The worst game of this generation.

aLivingPheonix

Feb 26, 2010
I know I'll probably get flamed but... Hitman: Blood Money. I can see why people liked it, but I personally hated it. I hated the fact that if I killed one guy, then EVERYONE on the map would be alerted, and I'd have to start the mission all over.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Hidden Invasion was beyond horrible. Maybe that's why no-one has ever heard of it. It might be the very first game I've ever considered returning to the store, wanting my money back. I think I paid 40 NOK ($6-$7 or so) for it, and I think the money itself was offended that it was spent on that garbage. Still, I don't think I'll return it. I don't want to to get the honour of being the first game I've ever returned.

Also, Infernal: Hell's Vengeance for the 360 was pretty awful. Sure; it was amazing compared to Hidden Invasion, but on its own it failed miserably, mainly because it actually felt like it should have been released several years ago. Operation WinBack was released for the PS2 eight years before it, and that actually felt more like a next-gen shooter than Infernal ever did.
Wait, Hell's Vengeance was ported from the PC... Well, that explains it!
Hell, I never played the PC version. Maybe it's better?

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
A random person said:
Cheery Lunatic said:
Enchanted Arms.

Well, actually I didn't play it. I wouldn't touch the game with a mile long stick.
Technically, I watched my sister play it. God, it was so bad. She's a weeaboo and even she agreed it was awful.
My understanding is that it was marketed as a rare JRPG on the shooter-focused 360. It always struck me as something nobody would look at if it were on a more RPG-rich console.

Also, Other M, for reasons the internet's been over repeatedly.
That and it had a flaming gay male. I'm ok with gay, but this game took it way too far. SO fucking annoying. All the inuendo about putting stuff in the mout etc..

Id say fallout 3/oblivion. both were annoying and boring to me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Worst game that I've played (not necessarily worst game out there, I'm sure I've been lucky not to play some pretty awful games): CoD:BlOps

A campaign that effectively hypnotised me into a state of semi-consciousness and never bothered to wake me up. Like Bender Rodriguez's MW2, only with an anti-soul...

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Too Human deserves to be the worst game of this generation, but that game was bad before I even bought it, because I was expecting nothing from it. But I think the worst game to me has to be the Force Unleashed. It isn't as bad as Too Human but I was expecting something good from this and what I got was one of the worst games I have ever played! It was horrible!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hoboape said:
What is the worst game you have played on the current generation of consoles(home or handheld)?
For me it would probably be Too Human. It was just a slow clunky mess with about five enemy types which were reused over and over.

Although in a close second is Tom Clancy's EndWar simply because it refused to do what I told it to. The voice command was a poorly implemented gimmick and seemed to work depending on how the game was feeling that day.

So what are yours?
I'd say the Call of Duty Modern Warfare games, but now that you mention EndWar I think you might be right....

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Hoboape said:
What is the worst game you have played on the current generation of consoles(home or handheld)?
For me it would probably be Too Human. It was just a slow clunky mess with about five enemy types which were reused over and over.

Although in a close second is Tom Clancy's EndWar simply because it refused to do what I told it to. The voice command was a poorly implemented gimmick and seemed to work depending on how the game was feeling that day.

So what are yours?
I played the Too Human demo...I was amazed that a game that took 10 years to make sucked that bad.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I've gotta say that it was Perfect Dark Zero, Resident Evil 5 or Fallout 3.

Okay, Fallout 3 isn't THAT bad, but it's dull. Really, really, really dull. I explored every freaking where because I thought I'd be discovering cool new areas. Aside from a small mountain section, everything looks the same. It's all brown, and what isn't brown is gray. A post-nuke zone doesn't HAVE to be brown. It doesn't. Brown enemies set against brownish-gray buildings in a tannish-brown world. Good luck finding enemies without hammering the right bumper constantly.

On top of that, most of the missions are fetch quests. Oblivion had plenty of those, sure, and Fallout 3 is similar to Oblivion. But you know what Oblivion had? Freaking variety. Pick a guild, or some quests to do, and just spend all day doing quests. Every town had like a billion quests, most of which were pretty unique. Many of them didn't involve combat at all. Oblivion does everything better than Fallout 3. Also, Fallout 3 is AT LEAST as buggy as Oblivion, if not much more so. I personally encountered friggin' loads of game-stopping bugs in Fallout 3, as opposed to a mere handful of possible glitches in Oblivion.

RE5 is just baaaad. Bad story, bad controls that the game won't let you customize (yeah, way worse than RE4), bad AI, bad partner nonsense, bad horror, bad enemy designs... Bad everything. It's kinda fun in a cheap, sleazy, popcorn action blockbuster way, but it's still bad.

Perfect Dark Zero is so aggressively mediocre it insults every one of the five senses. Nothing works very well, and many things just plain don't work at all. Say what you will about modern gaming, but cheap, crappy stealth levels are something that never belonged in FPS games and I, for one, am happy to see modern shooters moving away from them.

Oh, and the PC version of Kane and Lynch: Dead Men deserves special mention for being nearly impossible to freaking run, loaded full of bugs and never patched. I finally broke down and bought the 360 version so I can rob a bank already.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
aLivingPheonix said:
I know I'll probably get flamed but... Hitman: Blood Money. I can see why people liked it, but I personally hated it. I hated the fact that if I killed one guy, then EVERYONE on the map would be alerted, and I'd have to start the mission all over.
You ever notice guys speaking into radios? I hate to use the Internet phrase, but "you're doing it wrong." Security guards communicate through radios, and they can hear noises. Here are the ways you can get a red alert:

-A guard sees you do something very not appropriate (carrying the wrong kind of gun for a disguise, killing someone, doing something you aren't supposed to in a restricted area, etc).

-A civilian witnessed you break a law and ran to tell security. Now that particular civvy and a few of the guards (not all) know what you look like. Change disguises and you're good.

-Guards have been alerted that a man dressed like you did something bad. Usually one of the guards has to call it in via radio. Kill him before he makes his call-no problem. Unless you are loud.

-Guards hear loud noises, especially gun shots. They're in high alert status. If they can't find you in the area they heard shots, they probably won't identify you later.

-Guards found a body and are alerted. Any little thing you do will set them off, 'cause they're trying to figure out which one of you is The Thing. Oh, I mean, a murderer.

-Your disguise is compromised. Better to trespass wearing the wrong clothes than wear clothes you've been "made" in. Don't take clothes from obviously-visible corpses and this probably won't happen to you. Hide the bodies in a hamper!

-A guard of the same type as the disguise you're wearing is beginning to wonder why his new partner is taller and balder. He walks over and takes a close look at you. The rising wanted level is your clue to GET OUT OF THERE NOW. Wait long enough while looking lovingly into his eyes and he will make you. Walk and/or turn away and he will eventually give up.

Also, sometimes when you kill too many people your wanted level automatically goes up (but not to red, or not to a red guards will act on). You will NEVER be insta-flagged unless you do something. I've had a FULL red bar and enemies didn't do anything. The game just wants you to start playing a little more carefully, so it doesn't give you any room to screw up.

Finally, if you are alerted, change your outfit. You don't have to restart unless you're going for Silent Assassin, in which case you shouldn't be going for that, since you obviously aren't skilled enough at the game (and that's no big deal, I mean-who really cares?)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
JoshGod said:
heavenly sword, the only game i will never finish.
Too bad, while the game is occasionally awful there is both fantastic mechanics and surprising emotional depth further into the game. Along with a tiny part which probably had voice acting easily in the top 5 I've ever heard in a game. Ever.

Worst...uff there have been a lot of good(?) suggestions...I dont like to think about bad games, but Too human and Far cry 2 has to be some of the most disappointing ones at least.

thingymuwatsit

May 29, 2010
Assassin's Creed.
But in all fairness I never buy a game that has too many bad reviews, especially at The Escapist.

Bunnybeater

Feb 4, 2009
For God's sake, don't choose a game you haven't fucking played. Y'know how everybody can be ranting about how great a game is, but you just don't like it? It works both ways. Just because Yahtzee says a game is shit doesn't mean you should immediately declare it your Worst Game of This Generation.

My personal choice would be Dragon Age. For a compulsive tabletop RPG addict such as myself, the options were far too restricted for me to feel like I was actually making a character.

N.Manth

Dec 9, 2009
I have to say Modern warfare 2.
I loved the first modern warfare mostly for it's emotional realism, especially in the USMC sections, it had an almost jarhead feel about the whole thing, which made the characters much more real than almost any other shooter out there.

And along comes the sequel that takes all the realism and emotional impact of the first game and surgically removes it in favour of more nukes and a terrible, stilted, over the top 'the world is at stake' Tom Clancy novel.

I sorta liked it when the world wasn't in immidiate peril.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
The worst one that I acctually bought was Sonic '06.

This has changed my philosophy of buying games forever by the way. I can't believe I let myself pay full price near release date for it.

Always, ALWAYS look at what the game has to offer before you buy it.

Gameslayer_93

Jul 17, 2009
probably red faction guerilla or FFXIII, 2 AWFUL games which i traded in within a few days

EDIT: i almost forgot Dragon Age, i know everyone raved about it but it was easily one of the worst games ive played in ages

Dr. Win

Jan 2, 2011
Games that I bought; Sonic Unleashed (I bought for my Wii before I threw my Wii out a window onto fire). Can't believe I wasted money on that game.