The World Does Not Hate Captain America

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Luke3184 said:
Fbuh said:
Luke3184 said:
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
Blasphemy, Blade trinity was the movie of my early teens! But yeah I agree he is a pretty damn good actor...
Blade Trinity was probably not the best Blade movie. It did kind of suck. However, Reynolds is a really good actor, and he's funny to boot. I would really like to see a revamped Deadpool movie with him in lead.
You'll be pleased to know a prequel to X-men origins is planned, with him reprising the role. And personally I found it to be the better one, the first having the bouncy blood god and the second a meh horror theme.

P.S I ate a lot of garlic earlier... And I just farted
Its a while since I saw Blade, but didn't they remove said bouncy blood god in favour of a less retarded final action scene?

OT; I'm surprised to see Thor outperform both Captain America and X Men First Class. I heard that Thor was only an average superhero movie, while having seen both of the latter I know that Captain America was a very solid movie, and First Class was... well, yeah.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I'm Russian and I loved captain America.

Actually I think out of all the superheroes he speaks to the Russian audience best of all.

1) WWII in Russia is a very special subject. So heroism during the war is something we all understand and respect. Some guy dresses like a bat? Whatever. A war hero? Hell yeah.

2) You can clearly see what makes Cap a hero. Like the part where he jumps on a grenade. That was strong and also something that is considered heroic in Russia during wars (be it WWII or Chechnya)

So yeah... Russia approves this Cap movie and invites other countries to maybe take a look.

P.S.: Funnily the name of the Movie was censored in Russia and it was called simply "First Avenger", but inside the movie everybody just outright said he was Captain America. Weird.

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
i really liked this film and one of the few things that annoyed me was that they in a small scene in the beginning did not use actors that could not speak Norwegian (it was horrible to hear since you could barely understand what they said).

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Only three nations opted to use the shorter title of The First Avenger - Russia, Ukraine and South Korea - but that's kind of expected given the political leanings of those countries. (As my father-in-law would say, "Screw those commie pinkos."
Are you sure you're not thinking about North Korea? As in the one that is being run by this guy?

Also the Ukraine has been a free market since the fall of the USSR.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Luke3184 said:
Fbuh said:
Luke3184 said:
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
Blasphemy, Blade trinity was the movie of my early teens! But yeah I agree he is a pretty damn good actor...
Blade Trinity was probably not the best Blade movie. It did kind of suck. However, Reynolds is a really good actor, and he's funny to boot. I would really like to see a revamped Deadpool movie with him in lead.
You'll be pleased to know a prequel to X-men origins is planned, with him reprising the role. And personally I found it to be the better one, the first having the bouncy blood god and the second a meh horror theme.

Random berk said:
Luke3184 said:
Fbuh said:
Luke3184 said:
Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:

Its a while since I saw Blade, but didn't they remove said bouncy blood god in favour of a less retarded final action scene?

OT; I'm surprised to see Thor outperform both Captain America and X Men First Class. I heard that Thor was only an average superhero movie, while having seen both of the latter I know that Captain America was a very solid movie, and First Class was... well, yeah.
Well the scene they replaced it was, believe it or not worse, using a blood whirlwind...

(I think we should probably stop derailing the topic with a debate on Blade though...)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
I saw it last week, also fantastic!

That's it's Captain America doesn't really grate, they don't take the America part of the name too seriously, which is nice. I wish they'd had a sequel (or two) still set in World War 2, the movie looked amazing up until the last couple of minutes, then the colour scheme hit the irritating 'modern' blue grey button.

One thing though, why has Thor out performed First Class? That ain't right.
Its not that surprising considering the last 2 xmen movies were terrible and when you go see a movie you cannot be able to know before hand whether or not it will be good or not.

Basically with movie theaters, sales =/= quality

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
thank idiot americans for rushing blindly to see Green lantern in such ridiculous quantities.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
I'm a European and I loved it. The key is focusing on the person behind the mask and not the America on the helm. The scientist character did a fantastic job getting this through. And I know people will feel he is corny, but I loved his boyscout attitude, it's been ages since I've seen a main character and a hero not be a snarky asshole. He is just a really nice guy with a very solid moral compass. I really want to see how Cap's attitude clashes with Tony's assholery, Thor's larger than life and Bruce's autodestructive tendencies.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
On the front page the news article was titled The world loves America. I very nearly raged hard.
I haven't been to see it yet, but I do want to. Looks to be a good film and it sounds like there's only a small amount of the patriotic crap that makes me despise just about everything the yanks produce related to WW2.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
Heh, going strong, it's funny because he's strong, heh.

OT: I've not seen it yet but I'd quite like to after everyone has raved about it, glad to see it's still going strong.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Haven't seen the movie yet (going to watch it based on Movie Bob's recommendation) but is it about America or Captain America?
The article sure makes it sound like it's more about America than the hero who has "America" in his name.
I never thought the Cap was any more patriotic than Spidey or Superman who spend the vast majority of their time in the States fighting for America...

I mean if the movie is good I'd go watch Captain North Korea. What I mean by that is, I like the character - but not because or despite of his name.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Xzi said:
IMHO First Class has been the best superhero movie by far this year. Captain America was also pretty good, though. Thor was a straight-up meh, and you can forget it if you think I'm ever going to pay to see Green Lantern.

Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
He doesn't have any range. He's the same offbeat comedian in every role he plays. Which is exactly why he was the wrong guy to be in all these action flicks. Chances are that he has no respect for the source material and so just views the roles as a chance for some easy extra cash. Thus the reason he accepts one after the other so eagerly, despite having been highly criticized for the previous ones.
Verily. Ryan Reynolds only plays Ryan Reynolds. Go see Van Wilder and you've pretty much seen every role he will ever play. It's kind of like Jim Carey and Ace Ventura and The Mask. Though Carey might have more range than Reynolds.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
VanityGirl said:
Sixcess said:
The irony is that Captain America has never been a "America Fuck Yeah" character. In fact he's probably got a stronger track record than most for criticising mindless jingoism. You want unconditional admiration of the USA just look to Superman...
Thank You! You know a lot of people on this very site were bitching about Cap having a movie made about him because "it was just going to be a flag waving dick slinging movie". Cap has never been about that. Actually, Captain America is just an all around nice guy. He's a soldier, but he has broken the law before if he saw it unjust or immorale (think Civil War).
boom.

hell that was the WHOLE DAMN POINT of ultimate avengers 2 (i played it on the wii, not sure if it was on other systems)

Cap was the one against the goverment listings of superheroes and their identities while ironman was all for it, and cap was willing to fight against america/the government to make sure his ideals were upheld (original american ideals,freedom,freedom of speech, etc..)
My criticism of him is that he's completely one dimensional as a character, so it was rough watching him as the leading role. But he might be good as a foil against the other Avengers, like Iron Man the drunken party boy. I think his role in the movie is probably just to set up Robert Downey Jr. for all sorts of witty quips.

My largest criticism of the Avengers movie is that they have FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. He's going to steal every scene he's in because he's FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. The acting styles just don't mix. Edward Norton is too subtle an actor for a bombastic superhero movie. The guy who plays Thor is literally JUST a piece of man-meat to attract a female audience.

Can anyone imagine a scene with Robert Downey Jr. AND Edward Norton? I can't. Their acting has two completely different dynamics. I think the movie is going to come off as completely schizophrenic in tone.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
volX posted - Well i DO hate captain america.
America is bad as it is, but wrapping a arian superhuman into its flag and calling him the sentinel against the nazis is so absurd its not even funny anymore.
im sad for the world, that people watch this garbage.

Based on your comment and avatar I'm guessing you're just another emo troll, therefore I'm going to let your comment die in obscurity by not quoting it properly. Next time, try to be more open minded and actually take the time evaluate something before you pass judgment. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Protip: Captain America never fights a single Nazi in the movie, he only fights Hydra (an independent military group).

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
tehpiemaker said:
Genixma said:
Amerika.
Amerika.

*ahem* Yep, awesome movie.
Wait, I don't understand what your trying to say in this comment. But I just felt like saying that you misspelled "America".
Alrighty Here. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URKa3umgQic]

It's Wonderful.

Sep 14, 2009
ReiverCorrupter said:
gmaverick019 said:
VanityGirl said:
Sixcess said:
The irony is that Captain America has never been a "America Fuck Yeah" character. In fact he's probably got a stronger track record than most for criticising mindless jingoism. You want unconditional admiration of the USA just look to Superman...
Thank You! You know a lot of people on this very site were bitching about Cap having a movie made about him because "it was just going to be a flag waving dick slinging movie". Cap has never been about that. Actually, Captain America is just an all around nice guy. He's a soldier, but he has broken the law before if he saw it unjust or immorale (think Civil War).
boom.

hell that was the WHOLE DAMN POINT of ultimate avengers 2 (i played it on the wii, not sure if it was on other systems)

Cap was the one against the goverment listings of superheroes and their identities while ironman was all for it, and cap was willing to fight against america/the government to make sure his ideals were upheld (original american ideals,freedom,freedom of speech, etc..)
My criticism of him is that he's completely one dimensional as a character, so it was rough watching him as the leading role. But he might be good as a foil against the other Avengers, like Iron Man the drunken party boy. I think his role in the movie is probably just to set up Robert Downey Jr. for all sorts of witty quips.

My largest criticism of the Avengers movie is that they have FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. He's going to steal every scene he's in because he's FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. The acting styles just don't mix. Edward Norton is too subtle an actor for a bombastic superhero movie. The guy who plays Thor is literally JUST a piece of man-meat to attract a female audience.

Can anyone imagine a scene with Robert Downey Jr. AND Edward Norton? I can't. Their acting has two completely different dynamics. I think the movie is going to come off as completely schizophrenic in tone.
while i agree he isn't that deep, so having him as the pure lead role isn't the best "fulfillment" that most people would like, i do like what he stands for and he sticks to it pretty well, so i think it'll work well in the avengers with him.

i do understand your criticism here, but they've done pretty damn good i would say thus far, and with their possible biggest cash cow yet, i doubt they will "fuck it up"..unless they really don't know their audience, which like i said they've nailed it decently so far.

regardless that thor is a cut beast, the actor portrays him well i think, i don't know what you've seen in the past but i think he is the best thor yet (including cartoons and such), he reminds me of a viking/god combo, which is what thor was supposed to be like..but maybe i'm wrong?