Things you regret saying on forums

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've said many things I've regret saying throughout my time on the Internet. Most recently on that one thread talking about the latest Army of Two game. I got into an argument over whether or not the game was offensive due to the fact it involved drug cartels in Mexico. I say some stuff that was misinterpreted by the other side and I ended up saying some stupid stuff in order to try to explain myself.

I was never good at debating or trying to get opponents to see my side of things. I don't even know why I try. Whenever I enter them, my mind gets jumbled when it comes to what I want to say.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
bleys2487 said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Daystar Clarion said:
bleys2487 said:
I'm a rape survivor. I always seem to regret ever bringing it up ://
'Survive' isn't really the right word. You don't 'survive' being raped any more than you, say, 'survive' being robbed.

I'm guessing you regret mentioning it now, huh :D

Edit: The more I think about it, the more dumb that sounds. I'll leave it for now though.

OT: I've said a number of things I regret, everyone does.

Said some dumb things about MLP when it first took off.
Oh COME ON, I am having a hard time restraining myself as it is, trying very hard NOT to make an inappropriate joke and whatnot.
Yeah, I'm really learning not to be surprised anymore.

Yeah, bring surprised on the internet...
But hey at least you get to call me a misogynistic rape-supporter etc...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Not regretting having said anything specific, but I do wish sometimes I didn't continue in a discussion with a few folks who weren't interested in a discussion as much as they were interested in being a keyboard warrior.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I don't regret anything that I've posted, there's no reason to. Why would I insult logic and loyalty?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Probably lots, I posted a lot of dumb stuff, but it was mostly a while ago so I doubt anyone remembers them. If anyone was around late '08/early '09, and actually read any of my posts, they probably think I'm a dribbling moron.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I often regret voicing a strong opinion, because I just know I'm going to get called out for it and I just can't be bothered responding and getting into a huge debate over it. Ever had 45 notifications because you said "I think Arkham Asylum is better than Arkham City?"

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Anything I said when I was drunk. I think I've done that at least twice on here.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I probably talk about deeply personal matters too much, but with anonymity and all that it probably doesn't matter. I've been guilty of trying to say factual things and having my information wrong, but I learned to take 30 seconds and verify shit before I say it. Not being afraid to admit wrongness, and being warning-free, I say I don't feel so bad about it.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
ShadowRatchet92 said:
Has this ever happened to you?
I have frequented a variety of different forums and the content of my posts shift more dramatically than you might expect across them. More to the point, so does the dumb shit I say on them. There are drama posts pre-teens would be ashamed about on several role-play forums, embarrassing fan-fictions from when I actually was a pre-teen (with the assumption that sites that ancient still exist), stories from MMO's I've decided to repeat to the public where I come off as mentally deficient and the list goes on, and on, and on.

On the Escapist however, things take a slightly different route. There's obviously still the usual mistakes that stem from my lack of proof-reading or simple thoughtlessness that really shof off my supreme idiocy but that?s too be expected. What separates it from most other forums I currently frequent I tend to write ridiculously personal posts, particularly about my mental state, that I then usually feel the need to edit. Fortunately, most of these get trashed before I actually hit posts - but there are a few of them out there.

BandicootPower

Jun 14, 2012
My first post here was about having extreme difficulty using a mouse and keyboard. So I asked the question: why do "PC Elitists" preach that a mouse and keyboard is the best controller, of all time, ever.
Turns out my extreme difficulty using a mouse and keyboard was because I was drunk. Also I was playing a game that was designed for console controllers (GTA). Kind of regret making a thread about it and wasting people's time.
I don't post much (on this forum or others) so I leave little scope for regret. I probably should post more on this one now that I think about it. I really like this site and I think I've lurked long enough.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I haven't said anything here so far that I regret. I do remember one thing I said back in 2006 on another forum and I regretted it cause it was extremely bias.

But other than that I always try to check my words carefully to make sure I will not regret anything.

There's some arguments I regret not continuing (one most recently on one of the feminism threads), but I figure that it's not like I've lost anything.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Everything I posted as a 13 year old Christian without any true understanding of the religion I ascribed to, I regret now as a 24 year old agnostic. I really feel bad for some of the stuff I said about gay people.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I've had a bit of a snarl at a few people around here.

Also, I have a bad habit of getting caustically sarcastic with people who probably didn't have it coming.

Also, also, I remember making one rather toxic comment on a Youtube video. It had to do with hunting for sport.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
bleys2487 said:
Edit: Yeah, that's dumb, forget I said anything.
So you said something you regret on the thread about saying things you regret?

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AgentLampshade said:
I often regret voicing a strong opinion, because I just know I'm going to get called out for it and I just can't be bothered responding and getting into a huge debate over it. Ever had 45 notifications because you said "I think Arkham Asylum is better than Arkham City?"
That's interesting, I thought the general belief (around here at least) was that Arkham Asylum was the superior game. I disagree, personally, but I can understand why people would believe AA is the better title.

TopazFusion said:
I'm a rather private person, so I haven't revealed much personal info about myself here.

I have got into some pretty heated arguments here, but the other guy always seems to come off worse (usually getting themselves warnings, suspensions, and sometimes even a ban, when replying to me).
What a maverick!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ehhh not really. I can sometimes just have trouble clearly explaining everything in words, I'm always aware if what i'm writing out is turning into something a bit insulting or insensitive or risque and stuff so I can tone it down before I post. Something people can lack I would wager.

Oh it helps that I never even OPEN a racism, sexism, rape etc etc centred thread. Ever. God they're so damn toxic, I don't even have any special opinions except that if you're going into something these days actively looking for racism or sexism you are going to find it.

It's like people have broadened what all the nasty "ism" words actually mean.

As for rape well... It's bad, don't do it 'k hun?

I never post while drunk either (read: I never drink alcohol ever) so that helps. I do post in the ungodly hours of the morning however so maybe that's almost as bad.

I always like to end on something light hearted I suppose. It could be the most negative thread ever and I would manage to end with an "at least we still have X" or a bad joke or a funny picture or something.

[sub]Nailed it![/sub]

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
bleys2487 said:
People online generally have too much anonymity and not enough respect to be worth sharing such details with.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Not a damn fucking things. Most things I have said in the past I will stick with in the present for I can do no wrong.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
A few weeks ago, I made an off-hand remark about being embarrassed that I once played a Pokemon game. It wasn't a serious statement and I have no hate for the games, but apparently quite a few Pokemon fans hang out here. Who knew, right?

Dry humor with self-depricating humor can be a toxic mix enough in real life, let alone typed; sometimes I just can't help myself. While there's no forum on Earth with a shortage of humorless fux (except maybe AV?), I don't blame others for not getting it. Take the good with the bad, I guess.