things in games that make no sense

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
why don the protoss make all there units invisible. dark Templars are, they have it on at all times so it clearly not a energy issues so why not all units. it not like it would hinder them in any way. also where do they warp troops in from. is it from a spaceship, is it from a planet?

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
How would a solid gold desert eagle work? Gold is really soft!
HOW DOES DOUBLE JUMPING WORK?
Like Yahtzee said, What type of cutting tool fires in short, non continious bursts?
WHY DO THESE PEOPLE NEVER NEED TO USE THE RESTROOM? (except Duke Nukem I guess...)
How do Mario's clothes grow with him when he gets a mushroom?
How do these nubby RPG avatars stay the same size on world maps as when in buildings?
How does one carry 20 weapons at the same time?
WHAT IS "OH MY COD!" SUPPOSED TO MEAN, BARRY?
Chainsaws are actually very impractical weapons.
I agree with all of your points except one. The golden desert eagle. Magnum research sells gold plated ones as well as other finishes.

Mr36

Aug 30, 2009
How come, in a sandbox game (I'm thinking specifically of GTA, but most other ones will work) when you have even a minor infraction of the law, lets say, I accidentally rear-ended a police car at slow speed, the cops first response is to dive out the car and start shooting?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I don't have much to add besides dredging up something that has already been looked at somewhat extensively. The bulletsponge/healing factor in shooters is the worst offender as far as I'm concerned.
As for the realism vs fun thing... well, I have yet to find one of those shooters that's fun for any reason besides over-the-top action/comedy (and leave it to a parody of the genre to invent the most plausible reason for the healing factor: Duke's ego working as a shield). No shooter that claims any sort of realism should have an instant healing option, be it regeneration or health packs.

emeraldrafael said:
Professor James said:
emeraldrafael said:
Professor James said:
emeraldrafael said:
How you can sponge up bullets in shooter games.

I know, this is the whole realism vs. fun argument, but still, Yahtzee touched on it in one of his shooter reviews where he said you should be injured and go home as a hero of war.

I dont know, it doesnt really bother me that much (though I think it creates a bad image on impressionable minds that are on the lower spectrum of intelligence) but it pisses off my uncle and grandfather (both war vets, the former a Marine in his 40s, the latter an Army Ranger in his 80s) cause they constantly tell me that I could never do that on the battlefield.
Maybe you should try playing some realistic shooters like Operation flashpoint or rainbow six
Do you get dropped after one bullet? Lie up somewhere bleeding and having to visit the doctor to remove and sticth you up?
No but you can't heal yourself so if you're hurt, you stay that way for the rest of the mission.
Its still fantasy. you dont just start running when you're shot,a nd your body isnt good as new. If anyhting you should be fatigued even after and have difficult using that limb, especially int he kinda combat they do.
Actually, in the original Rainbow Six and in America's Army, that's pretty much how it works.
Take a round to the arm? You're dropped. You might get back up, but you won't have long, you'll be bleeding out. Take one to the leg? You're dropped, and you may be able to crawl for 30 seconds or so. Take one to the vest? You're staggered a moment, but you'll be fine. Take six to the vest? You're dropped. Head? Dropped.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I think Rebecca in Dead Rising 2 was an entirely illogical character.

She's supposed to be professional, dead set on getting her big story, and it's very clear that she considers herself to be 100% independent - and yet within two seconds of meeting Chuck (a man who she suspects is a dangerous criminal, and a man she definitely can't be involved with if she wants to present her story without bias) she is all freaking over him like a dog in heat.

And don't try to explain it away with, "Well, she was using her sexuality to get the story out of him", because that's bullcrap. You know in your heart of gaming hearts that her behaviour served the same silly function as her wearing 5-inch heels during a zombie apocalypse - to make her the central sex object in a game that didn't really need one.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
MetalDooley said:
GiantRaven said:
If this was happening with Desmond in the future sections though (as it most likely will once we get the game set there), it won't make any sense at all, what with the animus aspect being completely discarded.
Doesn't he make a few leaps of faith in Brotherhood?
There some points in AC:B right towards the end where Desmond can easily fall two stories, but he just ducks and rolls like he only dropped 3 feet.

Byurn

Jun 17, 2009
In Fallout 3/Vegas, I can only carry so many packs of cigarettes. But an infinite amount of single cigs. Why can't I just get rid of the packs and carry all of them as single ones? Oh wells.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Murmillos said:
MetalDooley said:
GiantRaven said:
If this was happening with Desmond in the future sections though (as it most likely will once we get the game set there), it won't make any sense at all, what with the animus aspect being completely discarded.
Doesn't he make a few leaps of faith in Brotherhood?
There some points in AC:B right towards the end where Desmond can easily fall two stories, but he just ducks and rolls like he only dropped 3 feet.
Ah right.I thought there was something like that but couldn't really remember properly.Thanks for clearing that up

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
how does bayonetta pull the triggers of the guns on her shoes? does she have some weird ankle toe? why does giving a pep talk heal people in gears of war 2? why has yahtzee and movie bob not been given a nation to rule?...the hell does a mushroom make mario get big rather than just high...wait...bigger = higher up. I think I just had a sudden realisation

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Corum1134 said:
Dfskelleton said:
How would a solid gold desert eagle work? Gold is really soft!
HOW DOES DOUBLE JUMPING WORK?
Like Yahtzee said, What type of cutting tool fires in short, non continious bursts?
WHY DO THESE PEOPLE NEVER NEED TO USE THE RESTROOM? (except Duke Nukem I guess...)
How do Mario's clothes grow with him when he gets a mushroom?
How do these nubby RPG avatars stay the same size on world maps as when in buildings?
How does one carry 20 weapons at the same time?
WHAT IS "OH MY COD!" SUPPOSED TO MEAN, BARRY?
Chainsaws are actually very impractical weapons.
I agree with all of your points except one. The golden desert eagle. Magnum research sells gold plated ones as well as other finishes.

Yes, I have seen these gold plates for guns, and they look FREAKING AWESOME!However, I'm referring to Duke Nukem's golden desert eagle, which appears to be made out of pure gold, save for the grips.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Really what the hell is dead eye (red dead redemption), other than overpowered I ask you is John so drunk and hell bent on owning all living things that he can slow down time it self??

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
This can apply to films aswell I guess, but in any horror game ever, why would you ever walk towards the scarey noises?!

Also been playing TDU2 recently and why does falling asleep on the job net me a career as a proffesional racer rather than being fired and tossed out on my ass....

firetamer13

Jun 8, 2010
Why is it that in so many games (Legend of Zelda comes to mind, you want not making sense? Try just about everything in that series.) horrible monsters that conquer kingdoms are quickly dispatched by slashing their tail/eyeball/tongue/other extraneous limb three times? "Oh yeah that dragon you're about to go kill? It's slaughtered armies, but I'm sure you can kill it which three whacks on its tail."

The Hot Sauce Thief

Nov 14, 2010
how in Assassins creed, your character falls off a regular building and gets hurt, but if you jump from a HIGHER point and and land in a cart of leaves or hay, you get no damage.
also how doesn't the cart break? I would have thought if a regular sized man jumped directly into a cart of hay, it would break or something.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Mr36 said:
How come, in a sandbox game (I'm thinking specifically of GTA, but most other ones will work) when you have even a minor infraction of the law, lets say, I accidentally rear-ended a police car at slow speed, the cops first response is to dive out the car and start shooting?
The cops in GTA-land are all a bunch of colossal dickholes.

Murmillos said:
Ah, ok. Then that makes no sense at the very least.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Christopher N said:
how does bayonetta pull the triggers of the guns on her shoes? does she have some weird ankle toe?
There are many things in that game I want explaining, but I'm scared of the answer.

OT: In the first Assassin's Creed, why does riding my horse in it's default speed have the guards running after me, but riding it super slow doesn't?

How does Nariko from Heavenly Sword not manage to rip chunks of her own hair off from swinging around those swords?

How the hell do you even double jump?! You're giving the finger to physics at that point.