The worst video game ending ever

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Damn. So many people still bitter about ME3, when it could've been much, much, much worse. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it wasn't badly mishandled, but at least Bioware tried to fix it; whether or not they succeeded is up for debate. It didn't kill my excitement for Andromeda, but given how mediocre DA: Inquisition was, I'm still going in with a healthy amount of skepticism.

Hmm...endings. I would nominate Final Fantasy XIII, but that entire game was a train wreck, so the ending wasn't that bad when compared to the rest of the game. I also don't want to go with Half-Life 2, because it just left us hanging while expecting a follow-up.

It's been forever since I played RAGE, but now that someone mentioned it, it came back to mind. I'll give that an honorable mention while making Deus Ex: Human Revolution my choice. As much as I love that game, cheesing the final boss fight with the Laser Rifle and then being met with the ENDING-O-TRON 9001 just made my skin crawl. The upcoming sequel isn't going to help matters, either.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Derekloffin said:
Worst in the sense that the game as a whole was very good but the ending SUCKED... my vote goes for Deus Ex Human Revolution. I adore this game, but the ending is utter trash. Literally press one of 4 buttons for 4 different monologues about... I don't know, I zoned out in every one of them. I mean, the original Deus Ex had a terrible ending too, but at least you had to do something different for each ending, even if only ever so modestly, and I remembered those endings, but Human Revolution, nah, we can't even be bothered with that level of investment. Sigh, oh well, still a great game.
Did you play the first one? It's literally the same thing.

Derekloffin

Jun 17, 2015
trunkage said:
Derekloffin said:
Worst in the sense that the game as a whole was very good but the ending SUCKED... my vote goes for Deus Ex Human Revolution. I adore this game, but the ending is utter trash. Literally press one of 4 buttons for 4 different monologues about... I don't know, I zoned out in every one of them. I mean, the original Deus Ex had a terrible ending too, but at least you had to do something different for each ending, even if only ever so modestly, and I remembered those endings, but Human Revolution, nah, we can't even be bothered with that level of investment. Sigh, oh well, still a great game.
Did you not read what I said?! And no, even it had you do slightly different things for each ending, not just in a room with 3 of the buttons, and 1 button down the hall.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Hmmm. I personally quite liked the ending of Inside, as it saw three not too sober grown-ass adults on a couch get philosophical, then combative and loud and eventually just much more intoxicated to deal with the ending, life and everything.

Thinking back, my number one huge let-down of an ending would probably have to be The Suffering: Ties That Bind. A game that kept blowing us away pretty much all the way, until the not-quite-finished feeling final confrontation and the sequel-less decade that followed. It's been, what, twelve years now?

Then again, looking at 99.9% of the rebooted origin prequel sequels we got instead, that is probably a good thing.

More modern games... BioShock: Infinite was quite a bummer. But the real-life drama that followed kind of put all that into perspective, hardcore.

Kiall

Jan 8, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe not the worst but TLJ:Dreamfall is pretty bad. Nothing you did accomplished much more the delaying the bad guys and forestalling the end of the world, all of the main characters are pretty much fucked, from what we could tell considering almost nothing was resolved.
In fairness to TLJ: Dreamfall it is meant to be the second part to a trilogy its just it didn't sell well and it was put on hiatus for years. Thanks to crowdfunding there is now a Dreamfall Chapters though which might wrap it all up better (haven't got round to playing it yet want to re-play the first two games to refresh my memory).

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just one mention of FF13! That ending should be shown in school to illustrate exactly what not to do!

Not a lot of stuff happen in the game (despite it being over 40 hour) but you do learn two things in the game 1) Branded people have only two fate, monster or crystal and 2) The bad guys want you to kill eden which will cause the flying island to crash, killing every human.

So the ending is, obviously, that your character immediately try to kill eden. But before they can, they turn into monster but miracle they all turn back human. So at this point they have no more reason to kill eden (which would save humanity) but nope, they instead go ahead and kill eden anyway. This cause the island to crash but, more unexplained miracle, everyone get teleported off the island. I'm pretty sure someone who would have literally no idea what happened in the game would have made a better ending.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Mass Effect 3(though the directors cut helped a bit) . For the worst ending combined with the worst twist ever, there is Army of Two: the Devil's Cartel:

{Salem suddenly turning totally evil for really asinine and nonsensical reasons pissed me off something fierce, (I can't recall ever being more angry at a game's plot then that one) it felt like a big "fuck you" to people like me who had been with the franchise since the beginning, it's even more stupid and ridiculous then Penelope's betrayal in Sly 4: Thieves in Time, if you want more details on why it's so bad, visit this page and look at my entry on there(same username):http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/VideoGames}

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
Fable 2. What should have been an epic boss fight was underwhelming. Worse, if I remember correctly, he shot my dog and I sat there listening to him, and out of nowhere, another guy shot him. The game denied me my revenge because I just sat there for a little bit. It was terrible

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Kiall said:
Maybe not the worst but TLJ:Dreamfall is pretty bad. Nothing you did accomplished much more the delaying the bad guys and forestalling the end of the world, all of the main characters are pretty much fucked, from what we could tell considering almost nothing was resolved.
In fairness to TLJ: Dreamfall it is meant to be the second part to a trilogy its just it didn't sell well and it was put on hiatus for years. Thanks to crowdfunding there is now a Dreamfall Chapters though which might wrap it all up better (haven't got round to playing it yet want to re-play the first two games to refresh my memory).
I've played Chapters(helped Kickstart it, actually) and one of the things it does right is almost immediately deal with the cliffhangers from Dreamfall. And while I respect the team that made the TLJ games, I'm almost very much of the opinion that if you're not fairly sure of getting a sequel to conclude everything, don't have everything hanging off the cliff when you reach the end.

Unless they were screwed by FUN.COM, which seemed to have more then enough cash to throw at two failed MMO's but couldn't be bothered to wrap up the Dreamfall storyline which probably would have cost a fraction of either Conan or The Secret World.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Meiam said:
Just one mention of FF13! That ending should be shown in school to illustrate exactly what not to do!

Not a lot of stuff happen in the game (despite it being over 40 hour) but you do learn two things in the game 1) Branded people have only two fate, monster or crystal and 2) The bad guys want you to kill eden which will cause the flying island to crash, killing every human.

So the ending is, obviously, that your character immediately try to kill eden. But before they can, they turn into monster but miracle they all turn back human. So at this point they have no more reason to kill eden (which would save humanity) but nope, they instead go ahead and kill eden anyway. This cause the island to crash but, more unexplained miracle, everyone get teleported off the island. I'm pretty sure someone who would have literally no idea what happened in the game would have made a better ending.
What got me was the fact that the villain pretty much tells them straight out halfway through the game that killing Orphan will cause the world to come to an end. What do they do? Proceed to do exactly what the Villian told them to do, and surprise, things pretty much ended the way he said they would(if not for the Dues Ex Machina).

FFXIII-2 is just as bad, though somehow manages to make even less sense, especially when you realize the Villian could have just as easily accomplished his goal by killing himself....and he knows this! XIII-2 is pretty much a massive case of "Nothing you did mattered and it was all a massive exercise in futility". Apparently if you 100% the game, you get an extra scene at the end where the Villian pretty much laughs at you for putting in so much effort.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Derekloffin said:
trunkage said:
Derekloffin said:
Did you not read what I said?! And no, even it had you do slightly different things for each ending, not just in a room with 3 of the buttons, and 1 button down the hall.
Clearly... I didn't read it properly
Sorry