Things you never got over?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never finished high school.

I was in my final year during my final run of exams, and I totally broke the fuck down. I never really got the oppertunity to go back.

Every once in a while I dream I'm going back to high school, and I have to come up with an excuse for my 12 year absence.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ok.... a few years back my mum wanted to buy herself a dolls house so she could use it to play with my nieces. having never used ebay, she wanted my help, advice, and use of my ebay account ot do it. I was up fro this, I even volunteered to share the cost of the house when we won it.

So, we found the house on ebay, and I explained how the bidding would work, and how much it would cost. We put in an initial bid of about half what we were willing to pay in total, with a couple of weeks to go.

A week passes, and we're outbid. we up our bid to about 75% of what we're willing to pay... and this goes on, the bid slowly creeping up over the week, untill its literally at the amount we posted. I keep explaining to my mother we are going to be outbid, but she won;t have it - we are winning, and the amount we've bid is just fine... and if we increase the bid, it just means its going to be increasing the amount we have to pay. The night before the auction ends, its exactly the same situation, and no matter how much I plead and explain this, my mother will not listen. I come to the conclusion I'll just have to watch the auction in the morning, and catch it then if we're outbid.

So I get up, have breakfast, turn on the computer and I'm immediately called downstairs. We were in the middle of the landlord renovating our kitchen at the time, so a lot of stuff had been moved into the dining room, and my mum had decided we had to tidy it up RIGHT THIS INSTANT and was not prepared to listen to excuses or explanations, or how a lot of the stuff we're tidying away is being put into places the plumber will be moving them out of the very next day.

by the time she's finally happy, the auction has been over for an hour, and when I get on I am depressed but unsurprised to find we've been outbid to the tune of £1.

I tell mum what has happened. Now, maybe I should have said 'I told you so' or 'I did say', but I didn;t want to be a jerk. When I explain its too late to go back and rebid, as the auction is over, and we've lost, she stomps off, angry.

About half an hour later, my aunt calls. now, my room with the computer is at the top of the stairs, and I generally keep it open, so While I wasn;t listening in, I could very easilly hear what my mum was saying. And the first thing out of her?

'I'm really upset really. We lost this beautiful dolls house on ebay, because SHE was too slow checking it.'

And that was it. Every time she would talk to anyone about losing the house on ebay, it was my fault for being too slow.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Sonicron said:
Being a wuss when it was time to man up.
When my mom died of cancer in '05, the hospital called early in the morning, alerting us that this would probably be the day. Everyone went to the hospital to be with her for her last few hours - everyone but me. No, I couldn't deal with it, and like a fucking coward I rang up a friend and told him I needed to crash at his place for a day... I just ran. I wasn't there for my mom, I didn't comfort her, I didn't say goodbye. And my little brother, usually the most irresponsible and unreliable sheep out of the entire flock, told me she died a minute after he told her I wasn't coming (after she'd apparently been asking about me again and again).
It still physically hurts when I think about it. I suspect I'll carry this pain and shame to the grave, and deservedly so.
That's really suck, man. My uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer a few years back. Everyone went to visit him this one day, and apparently it was so great and he was joking around with them but also had very personal talks with a lot of family members. I don't think I was busy that day I just didn't want to see him like that... but then he got worse a couple days later so when I did see him, he wasn't really "there" and I felt so terrible. He died soon after that. I really regret not going the first time. He was one of the best people you can imagine...

Also, not climbing into this girl's bedroom. Fuck. She was the first girl I was totally crazy for and also happened to be my next door neighbour. We snuck out at night many times and went for walks, made out a couple times. One night I'm at her window to get her to come out and she's inviting me in... I know what would have happened (now), but I was scared of her step dad finding me in there (their rooms are opposite sides of the hall). I also was stupid about other things in regards to her. Should have just enjoyed the experience instead of pushing for boyfriend/girlfriend first. And after we didn't talk for a couple years, we hung out one day. I went to her place (basement suite) after taking her on a date. Can't believe I didn't make a move. I was such an idiot. I always, always regret that and wonder what would have happened if I just manned up and kissed her. I swear I can remember every detail of that night even though it was... maybe 5 years ago now.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Sonicron said:
Being a wuss when it was time to man up.
When my mom died of cancer in '05, the hospital called early in the morning, alerting us that this would probably be the day. Everyone went to the hospital to be with her for her last few hours - everyone but me. No, I couldn't deal with it, and like a fucking coward I rang up a friend and told him I needed to crash at his place for a day... I just ran. I wasn't there for my mom, I didn't comfort her, I didn't say goodbye. And my little brother, usually the most irresponsible and unreliable sheep out of the entire flock, told me she died a minute after he told her I wasn't coming (after she'd apparently been asking about me again and again).
It still physically hurts when I think about it. I suspect I'll carry this pain and shame to the grave, and deservedly so.
That's really suck, man. My uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer a few years back. Everyone went to visit him this one day, and apparently it was so great and he was joking around with them but also had very personal talks with a lot of family members. I don't think I was busy that day I just didn't want to see him like that... but then he got worse a couple days later so when I did see him, he wasn't really "there" and I felt so terrible. He died soon after that. I really regret not going the first time. He was one of the best people you can imagine...
Indeed, I know the feeling. I'm glad for you that you at least got to say goodbye, even if the circumstances were unfavourable.

Personally, I've never been able to let go of my grief entirely, and it didn't take long for me to transform it into rage and bitterness. It certainly doesn't dominate me, but it's a part of me nonetheless, always there for better or worse. It's made me a more hardened person - most things that shock other people don't even faze me; however, I think it also numbed me to a lot of positive feelings. For example, I've actually forgotten what love feels like over the past few years, and... well, the thought doesn't really bother me.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Frybird said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
1. Every time I make an ass out of myself in front of a group of people I never can let it go. It can keep me up at night some times, and just the stupidest things to like honest mistakes or mis-following directions. things people forget about in a week I still remember after all these years.
This, this so much.

I remember a few embarrasing things from practically every year of my life since i was 5 or so. And even though i should be laughing about it, i feel awful whenever they randomly pop up and just can't let go. I wonder if they are the reason or a consequence of my insanely low self-esteem.

An awful thing i did that i can't (and shouldn't) forgive myself for (back when i was 12-14ish) is saying bad things behind the back of a friend (and cousin) because he got clingy and sort of annoying...he must've found out and aborted almost any contact with me since. I should've just said i'm sorry, even if it wouldn't have changed things.
I'm not really the guy who normally does something like this, even back then...but that just kinda makes it worse.

Genericjim101 said:
The death of my parents after taking a shortcut down an alley.
....sneaky
Thank you, I did wonder how long it would take someone to reply.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
A Satanic Panda said:
Fallout: Equestria... sniff
Have you read Pink Eyes? It's an FO:E side-fic with an adorable (and nigh-on invincible) main character. I found it a great antidote whilst reading the grimdark mess that is Project Horizons (seriously, after those last few chapters, I wonder what goes on in that author's head)

As for me, it was a girl I asked out for Valentine's Day in 2010. We'd both been on the Student Committee at my college since the previous September. At the time, I thought I had a pretty good chance; we talked regularly, joked together and got on pretty well. I even had a couple of people tell me they thought she liked me.

So, on the Friday before Valentine's Day (also the last day before the half-term break), our committee were selling fake roses for £2 a pop for charity. Right at the end of lunch break, I find myself alone in the little room we used for our meetings with her. She laments that no-one bought her a rose all week. Golden opportunity, right? So I buy her one and ask her out on a date. She tells me she'll be busy throughout half-term, but perhaps afterwards when college starts up again. Now I realise alarm bells should have started ringing there, but this was the first girl I'd ever asked out and so I naively went along with it, exchanging mobile numbers in the process.

So, for the next four hours, I'm walking on air. I can barely keep a smile off my face, because I'd finally manned up, asked a girl out, and she'd said yes! (Or so I thought) Anyway, about 6pm, I get a text message from her. I forget the exact wording, but it was chock full of generic rejection phrases like 'you're such a great guy, but...' and 'let's just be friends', etc, etc. Here's the real kicker; it was written in text speak. I was a 'gr8 guy', apparently.

This is what got me the most. Not so much the fact I'd been rejected, but the fact that I'd asked her out in person, and she'd given me false hope and lied to my face. She could have told me there, she could have phoned me, but no, instead she decides to blow me off with a text she couldn't even be bothered to spell properly. At worst, she was an utter *****. At best, she was a coward and so socially oblivious that she couldn't see how much her actions were going to hurt me. I hated her for it then and still resent her now.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
in 4Th grade my GBA SP was stolen and I know who did it but I never had the proof. If I ever get a time machine I'm coming for you Jamie...

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
I was born with a slow physical development, co-ordination and all that.
So i became a physical mimic. Thing i'm right handed and my mother ( the person i mimiced ) is left handed. Any way by the time i was 10 they said i was a slow learner as my hand writing was really messy. Yeah you just tell a 10 year old he's a slow learner.

I was also attacked by a kid after school and he slashed me with glass, so i told the principle and my parents. the principal cross examined the other kid and believed him over me, even after i showed him the cut on my chest. So he made me call my parents and tell them i was lying. After that for years i never told the truth on the grounds of them not believing me anyway.

my uncle, quickly followed by my mother both had psychotic breakdowns when i was 13.

when i was 16 i went to live with my grandmother who i figured out had cancer, she made me promise to never tell anyone. she died when i was 26.

at 23 i had my own psychotic break, but i've recovered somewhat now 10 years later.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I'll never get over the disappointing conclusion of that "so my girlfriend dumped me..." thread. Also my childhood. More specifically my mother letting her abusive boyfriend move in and her lovely habit of beating me whenever I complained that I had been beaten.

stinkyrobot

Nov 20, 2009
Me and one of my friends where ten and where waching some stupid show on the family channel. He was being a dick all day and while we where watching the show he kept making fun of me saying how I wanted to have sex with Myley Cirus, or something. Eventually I got really angry at him and grabed his wrists pulled him down( we where sitting on his couch) and I kneed him in the face 3 times. His older brother was watching and said that I should go sit down somewhere else. The worst part about it was that I didn't get in trouble, because his older brother thought that he deserved it and when he told their mom she did to. I guess he sort of did, but I felt like I should of been punished. The oddest part about it was they never told my parents about it and the next day my friend acted like nothing had happened and didn't tell anyone about how he got a bruise on his face.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Melon Hunter said:
A Satanic Panda said:
Fallout: Equestria... sniff
Have you read Pink Eyes? It's an FO:E side-fic with an adorable (and nigh-on invincible) main character. I found it a great antidote whilst reading the grimdark mess that is Project Horizons (seriously, after those last few chapters, I wonder what goes on in that author's head)
I have, and I've stalled at the last 2 chapters because I don't want to find out the ending. Confound these ponies, they drive to fear a side-story of a fan-fic of a cartoon about ponies.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I was always a really good kid in Elementary school (Hell I'm 19 and still a "good kid"). I remember having cards in our classroom of different colors with green being the best. If you were misbehaved you got a card pulled. I always prided myself in my perfect green record throughout the year. That all ended one day when I got my wonderful green card pulled at lunch. All because I didn't push my chair in. My perfect record ruined because my chair was a few inches too far from the table! It was rather disheartening to a 7 year old.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I have a feeling I would be answering this thread by saying "University" were it not for the fact that I'm still going through it now...

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
gritch said:
I was always a really good kid in Elementary school (Hell I'm 19 and still a "good kid"). I remember having cards in our classroom of different colors with green being the best. If you were misbehaved you got a card pulled. I always prided myself in my perfect green record throughout the year. That all ended one day when I got my wonderful green card pulled at lunch. All because I didn't push my chair in. My perfect record ruined because my chair was a few inches too far from the table! It was rather disheartening to a 7 year old.
Wow... who was your teacher? Stalin? I remember the green yellow red card system. The only time I ever got yellow is when we were cutting out birds from a paper, and I accidently cut off one of its feathers. I got so scared that I would get in trouble for messing it up I didn't hand it in. And tried to keep it away form the teacher when she wanted to see it.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
Well after being bullied throughout elementary school and the beginning of middle school, I became very withdrawn and in some cases paranoid. Not physical bullying mind you, most was mental with the heavy hitters being the ones that cost me the closest thing I had to a friend in school (not the regretfull part yet).
Anyway, around 7th grade (maybe it was 8th) me and my best friend at the time (I had finally formed a circle of friends in 6th grade) were at an anime club party at the library and a girl I've know for a bit from the club asked me out. Now, after constantly being told I was ugly, disgusting, etc., I couldn't comprehend that she was asking me. So I look behind me at my friend who didn't hear (or maybe he did and was trying to mind his own business) and tell him the girl was trying to talk to him. As you would imagine there was confusion. After a few minutes of working things out, they finally convinced me that she was asking me out and not my friend. I imediately think it's another stunt to bully me again and lose another friend, so I said "No. You don't want to ask me out, don't lie!" and I ran away. I more or less avoided her the rest of the party. I look back now and realize how much of a...I will go with jerk... I was and wish I could make it up to her. We are still friends now, but we don't talk too often.
It also should be noted this isn't the only time it happened. I was too much of a coward to fully trust someone, even if they were my closest friend. It wasn't until 11th grade when a good friend pulled me out of the funk that made me so socially awkward at times. I have plenty of other small things I beat myself up for a bit now and again, but I just have to make the best of it by ensuring I don't act that way again, and being there for my friends so they don't go through what I did, at least, not alone.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
A Satanic Panda said:
Wow... who was your teacher? Stalin? I remember the green yellow red card system. The only time I ever got yellow is when we were cutting out birds from a paper, and I accidently cut off one of its feathers. I got so scared that I would get in trouble for messing it up I didn't hand it in. And tried to keep it away form the teacher when she wanted to see it.
It was during lunch and I've always had the nasty lunch ladies. These were the same people that would routinely make the whole class stand outside in a line at recess instead of playing because we were loud during lunch.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Giving into peer pressure, which resulted in me dating my best friend (who, apparently, and a crush on me since grade four) for a bit. I didn't see him in that way, but his skank of a cousin (who I will never forgive. Ever.) basically guilt tripped me into dating him. We broke up, tried again, broke up.

Wanna know the kicker? First time we broke up, I had a friend to do it, second time a note! I was so cowardly that I didn't even have the courage to say "I want to break up" to his face! HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND! He was one of the first guys to befriend me.

It's the one thing that I'll never get over. /shit that'll effect future relationships

I also never get over the fact that I never beat a single Pokemon game. Damn my lack of patience.