Things that you refer to by an out of date name

Mar 30, 2010
I still say that I 'buy' games, rather than saying that I rent them temporarily on condition that I adhere to a strict set of provisions.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
I still refer to Pluto as a planet.
I will maim whoever decided that Pluto wasn`t a planet. I used to think of it as the Snarf of the universe,but he shouldn`t be COMPLETELY forgotten!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The baseball stadium in Toronto is the Skydome, not the Rogers Center. Along with a few other landmark buildings that have been bought out and renamed in similar fashion.

I still call them mixtapes, even though they're playlists and mp3s.

I still call it glitch-hop, despite the American media trying to rebrand it as dubstep, because I heard the real dubstep first.

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but there's been some effort by the people running them to rebrand carnivals to various other titles here, presumably to get away from sdome of the unsavory stereotypes. It hasn't been particularly successful.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Oh boy.

Alright, so right from the start, fucking Woolworths. Where I live, was always called Safeways, and the damn slogan ran better with Safeways anyway. Now they've renamed all their stores to Woolworths everywhere. Nope. They are still safeways, and nobody is ever going to stop calling them that.

Also, the damn "Westfield" group. Buying up a bunch of shopping centers seemingly country wide where I live, and trying to rename them all to "Westfield [Suburb name]". I know literally no-one who calls them by that name. They are all referred to by their original names pre-takeover, and even the bus routes can't be arsed changing their stop names half the time.

Same goes for almost anything rebranded around here. We don't care about its new name, it is what it damn well always was.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Bounty kitchen rolls are still Bounty kitchen rolls. None of that 'Plenty' crap!

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Joccaren said:
Oh boy.

Alright, so right from the start, fucking Woolworths. Where I live, was always called Safeways, and the damn slogan ran better with Safeways anyway. Now they've renamed all their stores to Woolworths everywhere. Nope. They are still safeways, and nobody is ever going to stop calling them that.

Also, the damn "Westfield" group. Buying up a bunch of shopping centers seemingly country wide where I live, and trying to rename them all to "Westfield [Suburb name]". I know literally no-one who calls them by that name. They are all referred to by their original names pre-takeover, and even the bus routes can't be arsed changing their stop names half the time.

Same goes for almost anything rebranded around here. We don't care about its new name, it is what it damn well always was.
Woolworths? Safeway? Have you traveled back to the 90s... oh, you are from Australia. Those those have long since been dead here in the UK. Also yeah we have the Westfield virus here too. Started out in the west, the the east for the olympics that effected local businesses with their crowd bottlenecking, they are soon making their way south and in the next decade up north. London I mean.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales which is now called the "Principality Stadium". Screw that, still calling it Millennium Stadium.

When Mike Ashley renamed "St. James Park Stadium" to "Sports Direct Arena", fuck off!! St. James' Park is one of the oldest stadiums in the UK and shouldn't be renamed to a shitty brand. It shouldn't be renamed at all or that matter. Same goes for Old Trafford, Wembley, Lord's, Twickenham and Wimbledon. Others too. We aren't the US who has nearly all their stadiums and arenas named after a brand.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I generally still use "B.C. and A.D." I live in the freakin bible belt and just don't want to deal with the inevitable crybaby hissyfit that ensues once I explain what B.C.E or A.C.E. means.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Parasondox said:
Woolworths? Safeway? Have you traveled back to the 90s... oh, you are from Australia. Those those have long since been dead here in the UK. Also yeah we have the Westfield virus here too. Started out in the west, the the east for the olympics that effected local businesses with their crowd bottlenecking, they are soon making their way south and in the next decade up north. London I mean.
Haha, yeah, sadly they're one of the two options we get down here. Well, the two guaranteed to be within an hours drive of you anyway. Aldi is also somewhat common, but just doesn't stock the same sort of stuff most of the time, so unless we want to give Coles a monopoly we've got to put up with them. Not that the current Oligopoly is a ton better...

Westfield... I swear I can imagine discussions in their boardrooms, about how they have a brand people can trust and need to rebrand all shopping centers to Westfield to communicate that and capitalise on brand loyalty or something. Sad thing is they probably honestly believe it. In my experience it has the opposite reaction, and people just resent the name change, and once that's passed, no-one cares about it and just ignores it completely. The amount of market power they've got also doesn't help, and apparently they're not the most clean in their use of it at times, but honestly I just wish they'd realise nobody actually cares about them like they want them too, and would stop trying to rename everything to the same damn name. Even if you're not going to specify which shopping center you're going to - impossible if they all end up called Westfield, which has become an issue if you were to call a number of the shops people visit around here Westfield like they want you to - you just say "To the shops". No-one is ever going to say "Do you want to go to Westfield?", with the exception of the one/s in Sydney where they originated. And its not like they don't care what people call it either, I've got friends working security for them, and am on good terms with some of the cafe owners in their stores, and they have a thing about having to refer to the store as "Westfield", regardless of its original name. Just give up. No-one is going to go along with it. I swear, the company shouldn't annoy me so much, but it just does with the stupidity of its naming scheme and wanting everyone to use it.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I sometimes use Siam to refer to Thailand, it simply gives a better idea of what the country is and where it's located for some reason.

I still sometimes call ex-Yu countries "Yugoslavia".

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I drink from 'tins' of pop.

I mainly say this to tick off others.

This is more of an incorrect naming than an outdated name, I will admit, but certain types of cans did used to be made of tin, and it has been noted as a regional colloquialism in certain places.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ooh...I still laugh out loud instead of saying "lol". Call me a traditional purist, but I kinda prefer the old way.
Borty The Bort said:
I will maim whoever decided that Pluto wasn`t a planet. I used to think of it as the Snarf of the universe,but he shouldn`t be COMPLETELY forgotten!
It still wanders this solar system, oblivious to its' new dismissive status. Nobody passed on the memo. God-speed, Pluto...God. Speed.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
I sometime still refere WWE to WWF.

Yes I know the World Wildlife Federation won the right to the initial but dammit I watched WWF as a kid with the likes of Hulk Hogen and The Undertaker!
You and me both pal.

There's so many other things too, I'm sure of it.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Parasondox said:
For the Motorsports fans out there. The Red Bull Ring. I will call it the "A1 Ring" of old. Neat track.

Some still call a Nissan a Datsun for some reason. I dunno.
What? I haven't seen a F1 race in years (got bored), they call that track "The Red Bull Ring" now? Jesus that is lame.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
The movie studio theme park in Disney World is still called MGM as far as I'm concerned (or "The theme park formerly known as MGM")

Xfinity is still Comcast too, even if they keep moving away from it.

Then there are phrases, like "Roll down your window" even though we just use buttons for it now.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Wintermute said:
Parasondox said:
For the Motorsports fans out there. The Red Bull Ring. I will call it the "A1 Ring" of old. Neat track.

Some still call a Nissan a Datsun for some reason. I dunno.
What? I haven't seen a F1 race in years (got bored), they call that track "The Red Bull Ring" now? Jesus that is lame.
Yeah, it's owned by Red Bull and they have brought many brands and just renamed them Red Bull something

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
The first thing that came to my mind: the Centigrade scale. Yeah, I guess it's officially called the Celsius scale now, but the former name makes a lot more sense than the latter.