Things that you never use in games

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Chibz said:
I will never (properly) use a sniper rifle. I'm no coward.
The real coward is the one who takes the easy weapons.

(If the Sniper Rifle is overpowered in the game of your choice then it is indeed a cowards weapon.)

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I never bothered with the Survival, Herbalism, Alchemy, Potion Making skill in any game ever. Seriously, 1 hour of supplie gathering or loot the nearest camp and get 7 of the thing you are trying to make.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Shotguns.
Mostly because I'm a coward and prefer to pick of my enemies at distance.

Exception!: Bulletstorm. Loved that shotgun.

8bitsuperhero

Sep 12, 2008
In RPGs I don't use rogue/archer characters (mages for me). I also never play thieves (ironically I liked the Thief games), I can't really stand sneaking around I much rather run into the fray and kill with extravagant spells that fry the hell out of anything.

For a specific series example I never used the anamoly stones in the STALKER games. They just didn't seem worth the trouble.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Chibz said:
I will never (properly) use a sniper rifle. I'm no coward.
You may have just earned the ire of people who live and die as snipers in every FPS ever. That said I like mobile shotgun running more than sniping but I still love scoping out an enemy.

OT: I never use repel items in RPGs. It is way more fun/rewarding to encounter every randomly generated enemy and it serves to bolster your experience. Repels make it a long, boring walk without that increase in power.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
The Apothecarry said:
You know all those books in Oblivion? I never touch them. I can't help but feel bad for whoever at Bethesda spent their time writing those up.

I also never touch the rocket launcher in Reach in Multiplayer Matchmaking. I just know I'll kill myself with it.
Thats too bad because some of them are actually pretty good. You should definitely try and track down the Real Biography of Barenzai. Also your not considered a true Elder Scroll's fan until you've read The Lusty Argonian Maid at least ten times.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
I have the tendency to neglect skills or moves that don't cause damage in turn based RPGs. Like, it if causes a status ailment or affects stats, I typically won't use it. It pretty much means that I limit myself as a strategist, but it's something I've one since my Pokemon days.

EDIT: [link]http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=011810[/link]

I remembered this mere moments after posting. It's pretty much illustrates my point.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Traps. No matter what the game I find setting an elaborate trap is a monumental waste of effort as simple violent action resolves the problem just fine. Ambushes perhaps, but never a trap.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
Mines/traps are almost always a waste of time, and I prefer to be a mage in most fantasy games over a tank.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Special items(like elixirs and master potions). I always want to save them for later, but it never happens.

Mar 30, 2010
I think I use pretty much everything when I sit down and really think about it, to be fair. To kind of illustrate what I mean: I was getting ready to write that I never use traps, and this is true for every game I play - except MW2 games in which I will use Claymores to protect choke points. So I scrubbed that and was about to say that I never use a melee weapon when a firearm is available, as this is also true for every game I play - except L4D2 where I will take point with the Fire Axe nearly all of the time.

I guess everything just has a time and a place.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Traps in RPGs.
Heavy Armor.
Necromancers for some reason.
Hammers and maces.
Parties in MMOs
Lasers in KotOR
Spearmen in Shogun 2.
A lot of the guns in Dead Space 1 and 2.
Machine guns and shotguns in FPS games...Unless I'm forced or its mounted and very useful.

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
A male character if there is a choice to make a female one.
This. The main reason I've still only properly played one class from Torchlight (that, and the Destroyer is slow as hell)

I don't tend to use mages, as that just gives me another stat to keep an eye on, and I haven't come across many that don't eat MP like they're addicted to the stuff.

Traps, in any game.

Buffs and debuffs as a rule, though there are exceptions.