Things that you never use in games

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The only time I've used traps was when I played FarCry Instincts Predator, though I do use frag mines and claymores from time to time. And, I almost never use the block button in fighting and combat games, unless forced to by gameplay.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
stealth, unless u count things like silencers on guns in MP or radar jammers, and even then i dont sneak around, i still leg it with those set ups.
i will of course use stealth if the game demands it.

pistols, unless i HAVE to.

timeadept said:
Oh yeah, debuffs are usually useless too. Why drag the fight out when you can just put thous resources into getting a better damage output? The thing is that it's hard to balance as a designer because if the debuff is strong enough to speed up the average fight then why would you ever not use them?
are u mad?? debuffs are your best friend in those long-ass battles, especially boss fights, debuff the hell out of the opponent, buff yourself up then hammer away for 5 minutes.
You and I seem to play very different games. I always end up using stealth in Hitman, or some form of it when i shoot people in a careful order so as not to alert them all at once. In that game i almost always use a silenced pistol, it's with me at all times.

But no i'm not mad, it's just that even the bosses in the RPGs i play either go down too quickly, or the buffs and debuffs wear off after like 5 rounds and have to be reapplied, even then they aren't particularly useful. In Golden Sun, there are physical attacks, Psyenergy, and Dijinn Summons. I know Psyenergy damage is blocked by resistance, but physical attacks run off att and def, then there are special "howl" criticals, that special weapons have, and i don't know if they do Psyenergy damage or physical. Then the Djinn Summons, i THINK they deal Psy damage, but i really don't know. So i have the 3 buffs and 4 debuffs, yes there is no buff that increases the damage you do with Psyenergy, actually for that matter there is no debuff that decreases Psyenergy strength either so, 3 and 3. In any case, it's all such a mess with the stats that trying to figure out which buffs help what is completely hopeless, not that any of that matters, cause Djinni summons are very powerful but can only be used very infrequently, and unless you find special gear and weapons, you don't worry about trying to use howl strikes. And yeah, the buffs wear off after like 5 rounds, or the boss just casts "break" and "your stats have returned to normal".

It's such an easily countered mess that anything but the resistance buff is entirely useless (and possibly the defense debuff and i think theres a resistance debuff too). Because at least that blocks a lot of AOE damage when you consider how much each individual party member resisted.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In FPS games I rarely use "the big gun" like a rocket launcher or such things. Just because ammo is limited I always "save it" for when I really need it. Then I save so much I never use it.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I have a whole bunch of neat and cool powers in Mass Effect 2 my sentinal could be using.. but i tend to find myself shoting stuff in the face wtih my AR and replenishing my shields with energy drain and not really needing anything else... On insainity.

I don't use half the crap i have on me in Batman AA unless it's absoility called for. No homing batawrangs... or crap like that. Just kung fu madness...

In my old MMO days, there were way to many throw a ways skills you'd train just to get a better one down the line, to count.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I'm basically never a mage, or a similar magic wielder.

Never use VATS in Fallout games.

And a whole lot of other things.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
timeadept said:
CardinalPiggles said:
stealth, unless u count things like silencers on guns in MP or radar jammers, and even then i dont sneak around, i still leg it with those set ups.
i will of course use stealth if the game demands it.

pistols, unless i HAVE to.

timeadept said:
Oh yeah, debuffs are usually useless too. Why drag the fight out when you can just put thous resources into getting a better damage output? The thing is that it's hard to balance as a designer because if the debuff is strong enough to speed up the average fight then why would you ever not use them?
are u mad?? debuffs are your best friend in those long-ass battles, especially boss fights, debuff the hell out of the opponent, buff yourself up then hammer away for 5 minutes.
You and I seem to play very different games. I always end up using stealth in Hitman, or some form of it when i shoot people in a careful order so as not to alert them all at once. In that game i almost always use a silenced pistol, it's with me at all times.

But no i'm not mad, it's just that even the bosses in the RPGs i play either go down too quickly, or the buffs and debuffs wear off after like 5 rounds and have to be reapplied, even then they aren't particularly useful. In Golden Sun, there are physical attacks, Psyenergy, and Dijinn Summons. I know Psyenergy damage is blocked by resistance, but physical attacks run off att and def, then there are special "howl" criticals, that special weapons have, and i don't know if they do Psyenergy damage or physical. Then the Djinn Summons, i THINK they deal Psy damage, but i really don't know. So i have the 3 buffs and 4 debuffs, yes there is no buff that increases the damage you do with Psyenergy, actually for that matter there is no debuff that decreases Psyenergy strength either so, 3 and 3. In any case, it's all such a mess with the stats that trying to figure out which buffs help what is completely hopeless, not that any of that matters, cause Djinni summons are very powerful but can only be used very infrequently, and unless you find special gear and weapons, you don't worry about trying to use howl strikes. And yeah, the buffs wear off after like 5 rounds, or the boss just casts "break" and "your stats have returned to normal".

It's such an easily countered mess that anything but the resistance buff is entirely useless (and possibly the defense debuff and i think theres a resistance debuff too). Because at least that blocks a lot of AOE damage when you consider how much each individual party member resisted.
i guess we do play different games, for example, Pokemon... debuffs were great, global agenda, debuffs are great, final fantasy, debuffs are... good.

lets just agree that it differs from game to game, yh?

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I've only played an RPG using an archer character once. Never again.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Traps in RPG's. Healing items in JRPG's (healing magic works fine!)

Melee attacks in FPS (because my panicked up close reaction is SPRRAAAAY!)

Diamond tools in Minecraft, because I always worry I'll need them later

Bekn

Mar 16, 2011
Vivace-Vivian said:
I'm a lot more well rounded then I used to be, though I also don't use traps.

I avoid Axes like the plague too.
Axes are the bane of my gaming life.

I'm currently playing Far Cry 2 (and thoroughly enjoying it) and I never use any sort of automatic weapon unless it's mounted on a vehicle. I always use sniper rifles.

Oct 30, 2010
Any consumable really. I'll use health potions if I'm desperate but I hate it. Even on final bosses I'm loathe to use anything.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Grenades and Mines
Normally end up blowing my self up if I try to use them!!!

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
Acrisius said:
I rarely, or almost never, use potions or poisons other than the basic healing or mana pot. And even then I much prefer to get by without that when possible.

In Dragon Age for example, I don't use those resistance-buffing pots and I don't use traps either. Even though I'm a rogue with maxed out trap-making.
dude just been playing a rogue in dragon age recently so much fun to stack a shed load of traps in a corridor then drop stealth and wait for all the bad guys to die trying to run for me try it if only for laughs

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I never use the shotgun in FPS's. I think this is due to the fact that I've been spoiled by the ridiculously overpowered M3 from Resident Evil 5. Seriously, when upgraded all the way it never takes more than two hits to kill normal enemies, regardless of range.