The World Does Not Hate Captain America

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
There were moments when the film drifted into "America is the greatest", a couple of which made me facepalm, but on the whole, the movie was pretty good as a popcorn movie.

The moment that stuck out in my mind the most though, was the names on the bombs. Seriously, if they'd played "Dun-Dun-Dun!" music over the top, it would have been easier to swallow. The guy's at war with the whole world, and the bombs are for Boston, New York, (some other East coast city I forget). It has a hint of the ridiculous.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
the world dosen't love america... the world hates america! Captain America represents how america should be in order for the rest of us to not hate it(hate might not be the best word...)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
ReiverCorrupter said:
My largest criticism of the Avengers movie is that they have FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. He's going to steal every scene he's in because he's FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. The acting styles just don't mix. Edward Norton is too subtle an actor for a bombastic superhero movie. The guy who plays Thor is literally JUST a piece of man-meat to attract a female audience.

Can anyone imagine a scene with Robert Downey Jr. AND Edward Norton? I can't. Their acting has two completely different dynamics. I think the movie is going to come off as completely schizophrenic in tone.
Actually they don't have Edward Norton, they've got Mark Ruffalo replacing him in the Avengers movie. He'll probably work with the cast better.
volX said:
America is bad as it is, but wrapping a arian superhuman into its flag and calling him the sentinel against the nazis is so absurd its not even funny anymore.
To be fair that was kind of the idea his Jewish Creators (Kirby and Simon) had at the time during WW2. It's also why Siegel and Shuster created a "Superman" that was Jewish in appearance and had a Moses-esque backstory.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
gmaverick019 said:
VanityGirl said:
Sixcess said:
The irony is that Captain America has never been a "America Fuck Yeah" character. In fact he's probably got a stronger track record than most for criticising mindless jingoism. You want unconditional admiration of the USA just look to Superman...
Thank You! You know a lot of people on this very site were bitching about Cap having a movie made about him because "it was just going to be a flag waving dick slinging movie". Cap has never been about that. Actually, Captain America is just an all around nice guy. He's a soldier, but he has broken the law before if he saw it unjust or immorale (think Civil War).
boom.

hell that was the WHOLE DAMN POINT of ultimate avengers 2 (i played it on the wii, not sure if it was on other systems)

Cap was the one against the goverment listings of superheroes and their identities while ironman was all for it, and cap was willing to fight against america/the government to make sure his ideals were upheld (original american ideals,freedom,freedom of speech, etc..)
My criticism of him is that he's completely one dimensional as a character, so it was rough watching him as the leading role. But he might be good as a foil against the other Avengers, like Iron Man the drunken party boy. I think his role in the movie is probably just to set up Robert Downey Jr. for all sorts of witty quips.

My largest criticism of the Avengers movie is that they have FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. He's going to steal every scene he's in because he's FREAKING EDWARD NORTON. The acting styles just don't mix. Edward Norton is too subtle an actor for a bombastic superhero movie. The guy who plays Thor is literally JUST a piece of man-meat to attract a female audience.

Can anyone imagine a scene with Robert Downey Jr. AND Edward Norton? I can't. Their acting has two completely different dynamics. I think the movie is going to come off as completely schizophrenic in tone.
while i agree he isn't that deep, so having him as the pure lead role isn't the best "fulfillment" that most people would like, i do like what he stands for and he sticks to it pretty well, so i think it'll work well in the avengers with him.

i do understand your criticism here, but they've done pretty damn good i would say thus far, and with their possible biggest cash cow yet, i doubt they will "fuck it up"..unless they really don't know their audience, which like i said they've nailed it decently so far.

regardless that thor is a cut beast, the actor portrays him well i think, i don't know what you've seen in the past but i think he is the best thor yet (including cartoons and such), he reminds me of a viking/god combo, which is what thor was supposed to be like..but maybe i'm wrong?
Well, apparently they don't have Edward Norton as the Hulk so I'm less worried. I agree they've done a pretty decent job thus far. All of the movies have at least been entertaining, though Iron Man stands head and shoulders above the rest.

The guy who played Thor did an alright job, but he frankly came off way too chivalrous. I'm not really sure where that's coming from because the vikings were NOT chivalrous. Thor should be drunk, arrogant, bawdy and should have a deep bellowing and cheery laugh (he is the inspiration for Santa Claus after all). He should be drinking horns of mead and slapping his friends on the back too hard while making lewd jokes.

Loki sucked too. Loki in the Eddas is depicted as basically being an admixture of mania and psychosis. He is possessed to do incredibly stupid things just because he is bored (like shaving Freya's (Thor's wife's) head for instance [not a good idea]). He should be bouncing off of the walls making riddles and jokes and witty come-backs.

I can understand not keeping strictly to the mythology, but the Aesir didn't even come off as remotely Viking, even in spirit. The whole thing about keeping the peace is an absolute joke. The cosmology in Viking mythology revolved around war. The universe was born in the conflict between fire and ice, and it ends in the Ragnarok, a giant ass cosmic battle in which everyone kills everyone else [and this itself is just an endlessly repeating cycle]. They loved war, it was kind of their thing.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
WolfThomas said:
ReiverCorrupter said:

Actually they don't have Edward Norton, they've got Mark Ruffalo replacing him in the Avengers movie. He'll probably work with the cast better.
That's a little relieving, though I'm also kind of disappointed because I like Edward Norton.

WolfThomas said:
volX said:
America is bad as it is, but wrapping a arian superhuman into its flag and calling him the sentinel against the nazis is so absurd its not even funny anymore.
To be fair that was kind of the idea his Jewish Creators (Kirby and Simon) had at the time during WW2. It's also why Siegel and Shuster created a "Superman" that was Jewish in appearance and had a Moses-esque backstory.
Captain America made sense as a hero during WWII. He's just kind of irrelevant now because America has become the world's reluctant and almost universally unpopular police force. The UN talks a good game but they really just suck, as evidenced by their utter impotence in trying to help Africa. I just don't see how there could be a 21st century Captain America. What the hell would he stand for? He could change his name to "Captain Liberty" and try to spread democracy and overthrow dictatorships in the third world, but he couldn't go around doing that while also representing America.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Kurokami said:
Zing said:
He's just wrong for Green Latern, but perfect for Deadpool.
but he's not loud, not vulgar, and not rough sounding enough to play Deadpool imo.
he's not loud and not vulgar...

wait what?

are we..what have you watched that he was in?

because obviously not what i have seen...
Guess not. Ryan Reynolds is no doubt amongst my favorite actors and he does sarcasm well, but he doesn't have the coarse and loud vulgarity I'd expect from Deadpool, especially considering how he played Wade in the movie. (though for all I care, that movie doesn't exist. Which is kinda negated by my mentioning it, whatever) Maybe he'll step it up and prove me wrong when the Deadpool movie eventually comes out, but I doubt it.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Zing said:
Kurokami said:
Zing said:
He's just wrong for Green Latern, but perfect for Deadpool.
Disagree. Yes he's a fantastic actor, but he's not loud, not vulgar, and not rough sounding enough to play Deadpool imo.
What? He's comedic roles have been nothing but loud and vulgar. Van Wilder anyone? Wade Wilson is practically made for him.
His* (that's not meant to be condescending or anything so please don't take it that way)

Obviously quite a few people agree with you that he's right for the role, but for me his past roles aren't quite the same way I imagine Deadpool. Seeing as I have a hard time describing how he should sound, I'm just going to wait for the movie to come out and hopefully he matches what I expect of Deadpool.

The Gray Train

Aug 8, 2010
i think what many people don't understand about Cap is that he only wants to help people, protect the innocent even at the cost of his life. at first the US only wanted him as a propaganda piece, but he became pissed at being paraded around; he felt useless, like he was betraying the people fighting for freedom. that in my mind is what Cap has always been about: sacrificing for others, for the greater good. spidey may talk about great power carrying great responsibility, but Cap lives it. there was a comic cover that had Cap's shield raised, with shadowy faces in the background representing the masses he's sworn to protect. it was beautifully simple, yet really captured the essence of his character (btw if anyone knows which issue that was or can provide a link to it i would really appreciate it).