The worst way to die?

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
are we going for natural or unnatural deaths? Because I've studied lots of ways to torture and I know lots of ways how-not-to-die. (parts of my history/politics intrests I guess.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So many people saying drowning. As a near-drowning victim, drowning is actually a bit peaceful. Your body is thrashing, reaching, doing ANYTHING it can to get to air, but your brain is just going "uhhhhhhhhhh". Your vision starts blacking out and you just kind of stop thinking. If anything, the worst part of almost drowning is finally breaking the surface and getting an enormous adrenaline boost with awful thoughts of what almost just happened.

OT: Crucifixion is a spectacularly painful way to go. Imagine someone squeezing and crushing your funny bone, and then hanging you from it. The only way if could be worse would be if you were also on fire.

Probably the worst death I've actually witnessed is extremely advanced Alzheimer's disease resulting in death by starvation because the patient forgot how to eat. Nothing challenged my anti-euthanasia stance as much as that. The only upside about the two years of death throes is the fact that the patient is only aware of a few seconds of it at a time.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
OneCatch said:
Scaphism. From an ancient greek description:

"[The king] decreed that Mithridates should be put to death in boats; which execution is after the following manner: Taking two boats framed exactly to fit and answer each other, they lay down in one of them the malefactor that suffers, upon his back; then, covering it with the other, and so setting them together that the head, hands, and feet of him are left outside, and the rest of his body lies shut up within.
They offer him food, and if he refuse to eat it, they force him to do it by pricking his eyes; then, after he has eaten, they drench him with a mixture of milk and honey, pouring it not only into his mouth, but all over his face.
They then keep his face continually turned towards the sun; and it becomes completely covered up and hidden by the multitude of flies that settle on it. And as within the boats he does what those that eat and drink must needs do, creeping things and vermin spring out of the corruption and rottenness of the excrement, and these entering into the bowels of him, his body is consumed.
When the man is manifestly dead, the uppermost boat being taken off, they find his flesh devoured, and swarms of such noisome creatures preying upon and, as it were, growing to his inwards. In this way Mithridates, after suffering for seventeen days, at last expired."
That's probably the most horrible I can think of, though it was thankfully rare.
Oh, the ancient greek. Such funloving pranksters.
While we are at it: The breaking wheel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_wheel] is a medieval execution method in which every bone in you body is broken by dropping the edge of a wheel on it. You might then be executed by dropping it on your head, neck or heart. Your, now floppy, body is then wattled around the wheel's spokes. Sometimes they might wattle you on the wheel before you were killed. A skilled torturer would leave you alive during that process. This is pretty horrific, but let's try to use a bit more fantasy on it and combine it with other torture methods.
If you were alive on the wheel they could use such fun techniques as charring your skin or ripping your flesh with heated pliers, which are also reported measures of torture. They might also pull your finger- and toenails for good measure. Beeing then left to be eaten by scavenging crows and the maggots hatching in your wounds during the follonging days would constitue as the most horrific death I could think of atm.

Another one I have heard of would be beeing bound on top of pointed bamboo and letting it grow threw you.

Or the classic: Crucification.

As for a more likely death: Slowly burning to death sound like the worst of the more "mundane" ways to me.

Atomic Spy Crab said:
Being possessed by a chaos god has got to hurt. (Because demon transformations, and da emprahs wrath)
But at least Chaos rewards those who are willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power.

thaluikhain said:
Hmmm...odd. I was just reading a piece, like last few minutes, about how today is the 40th anniversary of the biggest massacre of gay people in the US.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/06/24/remembering-the-upstairs-lounge-the-u-s-a-s-largest-lgbt-massacre-happened-40-years-ago-today/

Now, dunno about the absolute worst, but being upstairs in your church with your friends when it gets set on fire, trying to squeeze through a window to get out, and getting stuck halfway through and burning to death sounds pretty bad. Bonus points if the police and firecrews don't care too much because you're gay, except you're too dead to know about that.
That's fucking atrocious. It's sad that even today you rarely hear people remembering this event. Society still has a long way to go I think.

TeaCeremony

May 21, 2013
Slowly. Dying slowly via any means would be horrible imo, since dying fast is... well fast to get over. But dying slowly with the knowledge of the fact you are dying is horrible.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
TeaCeremony said:
Slowly. Dying slowly via any means would be horrible imo, since dying fast is... well fast to get over. But dying slowly with the knowledge of the fact you are dying is horrible.
[edgy mode]

And this is why life sucks so hard...it kills everyone, and it kills us slowly...

[/edgy mode]

OK more seriously now, I'd be absolutely willing to sell my soul to the devil (if I hadn't done that already) so that I'd be guaranteed not to die is by suffocating because my throat seized for some reason. That's just cruel.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Alzheimer's or other degenerative neural diseases frighten me, might not be the worst though. Getting tortured to death or burnt alive are probably among the worst, people say being buried alive is but I doubt it. The first few minutes might be utterly terrifying but you don't have much air in a coffin, once oxygen starvation kicks in the victim wouldn't care what was going on.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I dunno, burning? But surviving for a while? And getting to a hospital where they try to save your life? But then you get infections all over your destroyed skin? But not destroyed enough for the nerves to be dead and numbed? And then, eventually, after weeks of suffering, you die? I dunno. Just one awful way. There are plenty awful ones.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Skeleon said:
I dunno, burning? But surviving for a while? And getting to a hospital where they try to save your life? But then you get infections all over your destroyed skin? But not destroyed enough for the nerves to be dead and numbed? And then, eventually, after weeks of suffering, you die? I dunno. Just one awful way. There are plenty awful ones.
I was informed that your pain receptors would burn away rather fast so the pain would stop quickly and you would suffocate quite fast after that.

Edit: I guess if you survive it's a different story.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Being fried alive on a large metal floor. It would be like burning some bacon, just you on the other side.
Standing on your feet until you can't feel the pain anymore because the pain receptors near your feet have burnt away, and then you fall down on your knees or back.

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
How the ebola virus ruins your day:

"He becomes dizzy and utterly weak, and his spine goes limp and nerveless and he loses all sense of balance. The room is turning around and around. He is going into shock. He leans over, head on his knees, and brings up an incredible quantity of blood from his stomach and spills it onto the floor with gasping groan. He loses consciousness and pitches forward onto the floor. The only sound is a chocking in his throat as he continues to vomit while unconscious. Then comes a sound like a bedsheet being torn in half, which is the sound of his bowels opening and venting blood from the anus. The blood is mixed with intestinal lining. He has sloughed his gut. The lining of his intestines have come off and are being expelled along with huge amounts of blood. Monet has crashed and is bleeding out."

(excerpt from Richard Preston's The Hot Zone)

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Angering a time lord. Since then, you won't die.
<youtube=jfGWRccHLRY>
"We wanted to live forever, and so the Doctor made sure we did."

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
- Pitchblack room
- Conveyor belt floor made of sandpaper, moving slowly
- Alone and no way out
- Slowly sanded to death over days due to fatigue

That or the Brazen Bull.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Without sedation and possibly with a drug injected to keep you perfectly still but conscious, your eyes are gauged out, then your eardrums and middle & inner ear are drilled out to take away your sense of hearing and balance, followed by your nose being cut off and straws being inserted under your fingernails.

After that you are left disoriented for a while before being slowly roasted or dissolved in an acidic substance.

That's pretty much the worst I can imagine and I'm already pretty disgusted at imagining something like that.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
A car crash. That's one of my few phobias, and it's the #1 reason I won't drive anywhere during the winter when the roads are icy. I'd hate to die mangled and bled out like that.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Esotera said:
Probably having a starved rat inserted into one of your orifices through a pipe & eating you from the inside out...that was possibly one of the most messed up things I've ever read.
American Psycho was a strange book...

OT: Being flayed from top to bottom, or bottom to top.

Sep 24, 2008
Really, I didn't think I'd be the one to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zcaL35f8ps

Imagine begging for someone to kill you because it would be kinder than what they are about to do to you? I liked Johnny up to that point. I mean, I still do. But that takes a sick fucker to do. One bullet, it's done and over. But you're subjecting someone to a death that couldn't even come quick enough, and no possible way to cause it to end the suffering quicker.

Worse yet, he didn't wake up in that situation. He has days to realize that everything he's done led up to that point. If he was stronger, if he was smarter, if he just decided to program computers for a living, he wouldn't be slowly starving to death... laying in his own waste and probably even contemplating ingesting it just to keep the pain away. His bones and joints locking, his muscle crying out in pain as they waste away on one side and the sheer weight of his body inevitably crushes the left side of his body.

All he can do is sit there, and pray it comes quicker.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've went over this in my head a probably disturbing number of times over my life.
And in the end I cannot think of another worse (realistic) way to die than by burning.

Everyone has burnt their finger by touching a hot pan, or stove or what have you.
Remember how that feels? When for a split second the only thing you can think of is how fast you can move your hand away from the source of the pain?

Can anyone really truly imagine what that would feel like if applied to your whole body? And no way to get away from it?

That's fucking nightmarish.