Things that instantly kill your interest in a game

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
JRPG influences. If something even looks like Final Fantasy I normally go "Eghhh back to realistic shooters it is." Why does nobody like cover-based combat anymore? Yeah, it might be overused but it's a solid mechanic and done well (like in CoD) and by that I mean when you can move to a detached bit of cover without death occurring, it's good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much a game sequel with minor new contents to it. I am not going to pay for the new game that is the same as the first but with new extra in it (Super Mario Galaxy 2).

Feb 9, 2011
1) Any mention of a DRM

2) Rampant sexuality. Good sweet mother of god I'm tired of everything revolving around sex. I'd punch a hole in the wall if it didn't damage my wall...and my hand.

3)Poor camera work. I've dropped a few games because the camera work was just brutally awful.

4) Any MMORPG ever. I've sworn off them and no longer willing to play them. They are just huge time sinks.

5) Weak, broken or otherwise lousy storyline. If I don't care about the characters, I won't give a damn about the game either.

6) Anything linked to most sports games. I'm not paying $60.00 for a roaster update. I'd rather go play NFL Blitz on my N64. Thanks...

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Ninjat_126 said:
I get that they're recycling, but it's the way they're recycling that's interesting me. They're not just copypasting Rapture and connecting it to some hot air balloons, they're copypasting Rapture, attaching it to helium balloons, giving the whole thing a fresh coat of paint and putting in some actual protagonists instead of just Mission Delivery Devices and Floating Hands With Guns.

In short, it sounds like an improvement rather than a detriment. The game might actually be better than the first two.

(And if they'd named it something different, you'd have hundreds of people refusing to buy it since it was so obviously a Bioshock clone. They've kept it as a Bioshock game, and now it's being criticized for being different and innovative. Not even going to go into System Shock here.)
I think we should just agree to let the whole it copy and pasted System Shock thing go, its been, what a good decade or two since System shock was out, it hadn't been on any modern system, so they were forgiven for that one. (in my mind anyways) But first off, Bioshock 2 was not a copy and paste of Bioshock 1. Just because it happened in Rapture again means nothing! The story was completely different, it had no "HOLY FU-" moment like the first one had, the gameplay was improved, the plasmids updated, in fact personally, and yes I've been with the series since the beginning, the second one was a more fun game. The actual gameplay was more enjoyable. Yes it didn't have a Steinman or Cohen, the story was very short, etc. But overall it was an enjoyable experience, and Minerva's Den was actually slightly more interesting than the story.

Bioshock: Infinite is a clone. It is not innovative. It is not original. It's some guys idea that, "Dude everyone was getting tired of Rapture. We need a new setting. Lets do a special city in the sky!" If they were ACTUALLY being innovative I would praise them for it. A copy and paste job, is NOT innovative or original where I come from. If they had named it differently, and said "FROM THE CREATORS OF BIOSHOCK" then no one would have whined. Well, no one we listen to anyways.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
MGlBlaze said:
Anything that requires reaction times that are faster than an average human would normally be able to manage.

Fuck you, FFX-2 and your stupid bullshit lightning tower calibration minigame.
You don't have to actually win that atrocious minigame to get 100% completion. You just have to try all ten. You're welcome.

A good way to kill my interest in a game is to give it a medieval fantasy setting. I don't like it as a backdrop for a story. Everybody smells like shit, the environments are usually pretty interchangeable and so are the enemies(wolf, skeleton, dragon, et cetera), the people all talk with stuffy English accents(except for Leliana, which is why I loved her), and did I mention that everybody smells like shit?

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
A bad soundtrack/voice acting, terrible gameplay, and horrible story. I can usually say meh to everything else but if these things are bad in a game...

steelserenity

Jul 21, 2011
Mcupobob said:
Well escapist I was browsing GoG for a good strategy game. Clicking here and there at interesting titles when I caught myself instantly hitting the back button every time I read the phrase "Exciting turn based strategy". Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against the genre I just personally find it boring, not my cup of tea and all that.

So my lovely escapist what kills your interest in a title immediately upon reading the description?

EDIT: I love RTS by the way. Its turn based strategy that turns me off.
Same thing for me here too: Turn based strategy. It's not that I "hate" it, it's just boring as all hell. I try and I try to like it, but I end up losing just once, and I give up completely.

The Cap

Aug 14, 2011
an fps without ironsight aiming. really ruins it for me.

good example of this, like 3hours played of fallout 3, about 200 (on multiple playthroughs)on new vegas, and their basiclly the same bloddy game

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
Shooters.
I can't aim for shit. Unless it has automatic targeting, I'm not playing it. (The only exception is Deus Ex: HR because I could stealth the entire game.)