Thinking About Violent Games Makes Men More Aggressive

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Thinking About Violent Games Makes Men More Aggressive

The secret to a peaceful life that is free of negative thoughts is apparently not thinking about God of War and its ilk.

It seems it's not just playing violent games that affects your behavior; psychologists have found that thinking about playing them can make you more aggressive as well. A study conducted by Dr. Bryan Gibson of Central Michigan University and Dr. Brad Bushman of Ohio State University showed that men who played violent games and then thought about them afterwards showed heightened levels of aggression as long as 24 hours later.

The researchers randomly sorted 126 college students, split roughly evenly into males and females, into six groups and had each group play a different game. Half of the games were violent, such as Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and half were non-violent, like Guitar Hero. Each subject played his or her designated game for twenty minutes, and then half of the participants were asked to spend the next 24 hours thinking about the game and how they might improve the next time they played, while the other half were given no specific instructions.

The subjects returned the next day and took part in a competitive reaction test against an opponent of the same sex, were the winner was able to punish the loser with painfully loud sounds, ranging from 60 decibels to 105 decibels. The researchers also included a silent, non-aggressive option. The test showed that the men who had played the violent games and thought about them were more aggressive than those who hadn't been asked to think about the games, or had played non-violent games. Interestingly, women were not found to be more aggressive at all, regardless of which game they played or whether or not they thought about them.

The results are interesting, but it seems pretty likely you'd get similar results asking the subjects to think about a fight they had with a significant other, or the person who cut them off in traffic, or even a football game they'd watched. You can read more about the study here [http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/08/06/1948550610379506.full.pdf+html].

Source: Physorg [http://www.physorg.com/news204196308.html] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5642809/just-thinking-about-violent-video-games-stimulates-aggression]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Potenial flaw: You made them play Mortal Kombat vs. DC. The researchers are damn luck they didn't kill someone on sight after being forced to do that.

Hell, they could've just said: "Males are more aggressive after being tortured for 24-hours than non-tortured males."

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Yay for yet another attempt at making video games look like devil spawn with a study that could just as easily be applied to every other form of entertainment we have.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I'd have thought the Guitar Hero group would be more aggressive from sheer frustration...

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm... I never get aggressive after playing/thinking about violent games... Am I normal?

I think the problem here may come from the fact that they got college students to do it... From my experience there are alot of guys in college to annoy/cause pain to other guys for a laugh (I was asleep for one hour and woke up with a mouth full of hotsauce the one time...)

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
Yeah I can agree with this, spending an hour constantly dying in Prototype only to have the game freeze when I finally d finish the level introduced near toxic levels of aggression into my system.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Thinking about violent games doesn't make me more aggressive.

Reading about some asshole's bullshit study does, though. Your sample size is only 126 people? Fuck off, that means nothing compared to the MILLIONS of people who play video games.

But no, you told people about this bullshit and now idiots like the State of California will use this garbage to tell the Supreme Court that video games are bad. Fuck you, Bryan Gibson and Brad Bushman.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Meh.. I don't take this hard, really.

I mean, if I had the chance to play competetively against a random dude, win, and then the opportunity to make him feel worse about it, I'd probably take it, but not too severely. A couple of beeps at the lowest setting maybe.

My point is; it's not that I've been thinking about game violence the past 24 hours, but rather the fact that I beat a peer and want to gloat a bit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So, if I play a game where i kill things violently and brutally, i'm going to be acting more violent and brutal?

Wonderful news gentlemen.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Thinking about football, boxing, taxes, their boss and a billion other things also makes men more aggressive.

Point being?

The average male isn't exactly a shrinking violet.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
lawnmooer said:
Hmm... I never get aggressive after playing/thinking about violent games... Am I normal?

I think the problem here may come from the fact that they got college students to do it... From my experience there are alot of guys in college to annoy/cause pain to other guys for a laugh (I was asleep for one hour and woke up with a mouth full of hotsauce the one time...)
You do but you also happen to live in a world where you don't need to beat other members of your species to a pulp for the right to breed or control resources and territory. These tests are always so daft. They either have stupid/lacking controls or the data is just misrepresented. You can make men more aggressive by showing them a picture of a good looking woman for christ's sake.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i get violent thinking about reality tv and the crap fest it is. wish they would do a study on that. oh and country music makes me want to smash someones head in and pop music, and politicians, and purposely stupid people.

oddly i never get violent thinking about violent video games tho go figure.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
When a game like God of War 3 lets you punch a god for a theoretically unlimited time in first person mode while blood fills the screen, and they think violent thoughts are the most dangerous thing to come out of games...

*twitch*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds pretty Zen to me, and, makes sense...but, just because people are more aggresive, did they look at any other causes, perhaps?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Logan Westbrook said:
<The results are interesting, but it seems pretty likely you'd get similar results asking the subjects to think about a fight they had with a significant other, or the person who cut them off in traffic, or even a football game they'd watched. You can read more about the study here [http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/08/06/1948550610379506.full.pdf+html].
That basically sums up what I was thinking. This test is hardly a study on violent videogames, but more broadly a study on the effect violence has in society.

Feb 13, 2008
Study proves what researchers thought it might prove. People in subject group agree/disagree. Here's Tom with the weather.

And boy...does that "competitive reaction test" stink. So a bloke beaten by a woman is going to be more aggressive than a woman beaten by a bloke? Damn...tough to work out that one.

Funny, they never tested a woman being beaten by another woman. THAT would have been interesting.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
So they proved that aggressive thoughts make you aggressive huh? Did we really need proof of that?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hi! 20 year old man here! After playing a very violent videogame, I do NOT get more aggressive.

Stop assuming these things.

Thank you