The worst way to die?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
So, what for you would be the worst way to die? Please note, I don't want people holding back in this thread. Don't break the forum rules, obviously, but up until that point give us all the detail that is needed to convey the horror of this 'preferred' manner of expiration.

For me, it's probably something like rabies. Losing your mind to the pain is a nasty fucking way to go.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Probably having a starved rat inserted into one of your orifices through a pipe & eating you from the inside out...that was possibly one of the most messed up things I've ever read.

Fire would be pretty bad, especially if it was a slow burn.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Drowning terrifies me, probably because I've been rescued from drowning before. Being pinned underwater, being able to see everything around you and knowing that growing pain in your chest is going to make you panic and tr and scream and flail and slowly die.... horrible. I refuse to go below decks on boats for that reason. I'm not a fan of open water, either, I like to be confident I can swim to shore from wherever I am.

Starvation or dehydration would be torture, too. There are plenty of horrible ways to go.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Slow, painful, alone...

As long as these three criterias are met everything is horrible: Slowly dying of thirst in the desert or having a festering wound and rotting your flesh away... or maybe getting tortured to death.

All terrible.
Well, as for "normal" deaths: Drowning and burning might be pretty bad too. Also having your lungs slowly filling with blood and "stuff" while you are laying partly crushed on the street after an accident ist a pretty bad way too.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I would say drowning or being set on fire realistically.

But let's talk very unlikely but still possible. Being slowly sliced by various sharp objects that may or not be rusty. This is followed by pouring vinegar and lemon juice over the wounds. While this goes on force the person into a tanning bed and broil them for a minute or so, take them out and pour salt on them before putting them back in for about 30 more seconds. Set them on fire, shoot them once or twice and throw them into water.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Aconitum poisoning. Per wikipedia:

"Progression of symptoms: the first symptoms of aconitine poisoning appear approximately 20 minutes to 2 hours after oral intake and include paraesthesia, sweating and nausea. This leads to severe vomiting, colicky diarrhea, intense pain and then paralysis of the skeletal muscles. Following the onset of life threatening arrhythmia, including ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation, death finally occurs as a result of respiratory paralysis or cardiac arrest."

The "intense pain" referenced has been described as akin to being devoured by fire ants from the inside out. It's also worth noting that through all of this unpleasantness that the victim remains awake and alert. Horrible stuff.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Standard, non-imaginative? Burning. Imaginative? Fugu poisoning and then death by careless medical examiner.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Just search "the murder of Junko Furuta" in Wikipedia. It's almost enough to make you clamour for the death penalty again when you read what that poor girl had to suffer.

If not that, being buried alive after having recently been given a lethal injection, without the ability to move or even scream as your body feels as hot as fire.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...odd. I was just reading a piece, like last few minutes, about how today is the 40th anniversary of the biggest massacre of gay people in the US.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/24/remembering-the-upstairs-lounge-the-u-s-a-s-largest-lgbt-massacre-happened-40-years-ago-today/

Now, dunno about the absolute worst, but being upstairs in your church with your friends when it gets set on fire, trying to squeeze through a window to get out, and getting stuck halfway through and burning to death sounds pretty bad. Bonus points if the police and firecrews don't care too much because you're gay, except you're too dead to know about that.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Getting crushed by a vending machine as there is not a more humiliating way to go out than that. I would want to die naturally or get killed by nature in some way as that is just the way of life.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I might think burning, but the pain might become too much for your mind to comprehend.

Rather depressing, I warn you:
Rather than painful, I think the worst way to die is alone. I hate the thought of anyone dying alone, scared and in pain. It's why whenever one of my pets die I hold them and pet them and talk to them until the body's cold. To me, it's the thing I have to do. It helps me attain a sense of peace and finality, too. The emptiness in the eyes tells you the one you loved is really gone and the body's just a thing.

I've lost three grandparents and never had the opportunity to be there with them at the time, as much as I tried to be. I feel guilty about that, even though two of the three died with other family members beside them.

I wouldn't want to die alone.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Being buried alive would be the worst for me, small coffin sized box, enough air to keep you alive long enough, but you still know there is no way out. Knowing you're in your grave while alive would feel so miserable.

For a hypothetical awful death, starving to death alone in a dank dungeon, it's very similar to being buried alive, but even more drawn out. You would have water so you wouldn't die of thirst, you would hold out for salvation only to run out of energy and just die laying around.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Fire, or similar burning via acid or whatnot.
You're stimulating every point on your body with an intense pain, which will likely continue for minutes on end.
Just writing that one sentence made me cringe at the thought.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
If somehow you could force a persons pain centre receptors to be fully active, so that their brain would think they were feeling every type of pain ever from every part of their body.

They would literately die of (false) pain within a few minutes, but those few minutes would be the worst anyone has ever experienced.

It's would be twice as bad for females too, because they have twice as many pain receptors on their bodies as males, which means they have twice as many pain receptors in the brain that would be activated.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I once heard that the worst way to die is being boiled alive. I can believe that, especially if we're just talking in terms of physical pain rather than existential dread.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Scaphism. From an ancient greek description:

"[The king] decreed that Mithridates should be put to death in boats; which execution is after the following manner: Taking two boats framed exactly to fit and answer each other, they lay down in one of them the malefactor that suffers, upon his back; then, covering it with the other, and so setting them together that the head, hands, and feet of him are left outside, and the rest of his body lies shut up within.
They offer him food, and if he refuse to eat it, they force him to do it by pricking his eyes; then, after he has eaten, they drench him with a mixture of milk and honey, pouring it not only into his mouth, but all over his face.
They then keep his face continually turned towards the sun; and it becomes completely covered up and hidden by the multitude of flies that settle on it. And as within the boats he does what those that eat and drink must needs do, creeping things and vermin spring out of the corruption and rottenness of the excrement, and these entering into the bowels of him, his body is consumed.
When the man is manifestly dead, the uppermost boat being taken off, they find his flesh devoured, and swarms of such noisome creatures preying upon and, as it were, growing to his inwards. In this way Mithridates, after suffering for seventeen days, at last expired."
That's probably the most horrible I can think of, though it was thankfully rare.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Eaten by army ants would suck....slow and painful.

If your talking real life pain. There was a killer called Richard Kuklinski, he killed for the mob. Worst thing he did was cut people, tie them up and film them why rats ate them alive.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Slowly.
Alone.
In the rain.