The WoW Killer has finally arrived

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:
Didn't League of Legends surpass WoW or something? I don't know, I don't play either game.
You're thinking of the # of hours played... which isn't really that big a deal.

They are two completely seperate games, genres, and playstyles.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
Didn't League of Legends surpass WoW or something? I don't know, I don't play either game.
I believe LoL has more players than WoW, but as it's neither an MMO nor an RPG (or at least not an RPG in the same way WoW is an RPG) they don't really compete at all.

Orks da best said:
because of the game's strangle-hold on the mmo genre? If Wow didn't exist, the mmo as a genre would be more progessive.
I think it's significantly more likely that without WoW people would've just copy-pasted whatever the next most successful MMO was.

Sep 17, 2009
aguspal said:
Why do people want to kill WOW?

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?
This.

Dear lord people, it's a video game that makes a lot of people happy.

If you don't like it, don't play it, but no need to wish for its demise.

It's a video game.

Sep 17, 2009
Jaeke said:
aguspal said:
Why do people want to kill WOW?

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?
While I appreciate it for the memories, it did take up almost 5 1/2 years of my life (and I'm sure there are many of thousands who can say this same exact thing.)

And it kind of ruined MMO's too :p
How is it WoW's fault that other developers chose to be lazy and continue on using the same mechanics as Everquest?

It didn't ruin MMO's, lazy developer's did.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
My understanding of the cross realm zones is that, should a zone be fairly empty, they'll 'share' that zone with other servers, so that you'll see other players and can team up if you'd like. You're not taken away from your server, or cut off from guild or friends, just opened up to some more players.

I am however surprised that they're so against server merges, but perhaps they foresaw many people returning to the game now the new expansion has landed, and therefore didn't wish to make any moves like that until they could gauge the numbers.

I should however say, that despite a few bugs and glitches, from being in game and actually talking to real players, the feeling is overwhelmingly positive.

Surely we should hold the opinions of players as more worthwhile than random ranty haters jumping on a passing bandwagon? (Not the OP, just the general level of WOW hate).

After all, this expansion was met with 'lolz kung fu panda, made for kids, gonna fail so hard, death of WOW'

Cataclysm was met with 'lolz gonna fail so hard', a similar tone was voiced with Wrath and the Burning Crusade. While I realise it's not growing any more, it's still doing just fine.

There's a lot of quality stuff being created by Blizzard's people for this game, but the trouble is (I dont know current numbers, but...) if you have 10 million players, and 1% don't like a feature, that's 100,000 players, many of whom will be voicing their opinions in game, and by forums and message boards and social media. It's tough to not see huge problems then, even tho, it's only 1%.

Lastly there's the 'lol it's all too easy' crowd, who seemed to think that Blizzard spending all their money on creating end game content that only a tiny fraction of their player base would ever see is a good move. All Blizzard have done is offer easier modes, so the content can be enjoyed by more people. If you want it epic hard, there's those options open to you, and you'll earn rewards consummate with your skill and effort.

Sep 17, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
League of Legends has more registered users, but WoW has more active players.

A lot of people just make LoL accounts and never play.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
How can you kill that which has no life?
Back to the point - I don't care anymore. It had drained my interest in MMOs of any sort to zero.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
People waste way too much time talking and arguing about shit they hate.
Just... move on.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
phreakdb said:
As it is, I am not an avid fan of WoW. I have told the people I socialize with that the reason I quit WoW was because it turned into Facebook with a video game UI. Add to that the removal of challenge and you have a formula for failure in my book.

It would seem however, and I am estimating here, that there are at the very least 20000 people, many with multiple accounts, or posting for their 100 member count guilds, saying they hate a new feature called CRZ. (There are actually around 2 15000 post threads full, and still rising. However, there are some responses in there every few posts saying "This is Great!!!" by griefers)

What is CRZ you might ask? It is apparently the bane of a great many WoW players. It is Cross Realm Zones. Blizzard has come up with an (apparently faulty) algorithm that yanks you off of your home server, and deposits you elsewhere. It has lead to an explosion of corpse camping, node farming, and people having presumably wasted millions of dollars on server transfers and the like.

And Blizzard continues to remain 'Committed' to the mechanic. It would seem, that ultimately, WoW has been killed by the only game it could be killed by: WoW.
Why is this bad? I know the big problem with leveling and having no one in the leveling zone that you're in because you are in an old realm with a tonne of level capped players. This seems like a great idea to fix that. As for the algorithm being faulty, progress always is. They will update it and work on it until its perfect.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Damn, that does sound terrible. I used to love my old server, Bladefist, for being pretty small but really tight in terms of the on-server community. We had our own little groups, our own little dramas and our own battle between the Horde and the Alliance. Friendships were made, guilds were founded, rivalries got started, you name it. It was still going pretty okay in the early days of WotLK; people actually cared about winning Wintergrasp battles.

But the more cross-realm stuff came along, the more that community feel started to fade away. And that's one of the main reasons why I kept playing WoW as long as I did. But sadly the game's Massively Multiplayer started feeling very cold and impersonal.

A damn shame it is and this CRZ crap is just making it worse.
SecretNegative said:
WoW has a lot of grinding, and WoW makes a lot of money, this makes publishers think it goes hand in hand and they make a WoW-clone in an attempt to cash in on the MMO-wave, setting a very sterile and boring nature of MMO:s
No. No it does not.

Get to level 20+ in FLYFF or 60+ in ROSE Online or almost any other F2P Korean MMO. Then we'll talk about grinding.

Especially the recent expansions made WoW nearly grind-free if you choose to play it that way. Hell when I was still a hardcore raider back in TBC days I only had to grind for high-end raiding flasks and the likes. It got even less in WotLK and Cata especially thanks to the incredibly diversified leveling content compared to other MMO's.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
But we've had our very own WoW Killer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/WoW+Killer] on The Escapist for a while now!

[sub]I have no view on the actual thing you're on about mind, I just remembered that there was a user called that.[/sub]

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
There is definitely truth behind the thread title and the ending of the post. The only game able to kill WoW is WoW itself. So many 'wow killers' have come and gone in the past and none of them succeeded. So only WoW can kill itself. And it's doing a decent job at it already from what I'm seeing and hearing. Making one bad decision after another probably in the hopes to draw in more players or keep players that are leaving. Yet it seems to have the opposite effect.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW itself. After the 10 000 expansions and montlhy subscribtions, nobody will play this.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
I fail to see how CRZ has much in relation with being corpse camped and node farming. Its the launch of a new expo which everybody racing to the next level cap and every resource and quest mob being in extremely high demand so if your on a PvP realm then expect a ton of murders. I guess for people playing on PvP servers that are 90% faction A and 10% faction B or even worse servers that are just empty, I'm guessing they are upset that they can't farm an empty server or have complete faction dominance.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Cross Realm Zones kill WoW. Ha. No. It's not gonna do anything, because you'll still be able to chat with anyone in your guild and party. 90% of the time, I really could care less about what goes on in /1.

Also, "WoW Killer" seems to be interchangable with "Doomed MMO", doesn't it? Every single game that's been dubbed "WoW killer" has gone free to play or shut down.

SecretNegative said:
WoW has a lot of grinding, and WoW makes a lot of money, this makes publishers think it goes hand in hand and they make a WoW-clone in an attempt to cash in on the MMO-wave, setting a very sterile and boring nature of MMO:s
Wrong. Go play FLYFF (after level 20 or so on gpotato's servers) or another Korean MMO for awhile, then we'll talk abut "a lot of grinding".

The only time people really grind is to exalt out reputations. Granted, there's leveling, but it doesn't feel like an up-hill grind off most of the time.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Rastien said:
I had heard this was causing a massive shit storm, it sounds like wow is trying to do a similar thing to guild wars 2 with "overflow" servers but hasn't quite got it right.
This is exactly what I thought. I played WoW for years and the servers were always fine as they were. Do we know why Blizz wanted to screw with them like this?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
crono738 said:
Rastien said:
I had heard this was causing a massive shit storm, it sounds like wow is trying to do a similar thing to guild wars 2 with "overflow" servers but hasn't quite got it right.
This is exactly what I thought. I played WoW for years and the servers were always fine as they were. Do we know why Blizz wanted to screw with them like this?
I'm not entirely sure... i would assume it's just to deal with the sheer number of people accessing the new mists servers. But from what i have heard Blizzard are now able to apply patches whilst servers are live. As the mists opening event had no down time from what people at work were saying, it went live at 23:53 or something like that.