They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The link doesn't quite work for those who aren't in the server. Got a screencap or a text paste?
Ahh shite. Here’s a text version -

$5 Tier Update - Dropping Early Access Model, Replacing with Ad-Free Podcasts & Columns
15 hours ago
Hey folks!

After a big organization meeting today, the team has decided to make a few updates to our tiers on Patreon, namely the $5 tier currently called, Early Access.

As a reminder, we did not plan to launch the Patreon as fast as we did lol. Someone found it before it was ready so we had basically just copy pasted the previous tiers we offered back at The Escapist over.

After some consideration, we want to make sure our videos are released to the widest possible audience and so we are going to forego the Early Access model and just release our videos at the same time for everyone.

With the amount of support we've already received we want to make sure we're not segmenting our audience, and feedback from those of you in the Discord made it clear you're in favor of this change and didn't like Early Access anyways.

What's the $5 tier updating to?
You didn't think we were just gonna remove something and not give you something back, did ya?

The $5 tier will be renamed to the Podcast / Columns tier which will provide you with completely ad-free podcasts (we're figuring out delivery method on that, stay tuned) and we're moving our written columns out of the $10 tier and into the $5 tier.

So that means if you're at the $5 tier you will now receive TWO Darren Mooney columns a week. One on Monday and one on Friday, and soon Marty Sliva will also be adding a column to our Patreon. We'll have more details on that soon.
----------------------
We hope these changes make sense and that you're happy with them. It's going to make our lives a lot easier not having to deliver videos to a bunch of different places all the time.
Sponsor-free videos will have their own playlist which will be unlisted and delivered to the Sponsor-free tier ($10) and above when they're available, but comments will be disabled on them so that we drive engagement to the public version primarily. Again, this is to make sure we're not segmenting our audience.

Thanks everyone and if you have any questions about these changes, leave them below!

Nick Calandra
Director of Content

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Did they switch yellow for red? It... probably can work, I'm feeling a bit negative about it right now though.

I might just be stuck on what I am accustomed to.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did they switch yellow for red? It... probably can work, I'm feeling a bit negative about it right now though.

I might just be stuck on what I am accustomed to.
With a dog character and a different face, it seems.
Red is my favorite color, so I'm already used to it. You'll grow accustomed to this new theme at some point, but it will be difficult.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
As I recall it, Fully Ramblomatic was what Yahtzee’s very first few reviews on YouTube were called. And I do mean that, like we’re talking his review of Heavenly Sword (fuck you Yahtz, that game was gold :p) as a PS3 launch title old.
Heavenly Sword is the best God of War game, the combat system was actually better than any of the GOWs.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
With a dog character and a different face, it seems.
Oh, that's a dog! I couldn't quite figure out the orientation. Maybe that's a representation of Yahtzee's real-life dog (whose name escapes me at the moment), going the path of Luda from Design Delve.

Also, Yahtzee has said he hasn't worn that tribly in years, so I suppose he was okay with the opportunity to ditch it on his avatar.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The white triangle is a nose; the circle is an eye; the black triangle is a folded-over ear.
THERE we go, now it finally clicked. I kept trying to look at it like it was facing the user head on, but it's orientated to be facing right... no wonder I was lost.
D'aw, I like the dog idea, that's fun

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Debuts tomorrow on Thursday at 12:00 p.m.

I just realized he named the new series after his blog site that he hasn't posted on in years. I remember when I would check that site for posts on the regs, but that was like ten years ago.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
At the very least I appreciate Yahtzee being able to continue doing the same thing by simply changing the colors and calling it something else. Like one week after quitting and without missing a beat. Mad Men style.

I also think he always wanted a partnership, deep down. He had that one-off gaming news channel with friends that didn't take off, then tried again with the Mana Bar and that was a fiasco. Always felt like he had to settle for the lone wolf thing when ZP became a hit. Not that it was a bad thing but I get the impression he's grateful for finally building something with other people (since he's shelling out big time for Second Wind) instead of merely clocking in.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Interview:
I've only watched the first 8 minutes.
Interesting bit of tidbit: when GAMURS first bought the site, Nick and Yahtzee had floated the idea of buying The Escapist themselves.
They also said that the The Escapist discord had ~5000 members and Second Wind has gathered up 30000, which they found humbling.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
At the very least I appreciate Yahtzee being able to continue doing the same thing by simply changing the colors and calling it something else. Like one week after quitting and without missing a beat. Mad Men style.

I also think he always wanted a partnership, deep down. He had that one-off gaming news channel with friends that didn't take off, then tried again with the Mana Bar and that was a fiasco. Always felt like he had to settle for the lone wolf thing when ZP became a hit. Not that it was a bad thing but I get the impression he's grateful for finally building something with other people (since he's shelling out big time for Second Wind) instead of merely clocking in.
What happened with Mana Bar? That news show was pretty good at the time I remember enjoying it. Unpolished but promising.