Things From Skyrim You'd Like to See in Fallout 4

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
I'd like to see weather, a ton more interesting random and amusing characters like Harold, a system of perks and skills that do not make you grotesquely overpowered/underpowered in later levels, Plot arcs that do not end with disappointment (I'm looking at you skyrim mage tower quests.)

REAL CARE PUT INTO DIALOGUE this time. like in the original two fallout games. not saying fallout 3 was bad, but it was no baldur's gate or fallout 2.

and tons of cool things to do that are not entirely just exploration/killing things. i.e: RPG elements and loads of them.

funny references to pop culture, and current events.

Bifford

Sep 30, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
Duel Wielding (I want to roleplay a Gunslinger, dammit)

I'd also like to see Skyrim's weather system.
Two reasons I wouldn't like this:
1) Dual wielding pistols is a lot less accurate and practical than handling a single pistol with both hands. Then again, this might be true for swords.

2) There isn't as much variety to Fallout weapons as there are in Skyrim. In Skyrim, you can wield a frost weapon in one hand and a healing spell in the other. In Fallout, there isn't enough diversity in weapons or enemy weaknesses to justify this. What good exactly would there be in wielding a laser pistol in one hand and a 9mm in the other?

Starblazer117

Jan 21, 2009
Dual Wielding
Refined Crafting system (Keep the Rock-It Launcher, I want to be able to kill people and make their heads explode with teddy bears again).
The conversation system where time doesn't stop.
Kill moves
Weather System.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Bifford said:
Binnsyboy said:
Duel Wielding (I want to roleplay a Gunslinger, dammit)

I'd also like to see Skyrim's weather system.
Two reasons I wouldn't like this:
1) Dual wielding pistols is a lot less accurate and practical than handling a single pistol with both hands. Then again, this might be true for swords.

2) There isn't as much variety to Fallout weapons as there are in Skyrim. In Skyrim, you can wield a frost weapon in one hand and a healing spell in the other. In Fallout, there isn't enough diversity in weapons or enemy weaknesses to justify this. What good exactly would there be in wielding a laser pistol in one hand and a 9mm in the other?
Well, that's another thing. Expanded weapon variety. That would really hammer home the 'using what survived' feel, rather than everything feeling so standard issue.

And it'd be a trade off. Instead of 'well you might as well have two pistols!' it'd be trading some accuracy for a bit more firepower. Though I imagine there'd be perks if you wanted to be a badass sharpshooting akimbo.

Edit: And yes, it is true for swords. Doesn't stop me enjoying running around with a pair of axes in Skyrim.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
NickBrahz said:
1. Same (Or similar) leveling system, i like how if i want to level up a specific skill i have to use that specific skill, ive never pickpocketed before but somehow im already rank 50 at it.

2. Duel wield small weapons, 2 sub-machines guns or 2 pistols, or use a big rifle instead that counts as a 2 hander.

3. More character creation variety, i don't expect to run around as a ghoul or super mutant but more expanding options of hair, face, weight etc would be good.

4. Some sort of sprinting method, i hate just teleporting from here to there but its just to slow to walk.

5. Now this isn't from skyrim but who cares, some sort of ability to combine 2 pieces of armor (Not repair) lets say for this example its a chestpiece:

I like the look of Chest A.
But chest B has better stats.
I choose to go to a certain NPC (theres say 2 or 3 in the game at certain towns).
He charges me a chunk of money (Alot so you dont do it every 10 minutes but not enough to make you broke.
He gives me a chestpiece with the visuals of Chest A, but the stats of Chest B.
I'd go with 2 3 and 4, but changing how leveling works makes it not fallout anymore,also armour isn't about appearance, this isn't an mmo, you won't likely see another player, and having a leather jacket with the same stats as powered armour would be retarded and immersion breaking, after all, there's nothing stopping you from wearing whatever you want and I dunno, dodging more? Or if you wanna rock a suit all the time play a charisma character who doesn't walk into a firefight like some superhuman armour monster.

it's a role playing game, based in a world with limitations like any other world, adding shields like somoene suggested, or allowing magical transmorgrified gear that takes "stats" which when you look at it in a game like fallout are simply principals attatched to the kind of materials and building process used, see leather armour vs metal armour in the originals and even in the newer ones, leather gives less protection but allows more movement, metal is a bit betterat deflecting fire, but heavy, powered armour has servos and machines allowing it to carry itself to a degree, if you took the "stats" of any one kind of armour(only a retard would choose to put stats of leather armour on something heavier for instance, so we're assuming that people will likely always choose the better(see heavier more manufactured) armour) and sticking it on another, is ridiculous in this context, as the only way to rationalize it is MAGIC or NANOMACHINES(see magic but for sci-fi) and the post apocalyptic world fallout is based in does not support it in the least, and it would derail anything it had going for it in terms of stable continuity... just sayin.

also on the topic of shields, if you let people use shields, you gotta let NPCs use em too... now, how many of you would really want to fight raiders who suddenly have this big area on their bodies immune to incoming fire, who can now block your vats melee attacks(only fair right?) throwing a variable only capable of causing a degree of frustration to any players not specced into explosives or splash causing energy weapons.

certain enemies could have a shield, that would be cool, but if you put it in as equipment it would be more than just a headache with all the balancing issues to gameplay, and how many things they'd have to change in the overall game model to be worth the effort...

so yeah, what I want to see, is the conversational system, the graphical muscle upgrade that comes with the engine change, and maybe dual wielding.

and hopefully they get the humour style, voice acting, and character personality thing right this time, I found the most immersion breaking thing in fallout 3 was by far the npcs and how they acted and spoke... it was a far sight better than oblivion, and skyrim had it decidedly better than fallout 3, so hopefully they continue the trend.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
DoomyMcDoom said:
NickBrahz said:
1. Same (Or similar) leveling system, i like how if i want to level up a specific skill i have to use that specific skill, ive never pickpocketed before but somehow im already rank 50 at it.

2. Duel wield small weapons, 2 sub-machines guns or 2 pistols, or use a big rifle instead that counts as a 2 hander.

3. More character creation variety, i don't expect to run around as a ghoul or super mutant but more expanding options of hair, face, weight etc would be good.

4. Some sort of sprinting method, i hate just teleporting from here to there but its just to slow to walk.

5. Now this isn't from skyrim but who cares, some sort of ability to combine 2 pieces of armor (Not repair) lets say for this example its a chestpiece:

I choose to go to a certain NPC (theres say 2 or 3 in the game at certain towns).
He charges me a chunk of money (Alot so you dont do it every 10 minutes but not enough to make you broke.
I'd go with 2 3 and 4, but changing how leveling works makes it not fallout anymore,also armour isn't about appearance, this isn't an mmo, you won't likely see another player, and having a leather jacket with the same stats as powered armour would be retarded and immersion breaking, after all, there's nothing stopping you from wearing whatever you want and I dunno, dodging more? Or if you wanna rock a suit all the time play a charisma character who doesn't walk into a firefight like some superhuman armour monster.

- Snip -
While we are all entitled to our own opinions and i do respect where your coming from, but just because you would not use the feature and not like it, why would the rest of us that wan't it be denied it? I mean your not forced to use the armour option and you can just ignore it and people like me who want to use it can.
Theres features in Skyrim, FO3 and FONV that i don't particularly like or use but it doesn't mean i would want it cut from the game,

Yes the fallout world has limitations, but those limitations are depicted by the fallout world and just because it can't happen in the real world doesn't mean it can't in the fallout world.
There is all sorts of really advanced technology so i don't think it would be immersion breaking, i mean there are things in the game that are more far-fetched and immersion breaking then that.

And with shields, i mean i wouldn't mind them in the game, yes NPCs should be able to use them if they are added, say a raider will have a weak one that absorbs 20 damage but shields BOS use might absorb 100 for example.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
NickBrahz said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
NickBrahz said:

- Snip -
*snip*
the shields thing was about plates of metal, like on your arm that deflect bullets not sci-fi styled shields that absorb damage a bit... that's what armour is for, rather in an overal mitigatory sense, but the math equals out the same,those wouldn't be entirely undesirable... just redundant and pointless.

also the technology you would need to put statistical factors involved in something like armour which gains it's propperties entirely through what it's made of, how it's layered and how it's shaped, (and the fallout universe doesn't ignore this) and put it on something else, is a technology that even by the standards of an advanced technology, would be impossible for people to reproduce and manufacture efficiently in a world like the fallout world, also if you allow tech wizardry like artificial holographic armour with internalized ballistic shielding, we may as well just call it halo, at world's end or some bullshit and give everyone nanoshields that can take hella punishment, and regen, oh and while we're at it, make it in space too, because any society built from the ashes of a ruined civilization seeing that they have few if any resources, left and are capable of achieving levels of scientific advancement so far superior to the technology required to travel outside of an atmosphere, hell may as well make it on mars... if you take too many liberties with technology or magic within any continuity it can easily destroy everything that made it unique or even believable, the fallout world is already a heavily established world with limitations VERY similiar to those we experience in real life with a few liberties(stimpacks, vats, and the skill/attribute system)added to make it more enjoyable as a GAME, as someone who has played every game aside from the bastardized console shooter they made(for god knows what reason, if not the obvious name cash in BS), and even though 3 did stray a bit, at least it held true to a general world ideal, and felt at least relatively the same, considering the change in devs/writers, and going from top down isometric, to first/third person, it is perfectly acceptable... but if they did indeed stray that far in breaking apart and raping established limitations in place througout the rest of the series, it wouldn't do anyone any favours, and would likely ruin the franchise.

another thing, there is a big difference between adding a gameplay feature, and adding a canon breaking lore defiling technology to the game world, this isn't like adding iron sights, or slo mo replays or some shit, this is like taking a game set in a minorly historically and technically remodeled game about medievil combat, say there's a rapid firing crossbow or something that changes things, and there are dragons for whatever reason... then saying that for some damn reason they know how to make laser weaponry, but yeah it's totally rad, cuz you don't have to use it...

especially if that game had been around for going on 30 years worth of players learning the lore, and it wasn't anywhere even hinted at that there might be tech ANYWHERE in the universe and suddenly the kings all interact using cell phones and one of the knights rocks an invulnerable armani suit. that kinda bullshit can always be reasoned away witha "you could just ignore it" fact,but same goes with someone raping a childhood friend, you could ignore it, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened does it?

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
DoomyMcDoom said:
The shield thing i wouldn't be torn if it or isn't added, and if it is i think either type (Metal plating on your arm or some energy shield) would be fitting, if balanced correctly.

And with the stat thing i don't mean walking around with 50 armour in a silk suit or something, would be the same "Class" of armour, i personally like to use Heavy Armor so i would like to use the stats of say BOS power armour for some over Energy armour for example.

And yes i agree that the fallout world is almost the same as the Real world, with exceptions and more advanced of course.

And i don't think adding this option would be major game-breaking as you make it out to be, and we have only seen a handful of fallout locations and each game adds some sort of new awesome technology and i think it would be fairly easy to make it make sense immersion wise, i mean say you give the armour to the guy and maybe he somehow mends them into the armour, which actually brings up another point, i think it would be awesome if you could give 2 pieces of similar armour to a guy and it would average out the stats but make it look like both of them melded together.

But when it comes down to a small feature like this it would be easy to just ignore it if you wanted to (Granted if they made it make sense) and im sorry but comparing a game feature to a child being raped is just overboard and frankly disturbing to even bring something like that up, theres plenty of other things you could have compared it to...

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
NickBrahz said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
The shield thing i wouldn't be torn if it or isn't added, and if it is i think either type (Metal plating on your arm or some energy shield) would be fitting, if balanced correctly.

And with the stat thing i don't mean walking around with 50 armour in a silk suit or something, would be the same "Class" of armour, i personally like to use Heavy Armor so i would like to use the stats of say BOS power armour for some over Energy armour for example.

And yes i agree that the fallout world is almost the same as the Real world, with exceptions and more advanced of course.

And i don't think adding this option would be major game-breaking as you make it out to be, and we have only seen a handful of fallout locations and each game adds some sort of new awesome technology and i think it would be fairly easy to make it make sense immersion wise, i mean say you give the armour to the guy and maybe he somehow mends them into the armour, which actually brings up another point, i think it would be awesome if you could give 2 pieces of similar armour to a guy and it would average out the stats but make it look like both of them melded together.

But when it comes down to a small feature like this it would be easy to just ignore it if you wanted to (Granted if they made it make sense) and im sorry but comparing a game feature to a child being raped is just overboard and frankly disturbing to even bring something like that up, theres plenty of other things you could have compared it to...
I agree that to a certain extent that could work, but since it already does, maybe you mean a basic paint scheme style armour changing, because honestly the way the armour works in that game is simple, and has always been simple, if you want to wear a suit of armour that looks truly unique in a post apocalyptic setting may I suggest playinf fallen earth, it's free to play now, if you haven't played it you may want to give it a shot.

Thing is, being a single player game I have very strong doubts that they would put so much effort as to incorporate something that made changes on a very superficial level such as having the same class of armour be "meldable" and even then where does the melding start and stop, do you just want certain servos and lights swapped? or a few plates, because if you get down to that level, it starts to get ridiculously overcomplicated and unnecessary.

Now I admit describing it as akin to rape is not the most optimal use of our language for anything other than attention stealing hyperbole, but I have seen worse, someone once desccribed the poor ending of mass effect 3 as akin to the holocaust, and deliberately attempting to commit an act of genocide resulting in millions of innocent people being murdered enmasse in the least respectable way possible, herded onto trains and herded into ovens and gas chambers then burried in unmarked mass graves, not even identified by family names, seen only as cattle to be destroyed rather than as people... you get the idea, sometimes we humans use our language skills innapropriately or in the heat of the moment.

I'm tired, and sleep will not come to me, sadly that is how things are, fortunately even in my worst state I'm more controlled than most people I know, so there is that...

Anyhow, sorry to ramble, still, when it comes down to it, it all comes down to if it is implemented to be respectful of lore and established canon, or don't bother wasting the huge added budget to crowbar a merely visual wardrobe emprettyment device into the game.

And with the shields, you'd have to limit the size to say a manhole or something similiar, and have heavy recoil if hit by say a shotgun or high calibre rifle so that a shot can be made to the center mass, otherwise it would be imbalanced and fun damaging, but it could be implemented, I just personally don't see the need, in a ruined city, or in most natural habitats there's more than enough cover, and the way they've layed out damage thresholds and whatnot I've never had a problem making a melee character viable outside of 3, because I swear in that game everyone but you gets a 10X damage boost to melee, and a huge buff to armour against, new vegas corrected that sufficiently, and it became much much more workable, you just had to be smart enough to dodge behind shit and not run straight at enemies with guns/rocket launchers.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Dual-wielding would be pretty cool. Perhaps one perk for dual-wielding pistols/SMGs and another for larger weapons (which would require more Strength).
DAT DUEL-WIELD.

In terms of mechanics? Maybe the neutral-ground things like conversation system, weather system, physics, and definitely something other than a deathclaw that makes my underwear purchases more frequent.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Durzo_Blint said:
I don't understand the hate Fallout 3 is getting? Especially saying New Vegas had the better story. New Vegas' main plot stopped being important when you finally catch up with Benny, you had ZERO motive to actually continue with the NCR Vs Legion plot because both camps routinely acted like c**ts.
In which case, you're perfectly able to either side with Mr House, and use his droid army to force the NCR and the Legion to take their fight somewhere else, or side with Yes Man, and pretty much take over the strip yourself.

New Vegas is not focused on a binary Legion/NCR choice. They are simply two factions that you can side with, and the game gives you options to side with plenty more. If you felt like the NCR and Legion were both acting like cunts, then the game gives you the option to fire up Mr Houses robot army and tell them so yourself.

At least in F3 you had an emotional resonance and drive with the story, (i.e. finding your father, avenging his death, continuing his legacy, etc).
You mean the father who is so very proud of you, regardless of whether you're a Megaton-destroying, ghoul-hating, karma-in-the-negative-numbers sort of person or not? And the legacy which forces you to sacrifice yourself for the greater good of the wasteland, regardless of whether you've already established your character as a self-centred, egotistical prick who cares nothing for no-one else?

That's really great role-playing there.
... Or continue to be the evil bastard (who played an evil bastard seriously and expected the game to perfectly adapt to their playthrough) and let the Knight sacrifice herself in your stead?

And either way, yeah it is still really great role-playing. Maybe you seek redemption, maybe you don't, there's choices.

Better than "Shoot that guy that shot you in the face", and once you achieve that goal, in like 3 hours, the story gets pretty boring. It just becomes a contest to see which asshole can be the biggest asshole and kill the other assholes so they can be THE PRIME ASSHOLE!

I liked New Vegas, I liked it as a literal sandbox to blow stuff up in with mods. But everything else? Pretty much Fallout 3.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
more joinable factions would be nice, the radiant quest system form skyrim should also be carried over, the option to buy property, better difficulty levels (NV was arserape city after a certain point, a point where you would normally feel like a boss, and you were still getting kicked to the dirt)

I also want to see them drop weapon maintenance and bring in more crafting and the fallout version of "Enchanting" the ability to make stim packs, powered ammo, normal ammo, and even the guns themselves. Fallout should also have Skyrim's skill system, getting better at tasks like hacking and lockpicking just by doing the task, then selecting the perks you want based on what you use naturally.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
DoomyMcDoom said:
I agree that to a certain extent that could work, but since it already does, maybe you mean a basic paint scheme style armour changing, because honestly the way the armour works in that game is simple, and has always been simple, if you want to wear a suit of armour that looks truly unique in a post apocalyptic setting may I suggest playinf fallen earth, it's free to play now, if you haven't played it you may want to give it a shot.

Thing is, being a single player game I have very strong doubts that they would put so much effort as to incorporate something that made changes on a very superficial level such as having the same class of armour be "meldable" and even then where does the melding start and stop, do you just want certain servos and lights swapped? or a few plates, because if you get down to that level, it starts to get ridiculously overcomplicated and unnecessary.

Now I admit describing it as akin to rape is not the most optimal use of our language for anything other than attention stealing hyperbole, but I have seen worse, someone once desccribed the poor ending of mass effect 3 as akin to the holocaust, and deliberately attempting to commit an act of genocide resulting in millions of innocent people being murdered enmasse in the least respectable way possible, herded onto trains and herded into ovens and gas chambers then burried in unmarked mass graves, not even identified by family names, seen only as cattle to be destroyed rather than as people... you get the idea, sometimes we humans use our language skills innapropriately or in the heat of the moment.

I'm tired, and sleep will not come to me, sadly that is how things are, fortunately even in my worst state I'm more controlled than most people I know, so there is that...

Anyhow, sorry to ramble, still, when it comes down to it, it all comes down to if it is implemented to be respectful of lore and established canon, or don't bother wasting the huge added budget to crowbar a merely visual wardrobe emprettyment device into the game.

And with the shields, you'd have to limit the size to say a manhole or something similiar, and have heavy recoil if hit by say a shotgun or high calibre rifle so that a shot can be made to the center mass, otherwise it would be imbalanced and fun damaging, but it could be implemented, I just personally don't see the need, in a ruined city, or in most natural habitats there's more than enough cover, and the way they've layed out damage thresholds and whatnot I've never had a problem making a melee character viable outside of 3, because I swear in that game everyone but you gets a 10X damage boost to melee, and a huge buff to armour against, new vegas corrected that sufficiently, and it became much much more workable, you just had to be smart enough to dodge behind shit and not run straight at enemies with guns/rocket launchers.
I just think any type of customization would be a nice welcoming change, heck even being able to put symbols or patterns which you can make say camo BOS armour would be epic, I doubt any type of in depth customization will be added and it would be basic as the aforementioned symbols, colour and patterns, i know they will never add some sort of melding stats/asthetics or melding 2 armors to look like bits of both put together but i would find it epic none the less.

I find the game to be pretty easy even on the harder settings so if they added shielding it might get even easier which would suck, though i wouldn't mind the enemys having some sort of metal plate shielding to protect themselves more, maybe if you hit the plating with a Melee it find of stuns you for a second (Picture hitting a metal pole with a metal bat).

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
wrightguy0 said:
more joinable factions would be nice, the radiant quest system form skyrim should also be carried over, the option to buy property, better difficulty levels (NV was arserape city after a certain point, a point where you would normally feel like a boss, and you were still getting kicked to the dirt)

I also want to see them drop weapon maintenance and bring in more crafting and the fallout version of "Enchanting" the ability to make stim packs, powered ammo, normal ammo, and even the guns themselves. Fallout should also have Skyrim's skill system, getting better at tasks like hacking and lockpicking just by doing the task, then selecting the perks you want based on what you use naturally.
Most of that stuff is already in the game. There are loads of factions in New Vegas. There are at least 3 houses that you can live in. Making ammo and stimpaks is already in the game, and mods are Fallout's version of enchanting. And levelling up based on how much you use the skill is the exact opposite of Fallout's levelling system and wouldn't fit in the game.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Cheesepower5 said:
I want dragons in the next FO game. Big, scaley, fire-breathimg dragons.
Flying Deathclaws. Oh my God. It's like if they cross bred with a Cazadore.
yes yes YES! take my money now if cazadore/death claw hybrids are in FO4

I'd only like to see a sprint function from skyrim tying it to ones Agility skill. And perhaps some weather system implemented as well. keep skill grinding away though, can't say I'm a fan

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Its not exactly from Skyrim but a wider variety of races to play as would be cool, I would love to play as a ghoul or super mutant.