Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

Apr 15, 2009
well then the time i spent playing diablo 2 could have been replicated by snorting 100+ lines of cocaine? thats seems kinda fishy I'm going to go test it out brb, going to Charlie Sheens place.

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
Of course the kids will react if someone took the controller out of their hands! You know, in the same way everyone reacts when interrupted... And this was supposed to prove his point?

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah I'm sorry but as a kid, if a parent was taking the controller out of my hand, I knew what was next, they were going to hit the power switch and screw up my save, yeah there's a bad reaction about to happen.

And since when is snatching ok? didn't this douche's kindergarten teacher teach him not to snatch stuff out of peoples hands?

I'd react poorly if I was using/doing anything and you interrupted me, games, reading, girlfriend, eating, listening, fapping (unless you're the girlfriend), remoting, working, etc.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Captain Placeholder said:
Actually someone did die. I think it was the Sale of GTA4 or the PS3, but someone was shot when he had a copy and someone stole it. Not sure. Could be wrong.

Then again that would be ONE case of violence, when we have millions for every drug in existence.
I'm pretty sure when somebody is shot, it wasn't the game that directly killed them. Rather, it was a person shooting another person. This would be like saying Cocaine kills people because a drug dealer shot somebody for not paying up money. It isn't the game or the coke killing someone, it's the actions of other people and outside influences.

Cocaine on it's own can kill somebody. I don't see any games that can do similar.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
This "therapist" is actually encouraging this:

http://img577.imageshack.us/i/goofytimexbox360.jpg

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
holy shit lmao! I really like that last line
Andy Chalk said:
Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said. As for the claims about sleep disruption that started the whole mess, he said staying up late to play videogames causes an "endorphin high in [kids'] brains," leading to a "chemical imbalance" that disrupts behavior and learning.
Yeah i guess that could get the same effect... So could taking a cheese steak away from me right as i'm about to take a bite. You know i think you could do the same thing if you sat down on the couch next to me and started channel surfing while i'm watching my favorite show as well.

In any case, according to this guy i am a certified gaming junkie! Damn how did i EVER get through that 2 month long summer vacation out to the national parks on the west coast (of america) without a regular fix of the good stuff! You'd think that i had spent the entire time curled up in a ball shaking uncontrollably! Unless you had seen me... In which case i may never have touched the stuff my entire life for all you know!

Oh btw... that "endorphin high" that disrupts behavior and learning? You know, the one that comes from gaming instead of sleeping? Yeah, it's called lack of sleep. Caused by... not getting 8 hours of sleep each night. It doesn't matter WHY you didn't get them, only THAT you didn't get them. ( mean the disrupted behavior and learning, not necessarily the high)

Cap'n Moe

Apr 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm just wondering how you grind the games up into powder.

BTW, which games is Charlie Sheen playing?
Call of Duty: Black Ops apparently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0at81C9xN20

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
You might as well say sex is corrupting this generation! "Sex causes an endorphin rush in the brain, therefor it is EVVUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL!"
Well, these are Catholics we're talking about.

But relating to the article, yeah, the guy's a fuckwit. The facts do not back up what he's saying. Except the bit about the endorphin high causing people to have difficulty sleeping. That actually can happen. I suppose technically so can the addiction, but people can show addictive behavior over just about anything.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
Oh so he didn't what happend to the Rape lady talking about Bulletstorm did he? Well then... my fellow geeks! lets get amazon bombing!

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
GiantRaven said:
Has a video game ever directly killed anyone (as in, not died due to neglect of survival needs)? I'm fairly certain the answer is "no".

Has Cocaine? Yup.

I fail to see the parallels here and I completely fail to see how video games are a "silent killer".

Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze.
I'd probably react the same if somebody walked up to me and snatched, to arbitrarily pick something, an ice cream out of my hands. That doesn't mean ice cream is bad, it just means I was enjoying my goddamn ice cream!

Buh. This story melts my brain.
Actually someone did die. I think it was the Sale of GTA4 or the PS3, but someone was shot when he had a copy and someone stole it. Not sure. Could be wrong.

Then again that would be ONE case of violence, when we have millions for every drug in existence.
Unfortunately there is also that woman who shook her baby to death because his crying was interrupting her farmville. Or maybe i'm only remembering the spin that was put on the story, in any case any such stories seem far more common than they actually are because they get so much attention. And when crack kills it's just old news so most of it gets ignored.

*edit* my bad looks like i managed to write my bit inside the quotation, somehow.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
My reaction will be the same if anything is snatched out of my hands be that an xbox controller, book, sandwich or a cup of tea
and that will be a "What the Fuck?"

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
That's a fallacy if I ever saw one...

So, okay, let's accept for a fact that videogames do produce the same high in the brain as cocaine does (I still don't know this guy is not making that up). So videogames are exactly like cocaine, and therefore bad, right?

Not so; cocaine is bad not because of the high it gives, but because of the chemical side effects it causes on the body. Those side effects are obviously not present in the case of videogames. So the comparison is stupid, to put it gently.

In fact, if we also want to play at this logic-bending game, we could say the comparison is even flattering to videogames: if they give a cocaine high without the cocaine side effects, that is all for the better, right?

See? Using distorted logic to prove our own point is easy and fun!

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
How many points did he raise? Four? In that case: No, no, no and no.
And all of my responses can actually be backed by unbiased scientific data.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
As everyone has been saying, if I am doing something and I am interrupted, I won't be happy with you, it doesn't necessarily have to be a game. It could be a TV programme I am watching, or if I am on the phone and someone comes up to me and starts randomly talking to me. I haven't played a videogame in ages and I didn't suffer any kind of withdrawal, delirium tremins or anything like that, which usually accompanies going "cold turkey" with a lot of addictive substances, so equating games with alcoholism or drug addiction is ludicrous. It is a form of entertainment, rather like reading a book, or watching television. Nothing more, nothing less in my eyes.

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said. As for the claims about sleep disruption that started the whole mess, he said staying up late to play videogames causes an "endorphin high in [kids'] brains," leading to a "chemical imbalance" that disrupts behavior and learning.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43423/Two-hours-gaming-a-line-of-cocaine]

Ya, but they will also react if you take there favorite book, favorite candy bar, or favorite anything out of their hands. If my parents came up to my as a kid and took my sketchbook away from me-- i'd react too. I'd react because I'm a kid and that's my toy. It's one of the most important things in my life. Someone take away that guy's house or car or job and see if he reacts badly.

And for your information, "Mr. Expert", i use games to WAKE myself up. And i have a sleep disorder, so it's actually normal for me to get tired easily.

It's true that some kids just like how you say. SOME. But not everyone gets addicted to alcohol and not everyone gets addicted to games.

ecyor0

Dec 7, 2010
"Kids, do an experiment for me. Go down to the living room, and try to take the cup of coffee your parent is drinking out of their hands. They'll react the way an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary."

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
My xbox was broken for two weeks you now what I did, Just got on with my life like normal I am quite sure that doesn't happen if someone doesn't get cocaine fro two weeks after using it all their spare time.