain. Yet Woody didn't even need to bandage his head for more than a day. So I still find it somewhat strange that a silver bullet put Bigby down pretty much like you'd expect in any werewolf story, while an comparably deadly assault didn't even leave a mark on Woody.
It's like vampires and sunlight. They don't get more resistant to sunlight by becoming more powerful. Fables are highly resistant to conventional damage. Even the Tweedle dumbasses can take a beating and not be much worse for it in a few hours. Exceptions are when more significant damage occur, like when parts of the body are removed. They can shrug of lacerations or puncture wounds, because the damaged parts are still mostly there, just need to stitch itself together. It's a different story when the head is lopped off or vital organs are removed, unless resistance to that is a part of the fable.

Bottom line is that Fables are what the stories say they are. If the story says they explode in water, they explode in water, even if they have the power of a god.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I assumed the stuff at the end was meant to suggest that the Faith that you meet at the beginning was actually Nerissa.

I reckon that Faith was already dead at that point, either Nerissa glamoured herself as Faith to fulfill her appointment with Woody and then decided that she trusted Bigby and dumped to head OR she went to Woody's in order to draw Bigby in and start him on the right track. She's either manipulative or opportunistic or a bit of both.

The thing I wanted to have explained was how Nerissa could suddenly speak openly at the end with the Crooked man's trial.

Was it because Georgie had died and the ribbons were contingent on him? If so I'd think that would be a pretty glaring oversight on behalf of the Crooked Man.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I generally loved the episode and I love the entire series in general, but the final battle with Mary was just bad. The brawl with Gren in Ep1 was more tense and brutal than the "final battle" against a complete monster. Hell, even the very first brawl against Woody was better, with the opportunity to smash him into different pieces of furniture and using items in the environment to your advantage. By the way, this remind me: the battle took place in a metalworks factory, right? What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of that?

MOLTEN METAL! HEAVY MACHINERY! GIANT FURNACES!

None of those were used! I was totally waiting for Bigby to throw Mary into a metal vat, or burn her or crush her or just use the awesome possibilities of the environment in any shape or form, but it was just a huge letdown.

Aside of that I loved everything else about the episode, but damn, that battle was a hack-job...

K12 said:
Was it because Georgie had died and the ribbons were contingent on him? If so I'd think that would be a pretty glaring oversight on behalf of the Crooked Man.
It was stated quite clearly that Vivian was the original Girl with the Ribbon, and the other ribbons were copies of hers. When she undid her ribbon and died, it dispelled the power of the other ribbons as well. Georgy had nothing to do with it.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Megalodon said:
Denamic said:
Bigby is a wolf. Like, just a big-ass wolf. His human form is not a glamour; he was turned into a werewolf which makes him able to assume a human form. So he's kinda a reverse werewolf? Werehuman? Anyway, werewolves are weak to silver in the stories, which in turn makes Bigby weak to silver. That he's both a werewolf and the big bad wolf probably also explains his enormous strength, though that's just guessing on my part.

Yes, but my point is, even in fairy tales human characters are susceptible to deadly things, like axes in the brain. Yet Woody didn't even need to bandage his head for more than a day. So I still find it somewhat strange that a silver bullet put Bigby down pretty much like you'd expect in any werewolf story, while an comparably deadly assault didn't even leave a mark on Woody.
The attributes of Fables (and in extension, mythical creatures and urban legends) depend on the popular perception of them. For example, Tiny Tim is still lame even though there is magic and whatnot that could potentially heal him, but since it's part of his tale it is literally part of him and cannot be fixed. The same way, in the popular consciousness were-creatures are weak against silver, and since Bigby is technically one (as it was mentioned, he deliberately let himself to be infected so that he could become a human without a Glamour), he is weak against silver too. He is also weak against the Woodsman's axe (since that was used to defeat him in the Red Riding Hood tale), hence why Mary wanted to get her hands on it, and he is probably also weak against boiling water (the Three Little Pigs tale), but since werewolves are more popular than his original tales, one can presume that his weakness against silver is more pronounced than the others.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
I loved the episode too and I made all of the same decisions as OP (I also had no idea Crooked Man was in the other car, I thought it was just an opportunity to make a mistake). I loved the story and I loved the trial, which reflects the way your actions have impacted the town back at you. I went after Nerissa at the end, but only because I had no idea what it was that Bigby had realised.

I thought the story was excellent and it was probably my favourite episode, however the fight against Mary was incredibly anticlimactic for me, as the Big Bad Wolf wasn't presented well (It just kind of happened) and the sound design for the fight was horrendous, making it feel very very artificial and forgettable. That's just my opinion though.

I'd really like to actually discuss this, but as I'm writing this I'm very, very pressed for time, so I'll have to come back to it.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Venom 3135 said:
I loved the episode too and I made all of the same decisions as OP (I also had no idea Crooked Man was in the other car, I thought it was just an opportunity to make a mistake). I loved the story and I loved the trial, which reflects the way your actions have impacted the town back at you. I went after Nerissa at the end, but only because I had no idea what it was that Bigby had realised.

I thought the story was excellent and it was probably my favourite episode, however the fight against Mary was incredibly anticlimactic for me, as the Big Bad Wolf wasn't presented well (It just kind of happened) and the sound design for the fight was horrendous, making it feel very very artificial and forgettable. That's just my opinion though.

I'd really like to actually discuss this, but as I'm writing this I'm very, very pressed for time, so I'll have to come back to it.
This is a pretty big spoiler theory for Season 2. So read at your discretion.

I bet all the Crooked Mans money was in the bag she was carrying. If Faith died before she even met Bigby, that means it was Nerissa in glamor early in the game, and the same who left the head. Hence why the Doctor Swineheart had to run more tests, the head was older than it should have been if it died after the meeting with Bigby.

She wanted a way out of the Pudding and Pie deal and leave with a fair bit of travel money. She convinced Lily and Faith to go along with her scheme, then she ratted them out. Faith was already dead and Lily wasn't where she was supposed to be, on her shift- she was being killed. But someone did take her shift, Nerissa disguised as Faith. Making sure Bigby felt some sympathy for Faith before dropping off the real Faiths head on his doorstep to set the whole circus into motion and have Bigby destroy The Crooked Mans operation by using him through abusing his big heart "You aren't as bad- so on and so forth" she says it both as Faith and as Nerissa.

Hell, it was likely Nerissa that came up with the idea of taking pictures of glamoured troll and Crane in the Open Arms, just to be extra sure The Crooked Man would have reason to off them.

To top it all off, she makes quite sure the rest of the Pudding and Pie dies aswell. She knows Georgie received a fatal stab wound, and that the last girl would be killing herself out of guilt for having failed to save him, and being the cause of the deaths of two of her co-workers and friends, thus breaking the spell and allowing Nerissa to go through with the last part of her plan.

Whenever you kill the crooked man or put him on trial, it doesn't matter. Nerissa arrives late to give her testimony which will always come just in the time to doom him, much to what is likely his own confusion if he survived till that point and basically weaseled himself out of the whole thing. He simply doesn't understand how everything came tumbling down so quickly, she manages to play the part of the victim easily through the whole thing, making the entire present crowd very sympathetic towards her.

At the very end she partially admits to being the cause of -everything- before walking off towards a bus leaving you to either let the matter rest or chase after her.

She played everyone, including Bigby and in many cases The Player. We are all too willing to chase after Crane and The Crooked Man. They make such good villains, the perfect people to set up so that the hero can come and deliver justice.(if you figured it out, or just have a hunch)

It was the perfect plan. Why would the Big Bad Wolf or 'The Player' ever suspect that The Little Mermaid was the villain of the story? Why would they have investigated her at all?

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Loved it for the most part: Mary's fight was pretty good, particularly in how Bigby evolved to deal with the increasing number of threats. I really do think Mary's character could have been developed SO much more, though, especially after the end of episode 3.hell, i actually thought that at the beginning of episode 5, she was going to become the main antagonist - a psychopath who the crooked man had lost control of, and that the Crooked Man was willing to co-operate so that she would no longer be a threat to him (obviously, things turned out very differently)

As for the trial, pretty much everyone in the room could piss off for all i care, with special middle fingers going to Beast (i nearly ripped your eyes out? shouldn't have attacked me, asshole) and Greenleaf (your a criminal, lady. Don't want me to burn the tree? Stop committing crime.)

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I really thought Snow was going to end up being the bad guy. That would have been a great twist.

Edit: My only beef was that they kept making a big deal about how I "roughed up" Dee during interrogation. Its like, I broke *one* bottle on his head. He's a Fable, that barely got his attention.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Is it just me that wanted a more ... flirtatious relationship between Bigby and Mary? I think it would have been a nice touch to have a Leon and Ada kind of thing going, both killers ... though depending on which kind of Bigby you made, one was a killer and the other is. It would have been good to see Mary reveling in the fact you killed Tweedle or chastising you for not doing so (She does but not to a great level) ... maybe a few lines such as "you're sexy when you're angry" or "you look good in red" and red means blood.

I'm not looking for rule 34 here or a romance option but a strong sexual tension, a love hate kind of thing.

I would have also liked it for Mary to survive and be the main antagonist in season 2, fucking with Bigby's life (like Deathstroke in the last season of arrow) for taking the Crooked man away from her. He was the one who let her indulge her nature, so she owes him revenge.

Over all I thought the last episode was a bit of a disappointment, didn't feel very long and not a lot happened. It's been obvious the Crooked man was the main guy for awhile, Georgie was a prick who abused women, so killing didn't seem like a hard leap. The Vivian thing was kind of obvious from first going to the puddin' n pie 'cos she seemed to be the Madam or to go with the Django metaphor, the house slave. She was a little too comfortable in a place that treated women like that.

The only real surprise was the whole Narissa thing at the end, have to wait 6 months or more for that to start up though.

Just feel like 4 was a good ending that didn't end it, if you know what I mean. The end of 4 you confront the big evil of the story but then episode 4 ends ... 5 feels like padding.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy of what you just said, but it seems well thought out. If you're right it could make for a very interesting second season and it's definitely a good theory.

Kiki8119

Jul 12, 2014
I believe Narissa glamoured herself as Faith to instigate a meeting with Bigby thereby giving him personal contact with "Faith". After the meeting Narisaa then placed Faith's head on Bigsby's doorstep knowing he would have somewhat of a personal stake in finding the killer since he new her.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:
You know, perhaps it was unfair of me to call that a cliffhanger. I guess it's more of a "To be continued" or "On the next season..."
No! This is the perfect ending, a twist in very end and mystery left. Why does everything have to be spelled out at game endings... the "proper" entertainment mediums don't suffer from this.

If there is a season two I hope it's on the farm and it has no connecting points with the end of season one;/

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I could easily sit here an type out a 2000 word essay, but I'll try to keep it brief.

I liked it! A lot. It seemed a bit shorter than previous episodes but perhaps that's because I played through in one sitting. As before I played Bigby as a kind of "Lawful Good" who upholds the spirit of the law if not the letter (I had previously contradicted Snow's orders that I considered to be counterproductive bullshit, killed Dum in what I consider clear self-defence, slipped Toad some cash, and so on).

The Crooked Man was a well-written and charismatic character, although I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see more of the way his morally-ambiguous rogue's lair operated or his relationship with other characters. Also a bit odd his many heinous crimes like kidnapping and enslavement weren't brought up at the trial.

Bloody Mary is similarly badass, but again, I felt we didn't fully see her full character. How did she teleport around without a mirror to use? I suppose we could assume that there are plenty of reflective surfaces in the factory, but it'd have been nice to have it made a bit clearer. Her "true form" was cool but a bit apropos of nothing.

Overall though I thought it was a great episode that mostly tied things up satisfactorily. (I noticed during Georgie's death scene that his TV was still broken from when I'd smashed the place up a few episodes back - nice attention to detail).

Questions:

- Where the hell is Crane?

- In previous trailers it was suggested that Bluebeard would be much more antagonistic and possibly try to wrestle control from Snow. Why didn't this happen?

- That ending. What was Bigby realising? The coincidence in how Faith had previously told him he "wasn't so bad", or something more?

Theories and wild speculation:

Next season will answer where Crane is, and I suspect will be primarily set in and around The Farm. It's an unjust and authoritarian element in an otherwise increasingly egalitarian Fable community, and Bigby's interactions with Colin and Toad suggests that the Farm doesn't sit well with him. Of course, he's explicitly banned from entering it, but the law is flexible...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
It left me more excited for season 2 than anything else.
3 was still my favorite episode but 5 is a close second. The Trial scene might be the best moment in any of the Tell Tale games.

Having such a game changing scene right at the end where you don't really get to see the repercussions of it just makes me more excited for season 2.
especially with the fucking Usual Suspects ending.

I wish the beginning of the chapter had more variability in how it played out though.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
This is probably the best game I've played all year; it's been a while since I actually had to think about a choice. My immediate thoughts about the ending are as follows: Since we know that Lilly's corpse was glamoured to look like Snow White, it's not beyond reason to consider that the first dead girl might not of actually been Faith, especially since Nerissa's final words to Bigby were so odd. It's also interesting that Nerissa kept her ribbon on the whole time; she could have still been under it's control.

My guess is there is another player at work here that we have yet to be introduced to.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Batou667 said:
Paris, sent there by Bloody Mary by The Crooked Man's orders, and going to stay there unless he leaves and goes back within the comic timeframe.

Batou667 said:
- That ending. What was Bigby realising? The coincidence in how Faith had previously told him he "wasn't so bad", or something more?
Faith and Nerissa both said the same things to him so many times over it stopped seeming like a coincidence. The theory is that Bigby never actually met Faith, just Nerissa glamoured as her. There's a lot of discussion about it swimming around, in more eloquent and detailed ways than I could explain.

Batou667 said:
Next season will answer where Crane is, and I suspect will be primarily set in and around The Farm. It's an unjust and authoritarian element in an otherwise increasingly egalitarian Fable community, and Bigby's interactions with Colin and Toad suggests that the Farm doesn't sit well with him. Of course, he's explicitly banned from entering it, but the law is flexible...
Sorry to say but (according to the various wikis) Bigby still never went to the farm, even in the most up to date comic issue. It'd be interesting to see but unless they either fast forward into a sequel to the comics, something that goes hand-in-hand with the comics or season 2 has us play someone else we won't be seeing the farm in the TTG series.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Batou667 said:
Questions:

- In previous trailers it was suggested that Bluebeard would be much more antagonistic and possibly try to wrestle control from Snow. Why didn't this happen?

Crane's in Paris.. or at least that's where they appeared to be sending him. The Mirror shows this if you let Snow use it to find him right after it's repaired.

I'm also surprised that the stuff with Bluebeard didn't appear quite as prominently as he did in the episode previews. I'm guessing that was just due to some mid season course correction, but it does set him up as a potential antagonist for the next season while making sure he didn't muddy up the waters this season given that there already were quite a few "bad guys" to deal with.

The juries out on exactly what that was about. My guess is that, as a few others have said, it ties into your initial meeting with Faith not having been with Faith at all. Faith was dead by that point already but Narissa glamoured as her to give Bigby an emotional attachment to Faith before she made her delivery to your door step later on. Of course, I could be totally wrong. I do know that my Bigby just wanted a break at that point so I had him just let Narissa go.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
inu-kun said:
It will be cool if next season they have another character like boy blue or rose red controllable go to the farm besides Bigby who can't. If I read correctly Crane appears in the comics at some point so he won't be seen again.
Cinderella would be a good choice for that actually, she's Bigby's 'little secret' and is actually a super-spy in the comics as she has spent multiple centuries refining the skills needed.